over-training chest?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
In my quest for the perfect chest (my weakest muscle) i have spent alot of time trying to sclupt my upper body, with little progress. i need some help and advise on what the hell i'm doing wrong here. 3 sets of the following is my routine
  • flat bench b.b., incline flys,incline d.b.,decline b.b., cable flys set @ max height shoulder height and lowest height.
HELP....ADVISE :rant: PLEASE:rant:

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
What are your sets and how often do you train them?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
try changing up your workout every couple of weeks. the problem with sticking to one constant routine is that your body quickly adapts and doesn't respond as successfully. from my experience, after repeating a workout for a few weeks it just becomes redundant and unproductive. try varying how many sets you do, adjust rep ranges, alternate btw different exercises.

try pyramiding up one week w your flat bench. then try starting the highest weight you do for reps and work down. then one week maybe start off with incline presses for more upper chest. just do what feels right for you.

you might also respond to doing full body lifts, which would only have you do 3-4 sets of each major muscle group per lift. bench one weight for a certain rep range mon wed fri for only 1/2 sets per lift, then the next week increase the load very slightly and try to get the same number of reps. then after a few weeks on that, revert back to your flat benching workout and see what you can handle. it's all trial and error.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
What are your sets and how often do you train them?
sets are usually 3 or if i have extra energy 4 sets then, reps between 8-12 range and i train them 1 sometimes 2 times a week....it depends because i will hit the muscle groups like so....Chest one day, legs, bis-back,tris-shoulders with abs spread out on alternating days and cardio on the other days......sometimes i can hit the gym 4 times a week sometimes 6 so it fluctuates.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you think that you are overtraining a muscle, then you probably are. Cut your volume in half for a few weeks, but add intensity. Lower your rep range to 4-8, but only do about 7-9 working sets.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
How is your diet? What do you weigh? Body fat %? How much protein do you consume a day and how do you consume it?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys.........i'm going to try to incorporate all the suggestions here and see what works the best for me......thanks again for responding.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Possibilities:

1. EXERCISE: Try moving your Barbell Bench grip in...so that your pinkie is on the ring. You may need to lower the weight. Keep the shoulder blades pinched slightly. Tempo at 2 seconds down and 1 second up. Try 4 sets of: 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps.
  2. EXERCISE: Instead of cable x-over move the flat bench between the cables, lower the pulleys to the bottom and do flyes...constant tension on the muscle...hug all the way through and squeeze the contraction.
  3. DIET: Make sure to get 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of bodywieght. A shake before your workout and one after. Costco has cheap protein, EAS 6 pounds for about $24 & 16 packs of Tuna for cheap. Eat that protein every couple of hours.
  4. INJECTABLES: IGF-1 pinned the way Grunt has outlined (i.e post workout) directly into the chest will add new muscle.
  5. INJECTABLES: Testosterone used concurrent with IGF-1 will grow out the new muscle.

Bull6125

Bull6125

Awards
Umm... I would stay away from the injectables...I think that was a joke... I would say you are overworking your chest in one session. I would try working your chest twice per week and limit the number of exercises. Try this:
Mon: BB Incline 5s x 4r, DB Decline 4s x 10r
Fri: BB Decline 4s x 5r, Db Incline 4s x 10r, Smith Close-Grip 4s x 10r.
Don't forget you HAVE TO work your supporting muscle groups! Shoulders, triceps, abdominals, and lats play a HUGE part in benching. Don't neglect your legs either, the increase of stress and growth totalling your full body w/o's will increase your natural-T and GH output while you sleep.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Your doing 15 sets? Correct?
Yea, your probably over training.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Umm... I would stay away from the injectables...I think that was a joke....
Yeah stay away from those big bad injectables for sure. :rofl:

I remember when this board was so much more than it is today. Oh well...times change.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
try sticking to one form of bench press for each upper body day you can rotate every other week and still make progress in all because they are similar movements also weighted dips are IMO the best way to sculpt the chest gives you that nice crease down the middle

