Question about push/pull balancing

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Are lat pulldowns classified as scapula depression and lateral raises classified as scapula elevation?
I am putting together a routine for a beginner and want it balanced.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use lateral raises as a pull exercise, but now that I think about it, it is a push because the contraction is when the resistance is distal.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
This is the routine incase anyone would like to comment.

Its 2 days per week, push/pull split.

day 1
DB Bench press 3x8-12
Decline DB Bench press 3x8-12
Lying Lat raises 3x8-12
Decline tricep ext 2x8-12
Hyper ext 1x8-12
Squats 3x12

day 2
Bent over DB rows 3x8-12
Rear delt row 3x8-12
Lat Pull down 3x8-12
Bomber Curls 1x8-12
Leg curls 3x8-12
calf raises 3x8-12
VKR 3x8-12

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Why did you exclude military press? Also, are you going to alternate push/pull exercises during each session?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I use lateral raises as a pull exercise, but now that I think about it, it is a push because the contraction is when the resistance is distal.
Im going by point #5 in this article http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

But according to that I think I should have only 3 sets for bench instead of 6 because bench counts as a protraction and an internal rotation. I wished the author used an example routine.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Why did you exclude military press? Also, are you going to alternate push/pull exercises during each session?
The negatives are outwaying the positives for me.
I dont want too much internal rotation and front delt dominance, its just so commom to see that these days, and OHPs do have there risks although minor.

What do you mean alternate push pull excercises?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Are lat pulldowns classified as scapula depression and lateral raises classified as scapula elevation?
I am putting together a routine for a beginner and want it balanced.
Yes and yes. Side laterals and upright rows have similar motions and I know that upright rows are scapular elevation.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The negatives are outwaying the positives for me.
I dont want too much internal rotation and front delt dominance, its just so commom to see that these days, and OHPs do have there risks although minor.

What do you mean alternate push pull excercises?
In your exercise order, do you go push-pull or push-push-pull-pull?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
In your exercise order, do you go push-pull or push-push-pull-pull?
Im abit confused. Monday push, thursday pull. all other days off. The person only wants to work out 2 days per week, seeing as though there just starting out I want to make things easy for them, I know its not the best routine but after 2-3 months I am going to put them on full body 3 days per week which they should appreciate due to shorter work outs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Im abit confused. Monday push, thursday pull. all other days off. The person only wants to work out 2 days per week, seeing as though there just starting out I want to make things easy for them, I know its not the best routine but after 2-3 months I am going to put them on full body 3 days per week which they should appreciate due to shorter work outs.
You answered my question. Monday is push and Thursday is pull. In that case, I would say to do push and pull exercises on each training day.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You answered my question. Monday is push and Thursday is pull. In that case, I would say to do push and pull exercises on each training day.
Sort of like a 2 day per week full body workout? makes sense, I will think something up after breakfast.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Decline DB Bench press 2x8-12
Incline DB Bench press 2x8-12
Bent over DB Row 4x8-12
Lying Lat raise 3x8-12
Lat pulldown 4x8-12
Shrugs 1x8-12
Cuban press(w scapula depressed) 1x40
DB Rear delt row 3x8-12
Bomber Curl 1x8-12
Decline Skull Crusher 2x8-12
Hyper extension 2x8-12
Squats 3x12

I dont know how, but I realised lat pulldown is an internal rotation, and bent over rows are not an external rotation.