Forearm Pain

CitySleeps

CitySleeps

Awards
I have been having very sharp pain from my elbow down the back side of my forearms when I let go of heavy weight. Its a sharp buring feeling. I spoke with a trainer and he stated that I was having "forearm splints", which he said to just take advil before I work out. Has anyone ever had this. Any advice on treating this. I hope this will go away. Its hindering my gains. Thanks

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It can go away, yes. I got these from gripping the weight with a death grip on everything and it eventually led to this which is painful as all hell. You have to learn to loosen up on the grip but keep yourself safe at the same rate and don't let it go :)

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
hey, i am having the same prob. I don't think it is as bad, but it is very irritating.

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't think advil is a good solution. I only get this when doing heavy straight bar curls. I have found that using wrist wraps seems to minimize it. So maybe you could give that a try.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been through this, too. I just tried to work around it, but it probably wasn't the smartest way because I ended up making it worse at one point. It does go away, however. You might want to try some supercissus rx by USPLabs. It may help you with the pain/healing process like it seemed to help me. I agree with Jay's suggestion as well.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you jab a ball point pen in your leg...chances are you won't really care about the forearm anymore..........rember i am not a medical doctor....:blink: good luck

please dont actually do that tho....

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
I have been having very sharp pain from my elbow down the back side of my forearms when I let go of heavy weight. Its a sharp buring feeling. I spoke with a trainer and he stated that I was having "forearm splints", which he said to just take advil before I work out. Has anyone ever had this. Any advice on treating this. I hope this will go away. Its hindering my gains. Thanks
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND THEY ARE FOREARM SPLINTS... THEY CAN BE EXTREMELY PAINFUL... LAY OFF THE WORKOUT THAT TRIGGERS IT... FOR ME I HAD TO CHANGE MY BI WORKOUTS.. NO PREACHER OR STRAIT BAR... TAKE IT SERIOUSLY... I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I COUDNT EVEN SQUEESE THE BAR... THEY MAKE A BRACE FOR THIS PROBLEM. IT HAS A GELL INSERT THAT PRESSES AND FORMS TO THE OUTER PORTION OF THE FORARM AND A VELCRO STRAP TO TIGHTEN IT...LOOK INTO IT IF YOU FEEN IT NECESSARY... BUT DEFINITLY LOOEN YOUR GRIP...

GOOD LUCK...

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Be careful with triceps exercises, too. I was doing overhead extensions when I thought my splints were almost gone and in the middle of the set, I heard(felt and imagined the noise simultaneously?) a popping like noise/feeling in my left forearm. I immediately let the ez-bar go to the side of the hurt arm and just threw it down.

Still not exactly what sure happened there, but it freaked me out and definitely was re-inflamed and hurting by the time I got home.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
I take it that this problem is on your ulna, not your radius, (radius is the one that attatches to your thumb with your palm up), if so let it heal and when doing lifts, ESPECIALLY beceps and triceps do NOT move your wrists. I talked with a trainer at my gym and he gave me this advice. I have been dealing with this problems for about 5 months now and they are almost done healing, try doing hammer curls rather than straight bar and preacher curls, once it heals tho remember not to move your wrist.

P

PimpinLow98

Awards
Ive also had this problem I didnt do any upper body exercises for 2 weeks and just legs. I also took a cissus supplement. When i got back to the gym i had no problem with it but i just took the weight low and make sure my wrists where not bending incorrectly. Make sure you form is 100% and if its not its too much weight. dont do it .its not worth injurying your self.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I was doing ezbar curls at the gym today with about 75 pounds on the bar. Got the forarm pain described here for the first time. Damn it hurts. I'll try loosening my grip as suggested, but man I hope this isn't something that continues.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i had this for a long time at one point. I laid off the training and training that exercise particularly and it got better. Its a good indication to me that im overtraining.

U

ultra2extreme

Awards
I get these with straight bar and easy bar excercises. Just switch to a hammer grip for DB curls and use a tri-bar for standing curls.

The close grip puts a little more strain on the front delts when doing standing curls but its bareable. I've been training this way for months with minimal to no forearm pain at all. Reverse grip easy bar works just fine too and is a great forearm builder.

Im thinking of building a custom bar, like a tri-bar but with wider handles shoulder width apart. I imagine a steep angle V bar attached to a cable machine set low would allow similar motion.

K

krogtaar

Awards
i have asked a PT about this. To train bis, use hammer grip curls hammer pullups only.

Massage the muscles where it hurts (the bone on the pinky finger side) by gripping on either side of it HARD. I was in serious pain when she did it. rub slowly in circles and move around to cover the whole length of the forarm.

do wrist curls

when you get back to bi curls, make sure you do not clench your forearm, leave the wrist straight or extended to the non palm side

ice too

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I had this when I was 19 or so. I think all I did was just layed off for 2 weeks. If I got them again, I think this time I would treat them like shin splints, IE icing etc. Hopefully I dont, I was afriad to let go of the bar when I had them.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the fear of letting go of the bar.........classic. I still get them from time to time if i do and it is in the middle of a set i will just open my palms/grip and curl with open hands or just extend my wrists to the opposite side (non palm side) this seems to work.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
That Was Exactly How I Felt...i Could Finish The Set But As Soon As You Let Go It Was An Extreme Sharp Pain Fron My Elbow To My Wrist...this Is One Of Those Injurys That Has Stuck With Me... I Still Feel It To Some Extent Today...

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
could be growing pains, seems like we all get it around the same age. (18-24)

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
I Had It Explained To Me By A Physical Therapist As The Muscle In The Front Of The Forarm Is Actually Tearing Away From The Bone...like I Said In My First Post On This Thread They Make A Brace/strap That Keeps The Forarm "tight"... I Think It Might Have To Do With Moving Up In Weight Relatively Fast.... But I Wouldnt Be Suprized If Bone Growth Played A Part In It

J

joekrist

Awards
yes i get this sometimes as well, i have a very tight grip on the weights usually, i guess that's why i get mine. Lee Priest also grips his weights tight, and he says he never works his forearms. he has huge forearms too!

HolyPower

HolyPower

Awards
I had this problem before too ... lol and it's hurt hard !!

My trainer give me a trick and it's never hurt again !!

He explain to me that when i release my bar a few second ago i just pulled a crazy tension just to keep the bar with high pound.

But then when you release too faster the forearm have a counter shock and can result to a little tendonitis.

The trick, when you drop your bar, i put my weigh on the bar and release very slowly by releasing tension slowly too...

Hope this work for you !!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Wow thats intresting, because it is when I release the bar that I get the pain. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had this problem before too ... lol and it's hurt hard !!

My trainer give me a trick and it's never hurt again !!

He explain to me that when i release my bar a few second ago i just pulled a crazy pression just to keep the bar with high pound.

But then when you release too faster the forearm have a counter shock and can result to a little tendinite.

The trick, when you drop your bar, i put my weigh on the bar and release very slowly by releasing pression slowly too...

Hope this work for you !!
pression and tendinite wow whats that :think: tension and tendonitis maybe?

HolyPower

HolyPower

Awards
haha, i do my best cauz i speak french ;)

I try ...

Cablejak

Cablejak

Awards
Just my 2cents worth... I had the same problem with my forearms. Even using the Ez-curl bar after a set of moderate to heavy reps, I'd release the bar and pain would shoot up/down my forearms.

What fixed it for me was I started wrapping both wrists with a wide athletic tape. Noticed a BIG difference the first time i tried it and after about a week of doing this the pain went completely away.

Now I do this all the time so I'm not sure if it would ever come back were I to stop, so I don't.

-Cablejak