Possible shin splints - tiger balm effective?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I may be experiencing the onset of shin splints, but I only feel tight towards the end of my runs. Dissipates fast after I halt, and I am not experiencing pain at all during the day, or even post workout.

However, I definitly do not want shin splints. I've never used Icy Hot, or Tiger Balm for that matter, before today. I just picked up a tiny thing of Tiger Balm at CVS and applied some to my shins, which took place right after my workout.

Would it be a good idea to do this after workouts? I'm not sure how Icy Hot/Tiger Balm works... does it help with the inflammation of the tissue? Speed recovery? Or is it just a pain-killer.

Thanks

agpetz

Awards
Ice them after you run. A good way to do it, is to freeze water in little styrofoam cups, and than tear off the bottom, and move the ice up and down your shins. I'm not sure how effective icy hot or tiger balm is, but ice should help.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
+1

Ice em down, i had crazy shin splints from my volleyball days in HS.
My chiro even did some form of ultrasound on them, it tingled...

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ice them after you run. A good way to do it, is to freeze water in little styrofoam cups, and than tear off the bottom, and move the ice up and down your shins. I'm not sure how effective icy hot or tiger balm is, but ice should help.
Yup- there are a few things that will help them, in the following order:

1. Losing weight- even a 5 lb. decrease will help, unfortunately, most of us are trying to get bigger and stronger, rather than the other way around....

2. Rest- take a day off if you start having pain, this will usually help a lot

3. Ice- the Dixie cup method Agpetz describes works extremely well...

4. Make sure you run as much as possible on grass or some other cushioned surface- pavement is real hard on the lower legs, feet, and ankles

5. Aspercreme- knocks down swelling if massaged in before training- the swelling causes shin splint pain

6. Staying on the balls of your feet while running

7. Stretching the shins and twirling your ankles before running- gets them warm and gets blood flow into the area

8. Ibuprofen, aspirin, or Alleve- last ditch effort if nothing else works...

I used to get the damn things all the time- but once I got my weight down (lost 10 lbs.), and learned to rest them when they hurt, they went away pretty quick.

agpetz

Awards
I would also suggest you are wearing the proper running shoe for your foot type and stride. You should go to a running store and have them fit you. Wearing the wrong shoe and running any kind of mileage can cause all sorts of problems.

Blownkbgt

Board Supporter
Awards
i have a problem often misdiagnosed as shin splints.... its called compartment syndrome, look into it as it might be what you are refering to,

Erik2003

Erik2003

Awards
I wonder if wrapping your shins with an ACE bandage may provide the extra supplemental support you need to avoid shin splints.

I have never tried this myself...

Erik2003

Erik2003

Awards
I wonder if wrapping your shins with an ACE bandage may provide the extra supplemental support you need to avoid shin splints.

And for those from bb.com lurking herein, this means wrap each individual leg with a seperate ACE bandage... Just wanted to make this clear.

Blownkbgt

Board Supporter
Awards

i highly doubt it as most splints are a result of the way your foot strikes the ground .

I may be experiencing the onset of shin splints, but I only feel tight towards the end of my runs. Dissipates fast after I halt, and I am not experiencing pain at all during the day, or even post workout.

However, I definitly do not want shin splints. I've never used Icy Hot, or Tiger Balm for that matter, before today. I just picked up a tiny thing of Tiger Balm at CVS and applied some to my shins, which took place right after my workout.

Would it be a good idea to do this after workouts? I'm not sure how Icy Hot/Tiger Balm works... does it help with the inflammation of the tissue? Speed recovery? Or is it just a pain-killer.

Thanks

Shin splints are micro fractures. Super Cissus Rx research is based off fracture healing. I would not touch Advil or any other OTC pain medication.

Ice, rest and Super Cissus Rx is a great combo.

Bull6125

Bull6125

Awards
I would like to throw my support in with Cissus. I worked in a warehouse while lifting heavy crates, pallets, and furniture all while continuing my gym onslaught :twisted: . I had nasty micro-fractures in my forearms that hurt so bad I had trouble holding a glass of water. Two weeks of taking high-dose cissus and I was able to work and lift with minimal and eventually no pain at all. Also, as one of the above posters stated, weight-loss, even just 5lbs, can help drastically.

Erik2003

Erik2003

Awards
i highly doubt it as most splints are a result of the way your foot strikes the ground .
Respectfully, you are partially incorrect. Shin support does help, and may even be preventative for someone prone to shin splints.

Please review the following from http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm:

Shin splints (Periostitis)

What are shin splints?