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
try upping the weight,and drop the reps 4-6 for a few weeks... and add a little rest time in between sets... this should help increase your strength and stimulate some new growth

and EAT EAT EAT

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Its not the exercises your doing wrong its probably these 2 factors. One you are limited by genetics and two you probably over train chest as have horrible muscle imbalances and posture. You should train your back harder then your chest. Most likely your shoulders come forward and its making your chest look smaller. Also your chest is probably incredibly tight because of overtraining it. You probably have developed knots and adhesions all over your chest and it cannot grow properly. Your body ends up compensating. Most likely you get a shoulder workout more then anything. I had this happen to me in the past. Get those knots out of your chest, strech your chest and build your upper back, rotator cuffs, post. delt, rhomboids and traps. Your chest will start to appear bigger right away with stretching and eventually it will start to build again but the issue has to be corrected.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Well now

i used to have a horrible chest literrally i was like wtf is wrong w/ me but what i started doing is, alternating my routine through out the week

thus hitting different spots during the 2 times a week i work chest.

Hitting upper and mid or outer and inner or lower and mid etc.

I like to throw in flys first to get that pump in your chest then moving onto a db press or barbell press so you're like grrr this is burning and lastly i like to throw in the dumb pull overs or barbell depending on my day to really blast over your chest.

Also make sure you are getting plenty of rest... b/c i used to work out 3on1off or 2on1off etc... thats all garbage in my opinion i switched to 5 on 2 off and still by that 5th your feeling that burn and fully recovering on that 2nd day off.

You have to take lifting day by day :) and check up on bodybuilding.com of course they have alot of things they can teach you and plenty of articles.

:aargh: Hope it helps

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Its not the exercises your doing wrong its probably these 2 factors. One you are limited by genetics and two you probably over train chest as have horrible muscle imbalances and posture. You should train your back harder then your chest. Most likely your shoulders come forward and its making your chest look smaller. Also your chest is probably incredibly tight because of overtraining it. You probably have developed knots and adhesions all over your chest and it cannot grow properly. Your body ends up compensating. Most likely you get a shoulder workout more then anything. I had this happen to me in the past. Get those knots out of your chest, strech your chest and build your upper back, rotator cuffs, post. delt, rhomboids and traps. Your chest will start to appear bigger right away with stretching and eventually it will start to build again but the issue has to be corrected.
:goodpost:

used to have this problem as well, shoulders rotated forward and chest was so tight it actually effected my back workouts severely b/c i couldn't get proper extention

started blasting deadlifts, BB rows, tugs, rear delts ect... and once my back caught up, my chest excercises began to increase as well

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wtf, since when did 15 sets become overtraining??
overtraining is used waay to much.
I do atleast 20 sets of chest, but dont go to failure
all depends on how many sets/how intense/do you go to failure?

maybe try doing 12-15 reps or if your doing high reps try 4-6?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

used to have this problem as well, shoulders rotated forward and chest was so tight it actually effected my back workouts severely b/c i couldn't get proper extention

started blasting deadlifts, BB rows, tugs, rear delts ect... and once my back caught up, my chest excercises began to increase as well
Yeah man. When your chest is way tight shoulder extension is horrible. When I would do tricep reverse pulldowns I would get the worst pain in my post delt.

Atleast you have learned from it. Most of the meat heads in the gym never learn and never realize why they can't get results. Flexibility is huge if your looking for symmetry and overall growth of muscle tissue. A muscle cannot grow with all those adhesions in there. They restrict blood flow and oxygen to the muscle as well and your whole body. It's like a knot in a hose. Most bodybuilders I know that have been doing it old school for years cannot sleep because of soo many pains, and cannot even scratch their back cause of lack of flexibility. You push on there chest with your finger and they describe it as someone stabbing them with a knife in the chest the pain is sooo bad.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
For my chest training I do:

Incline Bench Press 4 sets (10 reps each)
Flat Bench Press 4 sets (10 reps each)
Decline Bench Press 4 sets (10 reps each)
Pec Dec 4 sets (12 reps each)

its basic I know.

