ALternative to running- not the bike!!!!

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
So I tweaked my knee and I cannot run unless I want to permanantly do some damage. The problem is I don't know what the best cardio is. I love running because it gives me great cardio. The bikes, even though I do them in intervals tends to work my already huge( I'm not kidding) calves. And I really don't feel like I get a very good cardio workout.
What cardio can I do that will give me the same cardio level as running but won't kill my knee?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Is it the impact you're looking to avoid or just knee use in general? Mobilizing your legs is pretty crucial to cardio as they are one of the larger muscle groups. There are plenty of low impact exercises you can do though. But if knee use itself is the problem that becomes a bit limiting.

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
It think its the extension that I get while running that is doing it to my knee. Even though I don't like it much, the bike doesn't bother it.
I may try the elliptical, but I can never get those things to be effective. It's probably a combination of user error..lol but its a pretty awkard machine for me to use.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It think its the extension that I get while running that is doing it to my knee. Even though I don't like it much, the bike doesn't bother it.
I may try the elliptical, but I can never get those things to be effective. It's probably a combination of user error..lol but its a pretty awkard machine for me to use.
For me too at first. Once you get used to it thought it's great, and easy on the knees.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
My wife has a screwed up knee, and the elliptical is just about the only option she has. We have a professional grade one at the house we use.

I find that putting something in the DVD/TV player on the wall to watch like an action flick or a football or basket ball game, makes it easier not to stare at the timer the whole time.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
circuit training. or get the heck outside and ride a real bike in a safe area and just keeping going.

have access to a rowing machine? see if it hurts your knee first then continue to use . by rowing machine i mean an ERG its what the sport CREW uses for pratice indoors

lazerss9

Awards
i no u said no bike, but two things:
-have u tried both kinds of bikes, and by that i mean the one thats more like a real bike and the other where u basically have ur legs out in front of you like ur stretching? if not that might be something u want to try.
-and the other thing is, have u tried low resistance, high cadence(spinning really fast)? im pretty sure that will give u a better cardio work out. i no that my legs die before my heart rate gets high on a normal bike ride, but i think that the low resistance, high cadence had my heart racing...

if u dont like either one of these, then i agree with everyone else that says that the elliptical is the way to go. when i got a stress fracture in my shin(from running too much) i used that machine to keep some of my cardio endurance up and it worked pretty well.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crawls. They'll not only whoop your ass, but they'll help build up your arms and shoulders.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I agree on the elliptical. Just don't use the handles and you really get a great workout.

When I injured my ankle I used the elliptical exclusively instead of running to train, and was still able to race in triathlons.

CROWLER

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Google Tabata...great cardio and it's quick and effective.

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
Cool- Great ideas, thank you.
I do some spinning- I haven't for a awhile since I noticed it was building my already large calves.
I've just got to suck it up and try the elliptical- this will be a sight to see at first. lol
What are crawls?
Tabata looks pretty challenging. I didn't get into reading much on it yet.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally like rowing for all around fitness. I get a great workout and have good endurance in all muscles.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
I like the Arc Trainer - it's a combination elliptical/stair climber

the arc trainer is really good. I have one at my house and I use it almost every day when i cannot go out for my morning run. I do not like to use it for both of my daily runs but it really does a good job

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
when my gf was doing those spin bikes she was saying she really felt it in here calves, lowering the seat a little seemed to help with that, but now she complains about her upper legs :blink:

it was mentioned in one of the other threads, but the Bas Rutten workout routines are CRAZY for cardio, in his videos he promotes a stance different than boxing, a more square stance, so this might be easier on your knee depending on which foot you like forward (orthodox / southpaw)

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
oh, and that arc trainer looks like the most confusing piece of machinery ive ever seen in my life, lol, its probably good though, im just saying, its weird looking.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
if you look at it I think its just an eliptical machine with the wheel in the front but the same basic motions, though I have never used one

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
Get a heavybag and knock the hell out of it for 25 minutes. You'll be exhausted.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
All good suggestions. I personally cannot stand doing anything but High Intensity Cardio. First and foremost, I recommend high repetition hindu squats (a bodyweight squat done on your toes) circuited with either squat thrusts/burpees, jump rope, or shadowboxing. Or, as mentioned before, throw the heavy bag in there.

High repetition hindu squats will wind you badly if you do them with any kind of effort. It is my favorite exercise, as it increases human vitality just by doing it. I recommend that first and foremost.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
Umm....Ok...Yeah ....:think: hindu squats is how Ronnie Coleman got his swole on:lol:

High Rep Bustin' a nut' is my favorite excercise....I'm sure hindu' squats are just as much fun...;)
You don't do cardio to "get swole" fool.

By the way, if you are physically capable of having enough sex to get decent cardio out of it, then you should definitely do that. I have to admit it would be more entertaining, but I don't consider your suggestion to be one that the person who was asking the question could really consider as feasible. Then again, who am I to say really?