Shin splints is the general name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. Shin splints is not a diagnosis in itself but a description of symptoms of which there could be a number of causes. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). Traction forces occur from the muscles of the lower leg on the periostium.

Symptoms of shin splints include:

Tenderness over the inside of the shin.
Lower leg pain.
Sometimes some swelling.
Lumps and bumps over the bone.
Pain when the toes or foot are bent downwards.
A redness over the inside of the shin.
What can the athlete do about shin splints?

Rest. The sooner you rest the sooner it will heal.
Apply ice or cold therapy in the early stages when it is very painful. Cold therapy reduces pain and inflammation. Cold therapy can be applied. More information about cryotherapy or ice application can be see in shin splints rehabilitation.
Wear shock absorbing insoles in shoes.
Maintain fitness with other non weight bearing exercises.
Apply heat and use a heat retainer or shin and calf support after the initial acute stage and particularly before training. This can provide support and compression to the lower leg helping to reduce the strain on the muscles. It will also retain the bodies natural heat. Heat causes blood vessels to dilate and increases the flow of blood to the tissues.
Visit a sports injury clinic for treatment and rehabilitation.
What can a sports injury clinic or doctor do?

Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication e.g. ibuprofen. (Always consult a doctor before taking medication).
Tape the ankle for support. - A taping worn all day will allow the shin to rest properly by taking the pressure off the muscle attachments.
Analyse running style for over pronation and other biomechanical problems of the foot.
Use sports massage techniques on the posterior deep muscle compartment but avoid the inflamed periostium.
Operate
Important

Anti inflammatory drugs along with rest and ice can help reduce inflammation, particularly in the early stages. However if the underlying causes such as tight muscles are not treated through stretching and sports massage techniques then the likelyhood of the injury returning is higher.
Similar / related injuries:

Posterior compartment syndrome
Stress fracture
Tight calf muscles
More detailed information on treatment and rehabilitation is available to subscribers including the following:

Rehabilitation of Shin Splints

Aims of rehabilitation
Reducing pain and inflammation
Biomechanical dysfunction and correcting over pronation.
Improving flexibility for treatment and injury prevention.
Returning to full fitness
Preventing shin splints
Taping for Shin Splints

How to apply tape to the shin to reduce pain and aid recovery.
Step by step guide with video clip downloads.
Stretching

Assessing flexibility
Calf muscle stretches
Front of the leg stretches
How long should stretches be held?
How often should you stretch?
Sports Massage

How can sports massage benefit treatment?
Massage techniques
Techniques to avoid with sore shins
Step by step guide with video clip downloads.

Which products can help with treatment of shin splints?

Some products which can help with treatment and prevention of shin splints are outlined below. Please consult your therapist before using any products as they may not be compatible with your particular therapists approach to treatment.

Shock absorbing insoles can help reduce the shock and impact transmitted through the foot to the lower leg, particularly when running on hard surfaces for long periods of time.
Orthotic insoles are firm insoles designed to correct biomechanica dysfunction such as over pronation. They will usually have strong arch support. Off the shelf orthotic insoles are available and suitable for many, although for the perfect fit a Podiatrist will make them specifically for your feet.
Shin and calf supports can provide compression and support for the lower leg and retain the bodies natural heat.
A slant board is a simple but effectrive device which helps with accurate and progressive stretching of the calf muscles.
There are a range of cold therapy products available which make applying ice or cold therapy simple and convenient.
Zinc oxide sports tape is excellent for applying a simple taping technique.
Shin Splints FAQ's

Question:
I rest until I have no pain but every time I try to go back to training the pain just comes back again!

Answer:
This is a common complaint. One cause of recurring shin pain is failure to get the muscles of the lower leg in a good condition before returning to training. Tight, knotted calf muscles will increase the strain on the muscle attachments of the lower leg. Regular stretching and sports massage can help make the muscles supple and more effective at absorbing the stresses placed on them. Another cause of recurring shin pain may be poor foot biomechanics. See a podiatrist for a biomechanical assessment if this is suspected.

Shin splints Rehabilitation
Taping for shin pain
Massage for shin pain

Taping for Shin Splints
Click here for step by step guides with video clips

Sports Massage for Shin Splints
Click here for step by step guides with video clips

Stretching for Shin Splints
Click here to assess flexibility and learn stretching techniques

---- Please refere to the original webpage for any videos or links.

Good luck with the shin plints. They may also be the sole result on how your foot is impacting the ground (here i agree with Blownkbgt) but maybe not. You may want to refer to a running coach.

Good luck,

respect to all...