Lifting advice

ArcticMonkey

Awards
Hi.

I lift about 8.5kg to work each of my biceps. I used to get muscle burn the day after which lasted about 3 days. Lately I no longer get the muscle burn the next day despite increase the number of sets.

My pattern was 5 sets of 12 reps and now its probably 7 sets of 12 and still no after pain/tightness in the biceps the next day.

I just read about overworking muscles and tears and I'm thinking I'm doing too much. But how can it be too much if my muscles are fine the next day, as if I never worked out?

I don't know much about workouts obviously! But the feeling the next day of a strained/tight muscle is good right? How can I make sure my workout are actually doing something and aren't a total waste of my time? It just doesn't hurt anymore no matter how many reps I do....Should I be lifting heavier weights?

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Hi.

I lift about 8.5kg to work each of my biceps. I used to get muscle burn the day after which lasted about 3 days. Lately I no longer get the muscle burn the next day despite increase the number of sets.

My pattern was 5 sets of 12 reps and now its probably 7 sets of 12 and still no after pain/tightness in the biceps the next day.

I just read about overworking muscles and tears and I'm thinking I'm doing too much. But how can it be too much if my muscles are fine the next day, as if I never worked out?

I don't know much about workouts obviously! But the feeling the next day of a strained/tight muscle is good right? How can I make sure my workout are actually doing something and aren't a total waste of my time? It just doesn't hurt anymore no matter how many reps I do....Should I be lifting heavier weights?

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Just because your muscles aren't sore the next day doesn't mean they weren't worked hard enough and aren't going to grow.

If you went from 5 sets of 12 reps to 7 sets of 12 reps, using the same weight, I would up the weight for that exercise.

A good thing to do, would be to post your stats, diet, training routine, supplement intake, and goals. It'll be easier to advise you with that information.

Also, welcome to the board!

ArcticMonkey

Awards
Just because your muscles aren't sore the next day doesn't mean they weren't worked hard enough and aren't going to grow.

If you went from 5 sets of 12 reps to 7 sets of 12 reps, using the same weight, I would up the weight for that exercise.

A good thing to do, would be to post your stats, diet, training routine, supplement intake, and goals. It'll be easier to advise you with that information.

Also, welcome to the board!
Thanks! It's good to be here. I've read a lot of threads already.

My stats are:

Height:5'11 feet
Weight:133 lbs
------------------------
My routine is:

Standing bicep curls:
7 sets of 12 twice a week.
Standing tricep extensions: 5 sets of 12 twice a week.

Pushups.
I usually count these. I can do about 32 then I rest for about 2 mins, and do as many as I can after that. Which are probably reps of 10/12 until I reach 80 reps in total.

Situps: 5 sets of 10 Twice a week.

Exercise Bike: 30 mins on highest setting 3 times a week.

Diet::aargh: !

Sometimes I skip breakfast! (yes I know) :(. I eat these foods...rice, carrots, peppers, onions, chicken, steak, ham. (These are usually in the form of chinese foods)

I consume probably too much medium cheese sometimes on a potato. I eat a lot of pasta dishes (ravioli, spahetti, macoroni) as well as white bread.

Bad stuff
: Sausages or a cheeseburger. Once a week or every other week and a pizza sometimes in there too :( Also, maybe 1 fizzy drink a week. Damn I feel terrible now!

I use a protein shake called Maximuscle. This provides 90g of protein per day. I've gained 6lbs in about 1.5-2 months using it. Though I can't see it myself!

I should also point out my body type. This is basically what I look like: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Male_torso.jpg/180px-Male_torso.jpg
Except I have a few unwanted pounds of fat around the chest and stomach. The chest fat obsures the definition I have in my pecs which are larger than that guys, (biceps too).

My goal:

-Reduce the fat around my waist and chest for a 'tighter torso'
-Extra chest muscle.
-Build strong arms.

This guy isnt a bad example:
http://www.dinside.no/km_bilde/8/182878.jpg

Is this unrealistic? Sorry for long post, wanted to be spot on with the details.

I really appreaciate your tips.

Adam.

adonnas

Awards
also, as your body gets used to the exercises you are doing you will notice you don't get sore anymore, but you will still see results.
i only get sore/burn after i have had an extended break due to whatever reason, then usually a few weeks back into it i find i don't get very sore anymore.

Bull Mkt

Awards
Thanks! It's good to be here. I've read a lot of threads already.

My stats are:

Height:5'11 feet
Weight:133 lbs
------------------------
My routine is:

Standing bicep curls:
7 sets of 12 twice a week.
Standing tricep extensions: 5 sets of 12 twice a week.

Pushups.
I usually count these. I can do about 32 then I rest for about 2 mins, and do as many as I can after that. Which are probably reps of 10/12 until I reach 80 reps in total.

Situps: 5 sets of 10 Twice a week.

Exercise Bike: 30 mins on highest setting 3 times a week.

Diet::aargh: !

Sometimes I skip breakfast! (yes I know) :(. I eat these foods...rice, carrots, peppers, onions, chicken, steak, ham. (These are usually in the form of chinese foods)

I consume probably too much medium cheese sometimes on a potato. I eat a lot of pasta dishes (ravioli, spahetti, macoroni) as well as white bread.

Bad stuff
: Sausages or a cheeseburger. Once a week or every other week and a pizza sometimes in there too :( Also, maybe 1 fizzy drink a week. Damn I feel terrible now!