This is on the verge of overtraining, but I only train chest once a week, 4 times a month so I wreck havoc on it, then don't touch it for 1 week. I used to work my chest multiple times a week, and that DID result in over training.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Most likely your shoulders come forward and its making your chest look smaller. Also your chest is probably incredibly tight because of overtraining it.
sorry if i gave the impression that my chest is small or tight both are untrue, sure it's tight on the day i train it and alittle the day after but that's it....also the size is fine it's the shape, rounded instead of broad and alittle flatter not protruding so much....almost B**** tits....does not appear to be GYNO either I.I. itcky or sore nips or sensitiveness anywhere at all...just the shape ...looking for that wider or flat look.like this guy:bb3: and come on brother...if i developed knots on my chest i would have stopped training chest entirely

Scrat

Awards
sorry if i gave the impression that my chest is small or tight both are untrue, sure it's tight on the day i train it and alittle the day after but that's it....also the size is fine it's the shape, rounded instead of broad and alittle flatter not protruding so much....almost B**** tits....does not appear to be GYNO either I.I. itcky or sore nips or sensitiveness anywhere at all...just the shape ...looking for that wider or flat look.like this guy:bb3: and come on brother...if i developed knots on my chest i would have stopped training chest entirely

Sounds like it's just genetics. Try doing some of the stuff people have posted and see if any of it works. Drop the flies and cable movements and stick to pressing movements. You could also try a little more frequency and lay off the volume a bit. Instead of doing 9 sets or so for chest all in one day split it up into two sessions (i.e. - 6 sets one day and then 3 sets with higher reps 3 days later) Keep any eye on the form/posture as others have said, too.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
good to know. Then it's number 1. GENETICS. As well as I can train I will never have nice round pecs.. mine slant at the sides. OHH WELL.. None of us are ever satisfied with ourselves are we?

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
yeah genetics plays a major role... some people like me tend to hold more fat and water in there chest than others, the best thing i did for shape was started doing incline bench for my main sets... this helped "lift" my chest upwards and gave it a much better shape

but yea most pple will never be satisfied with there physique but shi*t thats why we bust ass in the gym right?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
STUPID GENETICS!!!!!!:aargh: where are my parents I'LL..I'LL:bruce1: no just playing...thx for all the feed back and time spent helping......

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
:)

IT doesnt always come down to genetics it comes to down to how much you want it.

In my opinion work out and train like animal will make you the animal work out and chat in the gym will make you a community wannabe :)

:good:

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
IT doesnt always come down to genetics it comes to down to how much you want it.

In my opinion work out and train like animal will make you the animal work out and chat in the gym will make you a community wannabe :)

:good:
agreed....yea man i'm not giving up on this, the only time i give up on something i want i when it's going to kill me. besides i've NEVER believed that one can not beat genetics, it's just more difficult than having this naturally, i'm going to contuine and as far as the gym comments....VERY much agreed, i try not to even look at anybody so i don't have engage in a conversation....not because i'm better or worse than anybody.....it's not what i'm there for, i'm there to train that's it, get in, train, and go home.....I'd go and hang out with my friends......

texxlnghorn

Awards
15 sets while your "ON" probably not over training.
Everybody is different.
For me it would be.
I only do 12 working sets.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
if your chest is drooping at the nips maybe try adding more cardio to your routine could be fatty tissue built up around the nips but I dont know your bf% so could be off base but just a thought

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
If you hit chest 1x a week try this...

Barbell bench 4 sets
Incline DB 3 sets
any fly movement 1 set

Do that for 3 weeks at 8-10 reps, then an addition 3 weeks at 4-6 reps.

Week off

Then repeat with...

Incline BB 4 sets
Flat or Decline DB 3 sets
any fly movement 1 set