Lifting on empty stomach in the morning

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I wake up at 5:30 AM on days that I am going to lift. I take my Green Bulge 45 mins pre-workout and have about 30g of protein in my stomach b4 I start lifting before school.

Now, many creatine products say to take them on an empty stomach. but then I would not have enough time to eat, take supps, and lift in the morning.

Is it ok to just NOT eat pre-workout. or should I just take supps post workout only and worry about a good meal? Yes i know dieting is importaning. its #1..just pondering whats the best for me.

Also is this catabolic? Lifting without food?

sbrb12898

Awards
u gotta have somethin to eat before ur workout an u gotta make sure u eat carbs before u lift. lifting on a empty stomach usually sucks anyway cuz ur hungry the whole time.

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
Like he said before me. Lifting on an empty stomach is no good. I usually feel sick when I lift and haven't had any food for about 4 hours or so. As for the supplements, I always have taken my creatine post workout. Thats what has always worked for me.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Alright that sounds good to me. Thanks for the help.

Turk

Awards
I take my prework out sups 45 to an hour in the morning then go lift while on an empty stomach. I'm in your situation, I have to lift early and don't have the time to space everything out. It doesn't seem to effect my performance in the gym any. But who knows.

bigrabbit

Awards
at least lift on something maybe a shake and something like a chicken breast or tuna sandwich

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
If your looking to shred alot of fat do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You should definatly never lift heavy on an empty stomach. When i worked a normal 8-4 job i used to do my cardio first thing in the morning. Come home, get my food ready and head to work. When i was done work i would come home have another meal and head off to the gym at about 5pm-630pm.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs with WMS/Supercarb along with whatever else you take pre workout should be enough to enhance performance and prevent catabolism.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Creatine PWO - when your muscles are ready to take it in.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I guess I was un-subbed to this thread.

Thanks for all the responses.

X..PWO, Pre? or Post?

PWO can mean either one from what I have seen latley.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I guess I was un-subbed to this thread.

Thanks for all the responses.

X..PWO, Pre? or Post?

PWO can mean either one from what I have seen latley.
Post.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

What about both?

I was thinking:

5-10g PRE-WORKOUT with Grape Juice

5-10g POST-WORKOUT with GJ and my Post-WO Meal.

Any input?

Once your body is loaded with creatine, anything over ~5g/day will be pissed out, unused.

Grape juice is a good carrier for it. Don't premix it though, not sure how long it takes before it starts breaking down into creatinine.

Decent article on Creatine:

TESTOSTERONE NATION

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I lift in the mornings, and almost always on an empty stomach, then I eat like a horse when I get home. I've never felt sick, or weak, or anything like that. In fact, when I try lifting heavy with food in me, I want to puke.

I take a work out drink with me with my supps in it, but only recently has it included any carbs. I started adding WMS in it. Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take my prework out sups 45 to an hour in the morning then go lift while on an empty stomach. I'm in your situation, I have to lift early and don't have the time to space everything out. It doesn't seem to effect my performance in the gym any. But who knows.
Unless you are undernourished in the other 23 hours of your day you will be just fine.

The absence of food in your stomach (readily available carbs) prior to working out may hinder perfomance and stamina for some. But other than that you are not going to become catabolic because you have not eaten in 6 to 8 hours. A good post workout meal immediately afterwards is important in this instance.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Once your body is loaded with creatine, anything over ~5g/day will be pissed out, unused.

Grape juice is a good carrier for it. Don't premix it though, not sure how long it takes before it starts breaking down into creatinine.

Decent article on Creatine:

TESTOSTERONE NATION

ahh I totally forgot about that when I first started learning about creatine. Thanks.

It takes roughly 7 hours for it too turn into creatinine.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The absence of food in your stomach (readily available carbs) prior to working out may hinder perfomance and stamina for some.
I happen to be one of those. today my morning just went sideways for no apparent reason, and I ended up not eating anything. I usually don't eat too big, but a couple slices of whole grain toast, 4 eggs, a banana maybe. Most mornings when I end up that rushed, I at least dump 30-40g of protein into my periworkout drink, but I forgot to do that. I could tell the difference at the gym :p

BuffMilwaukee

Awards
My 2 cents

Firstly Merry Christmas everyone or happy Holidays if that offended you :yawn: ... I am an evening lifter,, right after work.. I Have to have a Good Breakfast ( Or Two ) a Huge Lunch Or Three in me before I DARE to try to throw around any serious poundage...

Otherwise it just doesn't click.. Those Sats & Sundays that I sneek in a half hearted workout almost dont count because the Fuel just aint there...
Did I mention the multiple Protein shakes and Weight gainer shakes and Protein Bars throughout the day... Talk About catabolism I worked hard to get to 185 pounds, I'd be better of skipping a workout than trying to workout "HARD" without all the food I can get in me. Yes of course I also Pig out after the workout but.. you AM folks man I just don't get it...I think I'd hurt myself if I tried to do shoulder presses or something without having a couple of meals in me and already digested. I cant even think of Benching 200+ without at least one HEAVY meal... digested and recently expended (do to No Explode usually)

So thats my couple of pennies..
Peace

:head::burg::burg::burg::donut:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
i didn't read to see if this has been suggested yet but why not get a bottle of crystal light and BCAA's and sip on that as soon as you start your workout? that way you'll have more time to let your supps get absorbed and won't have to worry about lifting on an empty stomach.

Glow

Awards
I think it all depends on why you re lifting. If your objective is to burn fats, I think lifting on an empty stomach is a good idea. But it’s good that you are already taking protein shakes and protein Bars. They are good for your muscles. At 185 pounds, I think you should focus more energy on building muscles.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
DON'T LIFT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I realize this thread is 12 years old and some how has resurfaced, but I feel I need to throw my two cents worth in. I have trained in the am on an empty stomach for years ( 10, 20 maybe more) just recently I stared getting up (3am) and consuming 25 grams of protein and some carbs an hour before training, while I am a bit stronger and the pumps are a little better, I plan to return to fasted training after the first of the year, I just like it better. I have been happy with my results from fasted training and don't see any need to change. So I don't think there is a hard rule here, try training both ways and see which one suits you!!

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Rocket3015,same here,but if I do heavy lifting,I will have a banana or Apple.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Why not just have an eaa hydro whey and carb shake? Add the creatine to that. Drink pre intra and post workout. No stomach issues, fast fuel and aids in recovery

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lift whenever suits your schedule best. Empty stomach or not makes no significant difference. Calorie intake over the rest of the day does.

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
I lift 1st thing in the morning in a fasted state since last year.

Took me 1 or 2 weeks to get used to it but now i really like it. Only downside is when doing heavy and taxing movements like squats and deads, that can make you light headed. Otherwise it's fine and allows for optimal yohimbine use.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Took me 1 or 2 weeks to get used to it but now i really like it. Only downside is when doing heavy and taxing movements like squats and deads, that can make you light headed. Otherwise it's fine and allows for optimal yohimbine use.
Same Here No Problems !!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

This is my biggest problem when lifting on an empty stomach. Furthermore if I am doing any program that is based on progressive overload I often see a large difference in strength and performance when dealing with heavy poundages and trying to beat my previous sessions numbers. If I am doing cardio, abs or any type of pump work I usually don’t notice much of a difference, in fact for fat loss I think it’s better sometimes, but if the goal of the workout is hypertrophy I have found a drastic difference when I am training fed vs fasted. As I mentioned earlier my way of addressing this, especially working around a full schedule, I utilize fast carbs and eaas pre intra and post workout.