Time under tension

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've dabbled with some slow rep speeds (explode/ 2 second pause/ 4 second eccentric) with mediocre to good results. I'm currently searching till my eyes bleed for a routine accompanied by at least some science that incorporates rep speeds and time under tension into the philosophy.

I've had good results with the following strategies:head:
-typical 5 day split with 3 sets of 10
-5x5
-P/RR/S
-Volume training with All supersets with push and pulls splits
-Personal 5x5/PRRS hybrid

I've read about DC, Max OT, and HST and don't think any of those routines are for me :yawn:

My goals are hypertrophy during a lean bulk. I'm not concerned with power or strength at this time. I've been sloppily lifting since I was about 14 and have about 4 years of intelligent avid bodybuilding under my belt.

Any suggestions are welcome :cheers:

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
I read an article in an old MD mag that was about that. They said that if you were to count during example, a flat bench, to switch the count up. For instance count 3 on the way down and then 1 on the way up, or 2 on the way down, and 4 on the way up etc. Never surpassing 5 seconds. Changing the count every rep doesnt allow your muscle fibers to become accostumed to spreading out their stamina for the lift (or gain muscle memory). This article was about applying this idea to your current workout routien. I am going to look for the mag and see if I can get you the author. Hopefully this helped a little. Good luck. :thumbsup:

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This article was about applying this idea to your current workout routien.
quite frankly, this sounds like a good start :clap2: I'm currently employing a typical 3 sets of 10, 5 day split and dabbling with some TUT concepts. I just like to see a bit of science behind it to know that I'm using productive philosophies.

I also forgot to mention, that I have 2 other motives in choosing this strategy. I'm working on making my routines more efficient time wise as work schedule is interfering big time with my typically longer routines. I'm also trying to get more results out of using lighter weights as I have a few very mild joint issues from going really heavy recently.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
i know you said hst is not for you but as far as hypertrophy goes, it really works. i put on 4 lbs of lbm in eight weeks. it doesn't seem like much, but, hypothetically speaking of course, if i can put on 4-5 lbs in 8 weeks training naturally, thats around 30-32 lbs a year. of course diet and especially training have to be FOLLOWED TO A T while doing this routine. i had my doubts at first because i was so accustomed to a one body part a day routine but after one cycle i am hooked. i will go back to high volume while i'm "ON" but when i'm natural i'll be using hst for sure. i'd say give it a try. you definitely won't LOSE any size or strength. i have some really good pdf files on hst i can give you if you're interested.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
quite frankly, this sounds like a good start :clap2: I'm currently employing a typical 3 sets of 10, 5 day split and dabbling with some TUT concepts. I just like to see a bit of science behind it to know that I'm using productive philosophies.

I also forgot to mention, that I have 2 other motives in choosing this strategy. I'm working on making my routines more efficient time wise as work schedule is interfering big time with my typically longer routines. I'm also trying to get more results out of using lighter weights as I have a few very mild joint issues from going really heavy recently.
the whole routine is based on the science of muscle hypertrophy. it is not a strength routine, although strength does go up. i broke through a plateau which was the original reason i had even turned to a new routine.

it really does sound like hst is a perfect match. my workouts are 45 min. to an hour at the most. the 15's at the beginning really do wonders for strengthening your joints and tendons. plus, you are lifting with submaximal weight. you only hit your max for the target rep range 3-4 times in a 6-8 week hst program.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
HST, Max OT, and DC are probably some of the best routines out there for maximizing hypertrophy. If anything, try your best to incorporate the principles utilized in these programs.

training frequency/recovery time
progressive loading
compound exercises
low volume/high intensity
rep variation / intensifiers

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
the whole routine is based on the science of muscle hypertrophy. it is not a strength routine, although strength does go up. i broke through a plateau which was the original reason i had even turned to a new routine.

it really does sound like hst is a perfect match. my workouts are 45 min. to an hour at the most. the 15's at the beginning really do wonders for strengthening your joints and tendons. plus, you are lifting with submaximal weight. you only hit your max for the target rep range 3-4 times in a 6-8 week hst program.
Ok, I'll be willing to learn more. The HST article that I read seemed to be throwing around terminology without "linking" it to the suggested protocols. Links to the pdf? :cheers:

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I'll be willing to learn more. The HST article that I read seemed to be throwing around terminology without "linking" it to the suggested protocols. Links to the pdf? :cheers:
Celc, if you try HST out, I would like to get your impressions of it. I love Max-OT, but it might be good for me to change it up once in awhile.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
HST works! I freaking hate training that way, but it works damn good.

I try to run an HST cycle every once in a while.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
HST works! I freaking hate training that way, but it works damn good.

I try to run an HST cycle every once in a while.
i absolutely hated it at the beginning. i almost threw the whole routine out the window. but i stuck with it, and it paid off in the end. weights got heavier, and i started to see results that spoke for themselves. now i actually have fun working out. before i was just going through the motions in my old split, maxing out every workout, and not making in forward progress. but now, i know what exact weights i will be using and what goals i HAVE to hit each workout.