Questions about negatives

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Well, i've never really performed them before, but im doing 12 weeks of strength training, and i heard their crucial for strength.

But my question is, when do you perform them, and how much weight do you know to do/sets/reps.

Thanks

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would say negatives are effective for size but not strenght. I think it will stress the nervous system fast. I would use them sparingly if strength is your goal. I think a better approach would be lockouts or rest pause sets.

cassiusclay

Awards
i dont know what kind of equipment you have available but a good way to get that extra edge of strength would be to throw some chains on your bench sets and squat.

let them dangle to the floor so it will be easier as you go down but harder as you go up. the REALLY help and will ad some pounds to your max's while still giving you size.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
i dont know what kind of equipment you have available but a good way to get that extra edge of strength would be to throw some chains on your bench sets and squat.

let them dangle to the floor so it will be easier as you go down but harder as you go up. the REALLY help and will ad some pounds to your max's while still giving you size.

So in a way, weighted dips?

Well, im trying to add a large ammount of weight to my bench so far im steadily increaing a good 5-10 pounds on bench every two weeks.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i've heard using 30% more weight on negatives would be effective for size to cause more cellular damage to the muscles. u can also look into static holds...but as mentioned above i would use them maybe every other week

cassiusclay

Awards
So in a way, weighted dips?

Well, im trying to add a large ammount of weight to my bench so far im steadily increaing a good 5-10 pounds on bench every two weeks.
not so much weighted dips. think about how the majority of the chain is on the ground when the bar is on your chest. as you go up the chain is gradually picked up off the floor and you gradually are adding more weight.

try it and then work out with out it. it gives you explosive power.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
5-10lbs every two weeks! I'm lucky to increase 10lbs in 6months... how long have you been lifting? I'm guessing with those type of increases faily new?

Regarding negatives..
I think another poster hit it on the head.. about 15-20% above your max.. Keep in mind, like another post mentioned.. negatives are taxing onthe body, keep it to your last set and only do 3-5 reps tops.... be selective on the exercises you do them with and keep it short.. no need to do for weeks on end or you'll end up injured..

IMO.. chains would be the way to go..if you're wanting to increase strength..

Well, i've never really performed them before, but im doing 12 weeks of strength training, and i heard their crucial for strength.

But my question is, when do you perform them, and how much weight do you know to do/sets/reps.

Thanks