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
To tell you the truth, my girl looks pretty close to that, though mine has a thicker booty with a little less up top:thumbsup: .

You are simply taking this thing far too hard, I think. You insulted what I said as if everybody has the same goal as you. On top of that, you posted in a thread which you have nothing to add to whatsoever. You don't even do cardio, and that is what the thread is about. It is okay to make jokes, but you tried to negate my training ideas simply because you do not adhere to them.

I looked at your log and commend you for your knowledge of steroids and their use, but that is obviously not where I'm coming from. If I wanted to put on size to that extent, I would probably take the same route as you have. That, of course is not my goal, which is why you commenting on me being little is kind of out of place. I do not want steroid muscle, and no, hindu squats will not give you steroid muscle, you are correct.

If that is insulting to you, then perhaps I went too far. Name calling is unbecoming, but I couldn't really tell if you thought my idea was bad or if you were just being stupid. It seems to me you don't really care about the actual conversation going on, that is all.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
First off its that I disagree with your advice...someone is having knee problems,you seriously think any type of squating period is going to be beneficial for them attempting cardio and trying to take it easy on the knee issue...Second I get my cardio with intense weight training,I keep my heartrate up pretty high my entire workouts,therefore I don't actually do any running,which is what this thread was getting at,so I think I know what the Fvck I'm talking about...I ain't mad at ya,I just question your attempt at giving out squating advice for a knee injury,thats ludicris to say the least...I can tell your no Physical therapist for sure...Or trainer for that matter...:fool2: As I have a good realationship with a couple PT's...I'll be glad to run this question by them when I see them next and post an answer,I really question your giving anyone advice having listened to your reply...Personally I think your the one trying to prove something,but its all good,Your rep speaks for itself...I feel like If I said I had a chest injury you'd tell me to benchpress somemore,or If I had a broken leg you'd say jump up and down on it...:fool2: Don't take this the wrong way,I don't get upset from anything I'll ever see directed towards me on any board,Its constructive critisism my man,maybe you will take note in your pursuite to not have "Steroid Muscles"...by the way ...WTF are steroid muscles...:fool2: :fool2: :toofunny: :toofunny:

**Emazing,feel free to pm me your stats and medically advised injury report(what the doc said) and I'll be glad to follow up with one of my friends whos a Physical therapist and get some proper advice as for training around the injury properly,Sorry to junk up your thread and all,But please don't go doing any type of squating routine as this guy is suggesting.I suggest intense high rep/low weight weight training,which alot of it can be done seated..some standing,but neither wil require the flex of the knee..and high intensity /high rep wight training is known to burn a ton of calories and is alot more fun then running...Good luck with your injury,that sucks...
Yeah, I didn't want to junk up the thread either. I just want to say that the hindu squat will not damage your knees. In fact, it is easier on your knees than leg extensions. No, I am not a physical trainer, I'm just giving my two cents. Your argument was actually a good one, you just did not place in a very neutral or constructive fashion. Now you are talking sense.

I think what I was trying to say is that I am not a bodybuilder, and the hindu squat is in no way a bodybuilding movement. That is all. I think you know very well the effects of steroids on creating physical bulk along with weight training, we don't even need to discuss it. Anything else, which I doubt there will be getswole, and you can PM me with it. I contend that my advice was in no way destructive or harmful.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Your sure?I may have to disagree on that one,you should be taking advice,not giving it...Stop trying to start an argument,thats not what this board is about,your wrong,deal with it.
dude why you being a d*ck? hes trying to end this arugement. sorry for butting in..

Emazing I have the same prolbem u do i just tweaked my knee last friday. good luck on your way to recovery!

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
How old are you again,15?I'm sure your advice will be even more helpful:toofunny: I'm a very helpful individual to say the least...my knowledge goes far beyond highschool gym class...or juniour high in your case

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
sweet dude you can read my profile! lets party over your awesome ahievement.:dance:

Jr high? weak man. just pathetic. wasnt giving adivice bro. read next time. unlike a lot of people my age, I actually spend the time to read about lifting and dieting and what supps work and dont work.

toodles

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep it clean and on topic or we'll just shut down the thread.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Jayhawk. kinda got carried away.

Emazing did you ever find your alternative?

whitedevil74

whitedevil74

Awards
  • Established
Well this thread went to hell in a handbasket.
This may sound bizarre but elliptical machines always end up hurting my knee, I always end up with knee pain for a few days after using them, I have no idea why but I do not experience it with any other type of cardio. Maybe instead of running have you tried walking with long strides (avoids too much focus on calves) on a very high incline. This works great at getting my heart rate up without the impact of running.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
swim... its great cardio and no wear on the knee. also you get a tan while doing it