I bench more than I deadlift and squat :( - anything to speed up the process?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so I'll admit, I used to be one of those guys who really only worked out upper body. I was scared to really do squat or deadlift b/c I wasn't good at them and I was afraid I'd hurt my knees and/or back. I have very thin legs anyway. My problem is that I can actually bench more than I can deadlift or squat.
Recently I wised up and am doing squats and deads. Actually my squats are catching up (maybe 10-15 lbs less that bench), and my deads are increasing but at a slower rate. Anything I should focus on or do other than keep deadlifting? I just feel like such a puss when I see/read these other guys doing 300 easily when the bench the same as me, yet I'm deadlifting like 190.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Don't be scared, and train your legs just as intense as you train your chest, and go all the way down on your squats, dont do quater squats or quater leg press.

And it will come

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Time and dedication and you'll be there. Don't try to go too hard and heavy and risk taking on damage that puts you back at square one. You have everything from free weights to sleds and such to work various forms and versions. Just remember that those days tax the body much more than your average chest day and make sure you get plenty of recovery.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Time and dedication and you'll be there. Don't try to go too hard and heavy and risk taking on damage that puts you back at square one. You have everything from free weights to sleds and such to work various forms and versions. Just remember that those days tax the body much more than your average chest day and make sure you get plenty of recovery.
Ya, I guess I gotta check my ego at the door and work on form first. I have that nasty habit of starting with good form and making good gains....then get to ambitious and do too much weight with worse form and the gains stop.....obviously. I remember being sore after upper body workouts, but lately after heavy deads and squats I'm just beat at night. Physically and mentally tired it feels like, which isn't a bad feeling though. Tells me I'm working hard :)

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
proper form more then anything

my core strength built up fast once i started lifting more properly im still no expert as many messup with the deadlift often. its hard to messup something simple like a bench or even squat. squatting is hard no doubt but start slow and buildup. im sure your legs will catchup but if your legs truly are ""small"" then dont expect them to catchup in 1 year. they gotta grow and get stronger. take your time they will catchup

AGAIN... PROPER FORM> no sissy shiiit