Help w/ Legs

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Been trying to get these damn things to grow, but I'm not sure I'm going the right way about it. First, here's some pics:

My normal routine is something like this:
extensions
warmup 30 reps
4 sets 20

curls
warmup 30 reps
4 sets 20

bb lunges
3 sets 15, 12, 10

squats
4 sets 15, 12, 10, 10

leg presses
3 sets 20, 15, 10

machine hack squats (not sure if that's what it's called)
3 sets 10

seated calf raises
3 sets 25
standing calf raises - no weight
3 sets till failure

At least once a month, I drop the reps down to the 8-10 rep range. I also will throw in the hammer strength dead lifts in place of the leg presses every other week too. For those, I do about 4 sets in the 10-12 rep range.

OK, anything different I could be doing?
Thanks-

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i think ur volume for legs is too much i would make 2 workouts out of it
workout 1 Squat, Leg Press, Extension, Curl
workout 2 Hack Squat, BB Lunge, Extension, Stiff Leg Dead stay between 6-12 reps on the squats n presses everything else stay 8-12
i would pyramid squats once a month and go super heavy like 8,6,4,2
hope that helps

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I guess I've been going high reps because that's what I've been reading. I'll give your ideas a shot. I'll give it a couple of months & see what happens. I'm also only doing legs once a week. Would it be too much to hit them 2x a week? Say about 3-4 days in between?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is a plan that will put mass on your legs and possibly make you purge a meal or two.

Squats-3 sets, 4-8 reps
SLDL-3 sets, 6-10 reps
Leg Press-3 sets, 8-12 reps
Reverse or Walking Lunges-3 sets, 4-8 reps per leg
Hack Squats-2 sets of 15 (done to failure)
Lying Leg Curls-2 sets of 15 (done to failure)

This routine puts a higher amount of demand on the posterior kinetic chain and will help to strengthen many of your other lifts as a result. Throw in your calf routine 2x/wk with your other WO's.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i would say just bomb 'em hard and give them at least 5-6 days to recover...heavy leg training takes a big toll on ur nervous system and if ur also doing heavy deads and bench u will burn urself out and overtrain...u can stick with the higher reps if u want just make sure ur pushing urself and progressing with ur weight and taking it to failure

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here is a plan that will put mass on your legs and possibly make you purge a meal or two.

Squats-3 sets, 4-8 reps
SLDL-3 sets, 6-10 reps
Leg Press-3 sets, 8-12 reps
Reverse or Walking Lunges-3 sets, 4-8 reps per leg
Hack Squats-2 sets of 15 (done to failure)
Lying Leg Curls-2 sets of 15 (done to failure)

This routine puts a higher amount of demand on the posterior kinetic chain and will help to strengthen many of your other lifts as a result. Throw in your calf routine 2x/wk with your other WO's.

that one looks good too. I forgot to mention, I'm doing calves on Tuesdays & Fridays. Here's the age old question: what's better for calves - high reps/lighter weight, or lower reps/higher weight? Perhaps one of each on each day? Tuesday Heavy, Friday lighter???

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
'nother question - do you guys just jump right in w/ squats? I'm assuming there's some sort of warm up 1st. Maybe eliptical trainer for about 10 min?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
'nother question - do you guys just jump right in w/ squats? I'm assuming there's some sort of warm up 1st. Maybe eliptical trainer for about 10 min?
I do three warm-up sets to make sure my knees and lower back are ready. Calves are really dependent on the user. If you want, do high reps one day and low reps the other.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
I think you need to consider hitting them more than 1 x per week. try doing this simple routine 2 X's weekly

Squats: 4X10
DB Lunges: 4X10
SLDL: 4X10
Calf Raises: 4X15

If it's size you're looking for don't take anything to failure.. Finish out at around 80-85% of your max. If you're eating they'll grow..