Rear Delt

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.79%

Cool Rear Delt

Whats up fellas? I am going to get to the point. Right now my rear delt is much smaller than the rest of my shoulder. I was wondering what you guys would recommend do to help fix this. My shoulder day looks like this

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Upright Row
    Lateral Raise
    Bent over Lateral Raise . . . . . .3 sets of 10-12 reps of each

Should I add another exercise for rear delt, I dont want to over train. What do you guys think? Thanks alot

2. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.58%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jbono731 View Post
    Whats up fellas? I am going to get to the point. Right now my rear delt is much smaller than the rest of my shoulder. I was wondering what you guys would recommend do to help fix this. My shoulder day looks like this

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Upright Row
    Lateral Raise

Should I add another exercise for rear delt, I dont want to over train. What do you guys think? Thanks alot
    i read an article dennis wolf wrote saying he had the same problem.Everyone usually has this to some degree.Start shoulders with bentover raises,then do presses.Try this and see what happens.Usually people do rear delts last when they're tired....i say do em first!!! ..and keep the reps high with the bentover raises!
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.32%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting Authority

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Upright Row
    Lateral Raise

I used a workout for shoulders that involved several supersets...including rear delt DB raises 10-12 reps superset with rope face pulls 20 reps.

Visible increase in rear delts in a few workouts.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/tim_wescott/delts

Thanks to Quinc for posting the workout.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.91%

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    .Start shoulders with bentover raises,then do presses.Try this and see what happens.Usually people do rear delts last when they're tired....i say do em first!!! ..and keep the reps high with the bentover raises!
    I had the same problem... About 12-13 weeks ago I started my shoulder workout with bent over raises, then to DB presses as mentioned above... It worked for me.... The back of my shoulders are really popping now.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.62%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

another vote for face pulls...
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
    another vote for face pulls...
    another. gives great depth/thickness on traps too.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.79%

This week I tried my new shoulder workout. I am going to stick with it for a while, hoping to see noticable results in the next 6-8 weeks. I am going to go Rotary/Compound/Rotary.

Bent Over Raise
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Standing Lateral Raise
    Side Lateral Raise
    Rope Face Pull-ups (ending with this, holding for 3 count . . .10-12 reps, also for this I do 4 sets instead of 3 to get that extra pump/burn in the trouble spot)

Thanks fellas, I will let you know on the outcome.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.91%

This week I tried my new shoulder workout. I am going to stick with it for a while, hoping to see noticable results in the next 6-8 weeks. I am going to go Rotary/Compound/Rotary.

Bent Over Raise
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Standing Lateral Raise
    Side Lateral Raise
    Rope Face Pull-ups (ending with this, holding for 3 count . . .10-12 reps, also for this I do 4 sets instead of 3 to get that extra pump/burn in the trouble spot)

Thanks fellas, I will let you know on the outcome.
    I don't know about anyone else. (Maybe I'm just reading it wrong).. But that looks like a lot of volume to me for a shoulder workout.... I would stick to three exercises and mix it up every 6-8 weeks. Unless your on some sort of cycle, if ya know what I mean.... Anyway, good luck man.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.8%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Thumbs up

It is awesome to see so many guys recommend Face Pulls. They work great to bring out those rear delts.

10. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

These are excellent for targeting the rear delt:

Barbell Rear Delt Row

Cable Rear Delt Row

Dumbbell Lying Rear Delt Row

Dumbbell Rear Delt Row

Smith Rear Delt Row

Personally I would not spend so much time on the isolation exercises. Target them with more compound movements like I have linked. It puts the mass on that you are looking for. It has changed my shoulder girth significantly since moving away from isolated raises and such. JMHO.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.8%

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    These are excellent for targeting the rear delt:

Barbell Rear Delt Row

Cable Rear Delt Row

Dumbbell Lying Rear Delt Row

Dumbbell Rear Delt Row

Smith Rear Delt Row

Personally I would not spend so much time on the isolation exercises. Target them with more compound movements like I have linked. It puts the mass on that you are looking for. It has changed my shoulder girth significantly since moving away from isolated raises and such. JMHO.
    Very nice exercises B.

But those compound movements you linked are done in such a way as to isolate those rear delts. The weight and movement won't really target back thickness like a regular row. Also that Cable Rear Delt Row is the same movement as the Face Pull.
  12. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

I am going to get to the point. Right now my rear delt is much smaller than the rest of my shoulder. I was wondering what you guys would recommend do to help fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    Very nice exercises B.

But those compound movements you linked are done in such a way as to isolate those rear delts. The weight and movement won't really target back thickness like a regular row. Also that Cable Rear Delt Row is the same movement as the Face Pull.
    He said he wanted to bring up his rear delt.

I specifically use those exercises because I do not want to target my back when I am working my shoulders/delts.

The Cable Rear Delt Row is the same movement as the face row but you obviously have the stabalization of being seated. This allows for much much more working weight and overloading of the muscle that you would not otherwsie get with the isolation movement of the face row.
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.8%

I believe I understand what you're saying now B.

I thought you were saying just hit the rear delts w/ compound movements (that target other muscles as well) so as to save time & energy.

But you are saying use these compound movements to hit the rear delts BECAUSE they enable you to use more weight & create more muscle overload.

Thanks for taking the time to point out my error and for adding some very useful movements to my workout arsenal...very informative and much appreciated.
  14. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    But you are saying use these compound movements to hit the rear delts BECAUSE they enable you to use more weight & create more muscle overload.
    Exactly!

Working with the position of your grip and attention to form can really isolate the delt. As well there are other muscle groups recruited [Infraspinatus;Teres Minor; Deltoid, Lateral; Trapezius, Middle; Trapezius, Lower; Rhomboids; Brachialis; Brachioradialis] that depending upon your form and execution can be recruited more or less.
    Thanks for taking the time to point out my error and for adding some very useful movements to my workout arsenal...very informative and much appreciated.
    My intention was more to make sure you understood my point rather than pointing out your error.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.33%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Upright Row
    Lateral Raise

I had the same problem last year and so I started hitting the rear delts in my back workout as well as in my shoulder workout. I would always finish my back workout with reverse pec deck and bent laterals. I did back on Monday and Shoulders on Thurs.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fave for rear delts?
    By freqfly in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
  2. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
  3. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13