I use a protein shake called Maximuscle. This provides 90g of protein per day. I've gained 6lbs in about 1.5-2 months using it. Though I can't see it myself!

I should also point out my body type. This is basically what I look like: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Male_torso.jpg/180px-Male_torso.jpg
Except I have a few unwanted pounds of fat around the chest and stomach. The chest fat obsures the definition I have in my pecs which are larger than that guys, (biceps too).

My goal:

-Reduce the fat around my waist and chest for a 'tighter torso'
-Extra chest muscle.
-Build strong arms.

This guy isnt a bad example:
http://www.dinside.no/km_bilde/8/182878.jpg

Is this unrealistic? Sorry for long post, wanted to be spot on with the details.

I really appreaciate your tips.

Adam.

Wow...where would I start if I were you?!?!?? Here's a good basic approach for you. I'm assuming that you are a beginner based on your profile:

First of all, at 5"11 and 133 lbs, you shouldn't be worrying about fat!!! You should be approaching your workouts with the intent to change your body composition. Working out to increase muscle mass while eating better will shed unwanted body fat and get you to where you want to look. Work on your diet...you need at least 1 to 1.25 grams of protein for every pound you weigh...at your current weight, you need a minimum of 133 grams of protein to support muscle growth. With 90 grams of it coming from shakes, you should be aiming for closer to 170. Loose the white bread and eat wholegrains (wholegrain bread, brown rice, etc...). Loose the ham and eat fish instead. Loose the Chinese food and throw in a multi-vitamin every night before you sleep. You're still young so the occasional pizza and soda aren't going to kill you.

Your workout routine is sorely lacking. Implement more types of motions and don't split them up into two times per week. Hit each body part hard once a week. For example, instead of doing 7 sets of curls twice a week, do about 10 hard sets once a week. And do more than one motion for heaven's sake...try 3 sets of barbell curls, 3 sets of hammer curls, and 4 sets of another bicep motion. Instead of 12 reps, do 6-8 reps of heavier weight. As a relative beginner, EXECUTE EACH MOTION WITH PROPER FORM!!! Since you just started, it's easier for you not to develop bad habits.

That being said, I'm only addressing the bicep curls as an example. Really, you should be doing more compound motions that use more than one muscle. At your height/weight, I would be an idiot not to do squats (for legs, glutes, calves,etc), deadlifts (back growth, legs, etc), pullups (back and biceps), arnold presses (for shoulders and tris) and dumbell presses (chest and tris). Forget the pushups altogether!!!

BTW, your goals, considering your height and weight, would make you look like your typical gym ignoramus (not calling you one mind you) with a developed chest and arms but with stick legs and no shoulders.

Look at your body as FOUR SECTIONS:
1) The upper front (chest, front shoulders, abs, biceps, etc.)
2) The upper rear (traps, lats, rear shoulders, triceps, etc.)
3) The lower front (quads, lower abs, hip flexors, etc.)
4) The lower rear (hamstrings, glutes, calves, etc.)

The reasoning behind this approach is simple. You'll be amazed by how much quicker your upper body will develop if you develop your lower body as well (same goes for the front and back of your body). Your body is truly an engineering marvel because it has a natural tendency towards balance. For example, if you were to ONLY work on your chest and never work on your back, you'll find that after a bit, your body will react to this approach by slowing down your chest development. BUT, work on your back (the opposite motion to your chest), and your chest will increase more quickly. This is because your body has a natural adherence towards balance. Same relationship between triceps and biceps, upper body and lower body, quads and hams/glutes...you get the picture. Above all, good luck and don't quit...you'll love yourself for doing this. BTW, I really enjoy responding to beginner posts like these..it bugs me when guys respond with just "do some searches" or "do some reading." I figure we all started somewhere...

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
well so much to say after reading your habits but it's late and i'm guessing bulk covered most of it. just dont get caught up in chest and bi's. you'll look retarded. good thing you're checkin this stuff out early so you caught yourself though. tends to be many beginners mistake so dont feel bad about it. i'm still a beginner myself. also you will hardly be able to see the gains yourself for a while. it's just because most people who are into lifting will look at their body everyday. over about a year i went from 150-190 and everytime i look i dont see the changes. but it's obvious i got bigger. you just cant see the drastic changes and in time you'll be able to see slight changes in your body. good way to check that out is to get measurements if you know anybody who could do that for you. other than that listen to Bulk^^.

Many people take diet for granted and just try to hit the weights hard (aka me for a really long time) i think diet is the most important thing. keep posting stuff and ask as many questions as possible. best way to learn. good luck man.

p.s. stay away from supps for a while. it's a long journey but most definitely worth it. stay consistant brotha. latas

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
diet is nearly 80% of your success in this sport. you cannot just lift and expect to get big. or toned. or whatever your goal may be. you don't get big when you're in the gym, you grow when you're outside the gym, at home, resting, sleeping and most importantly --- eating. to get big, eat big. but i say eat the right things. don't limit yourself to tofu and salads or anything crazy like that. they won't help you reach your objectives. eat the right portions for your weight and body type but focus on proteins coming from lean animal meat, chicken, turkey. carbs coming from whole grain sources. and also animal fats and omega 3s.

if you figure out a proper diet for yourself, then you will grow no matter what training protocol you follow. just make sure that when you train, you train hard and always to the point of thoroughly working each muscle group.