Forearms???

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I've always wanted to have a set of those big Popeye like forearms. So I was just wondering what you guys do to work your forearms.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deads with the Thick Bar
Wrist Curls

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Nunchaku
Escrima
Farmer's Walk (Grab two medium to heavy dumbells and hold them or carry them around for as long as you can)

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nunchaku
Escrima
Farmer's Walk (Grab two medium to heavy dumbells and hold them or carry them around for as long as you can)
I've never tried this one. I will definitely try finishing my next workout with this one.

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Yeah, simple but effective. You can also just continue to hold your dbells after another exercise like curls for example. Good shock to shake up your training. Rock on brudda!

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I never worked forearms directly. Heavy curls and heavy back excersizes made them grow. I continue to laugh at the noobs who do wrist curls and say they will be bigger than me

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Id say for grip ya, but so's holding a heavy ass dumbell/barbell until grip fails

satyricon

Awards
forearms

make or buy a wrist roller! if you make one from a peice of pipe it will fit over a bar or smaller pipe in a rack and you can work until it reak=lly hurts.these will blow up your puny forearms.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I just might be the king of forearms for my size. 15.5" for a 18.25" upper arm.

What I have to say is: STATIC HOLDS. 'Nuff said.

CitySleeps

CitySleeps

Awards
Just beat it allot and your forearms should explode. Just make shure you are a switch hitter!!!

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
So anyway, just take the big dumbells, and walk across the gym, then bring them back. You should be about unable to hold them when reaching the other end of the gym, and then find a way to bring them back. That is one set. Walk slowly, 30 seconds is a good amount of time for the first one-way... :)

DanOz

Awards
I do a combination of timed holds up to 1 minute, and distance for speed Farmers Walks. I use a Trap Bar for them, and grip has improved out of sight since I started, and forearms are finally starting to grow.

jlowsho

Awards
Alt. a big thick bar into heavy back and deads will do the trick. If you have wrist straps - out them in your gym bag for later. If you can't hold it - don't lift it until your forearms get caught up.

Some times I throw that thick bar into presses and ESP. bicep days to really thicken them up. Forearms are like traps - working them directly is kinda like beating a dead horse. You've already killed them doing a normal day's work.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just beat it allot and your forearms should explode. Just make shure you are a switch hitter!!!
:lol: :icon_lol: :head: :hammer: :dance: overhand grip for that them triceps son. if youre packin you can do the double grip and get a good chest workout too!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just might be the king of forearms for my size. 15.5" for a 18.25" upper arm.

What I have to say is: STATIC HOLDS. 'Nuff said.
can you explain how you do static holds? Im thinking its like you have a barbell as if you were going to do shrugs but you just hold there with BIG weight?...

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Actually, cheating curls are among the most productive cheats you can implement in a gym. There is plenty of good physiological reason why cheating curls are much better than "perfect form" curls.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
can you explain how you do static holds? Im thinking its like you have a barbell as if you were going to do shrugs but you just hold there with BIG weight?...
I like to do them with dumbells, but yeah I guess you can do them with a barbell...

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts probably pump my forearms the best. So do high rep shrugs.

I've also been trying to get back into the habit of hanging from a bar for as long as I can after a workout. Wrap the bar in a towel for more difficulty.

I think it's difficult to overwork your forearms. Look at mechanics and other laborers forarms. Sometimes their forearms are almost the size as their biceps - just from turning wrenches all day. Gotta be something to that...

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Upright rows do it for me. Also as others have said just holding onto the bar during deadlifts and shrugs (even with straps).

You shouldnt even need to target your forearms. Your forearms should be the first thing that grow and get strong before you can even hold the weight long enough to get the rest of your body big.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may be using straps TOO much but its unlikely.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Upright rows do it for me. Also as others have said just holding onto the bar during deadlifts and shrugs (even with straps).

You shouldnt even need to target your forearms. Your forearms should be the first thing that grow and get strong before you can even hold the weight long enough to get the rest of your body big.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may be using straps TOO much but its unlikely.
Actually, I agree. But AAS gains seem to come to other bodyparts more than forearms and calves... These are very dense muscles, meaning they are made to take beating upon beating and just be OK with that. Long-TUT work does best by them.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never worked forearms directly. Heavy curls and heavy back excersizes made them grow. I continue to laugh at the noobs who do wrist curls and say they will be bigger than me
Your one of the lucky ones. I have to really hit my forearms to get them to grow.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
on my last cycle my forearms got pretty f'ed up. I could hardly workout the pump was soooo painful.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like doing palm down concentration curls occasionally to accentuate the forearm.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts probably pump my forearms the best. So do high rep shrugs.

I've also been trying to get back into the habit of hanging from a bar for as long as I can after a workout. Wrap the bar in a towel for more difficulty.

Same advice I would give.

#1: Heavy Dead Lifts

#2: Gorilla Holds (hanging from a pull up bar for increasingly more time each workout, as mentioned above)

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
i do reverse curls, wrist curls reverse wrist curls, that does it for me, another thing you could do is get a rounded bit of wood tie some strong rope to it a metre long or so then on the other end have a heavy weight, simply hold the wood and turn it with your wrists untill the weight is toughing the wood then turn it the other way till the weight is lowered, it burns like hell nice and slow you really feel the lactic acid

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 45
agnos Injury / Rehab 16
APC80 Training Forum 16
Training Forum 1
Krampus Training Forum 7