Punching bag for cardio

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anyone else use this? Is it a good idea? I was thinking of not doing cardio directly after strength training (all my normal workouts are in the morning) and was trying to come up with something interesting cardio wise to do at home later in the evening. A punching bag in the garage sounds kinda fun. i'm in Florida so its usable year round.

Whatcha think?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I think it's a great idea. I would pick up a basic boxing training book and/or take a couple quick lessons. It would be very easy to hurt your hand/wrist/arm if you aren't punching correctly.

Also, I would get at least an 80lb. bag. Anything lighter might sway too much. Also, heavier bags simulate punching a person better than lighter bags.

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Do it. I have and do use heavy bags, but my favorite is a "top and bottom" bag. It is about the size of a volleyball and is attacked from the top and bottom (duh). I set mine up with a rope on top to set the height I like, then use a black solid rubber rebound strap attached to two 25lb plates to anchor the bag on the bottom. This set up gives me the best quick rebound to a hard quick punch and provides a surprisingly solid target. This bag helps train you to "punch" and not "push". If you don't snap your punches the bag will just flop around and not rebound correctly. This set up also trains accuracy as the bag moves around.

Whatever bag you choose, you will not regret it. This type of training develops "useable" power and speed.

Have fun bruddah!!!! :bruce3:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure to take care of your wrists, elbows, and shoulders. The impact can lead to tendinitis if you have bad technique.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was thinking of this

and a 70 pound water bag. I'll definitely do a quick lesson at one of the places that do the "executive boxing" things, there are a few around here. Plus my wife was on the boxing team when she was in the army, so she's into having it in the house too (well that and to get rid of frustration of having to deal with me ;))

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
I like the speed bags, definately makes for some intense cardio, and they are alot easier on the wrists. They also elevated so you expend more energy just keeping your arms up in the air for 25/30 minutes, where ths standard heavy bag you can be a little more lazy with and tends to lead to injury if you dont know the proper way to punch it. The speed bag also builds great agility and timing.One of my friends used to use the heavy bag alot and also developed some shoulder problems from poor punching technique also.

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
I love my bag. I generally will go running for 10 minutes, then hit the bag for 6 minutes and repeat.

Here's what I have hanging from my garage rafter. Excellent quality and moves like a person. Uppercuts are great on this. I strongly recommend this and some quality gloves with wraps.

Big Bang Heavy Bag from Title Boxing

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Dont bother with a water bag, get a hard sand bag, it will make you tough.

Oh and btw, I find the bag works my heart way harder than running. So its an even better, and more enjoyable cardio to me.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
It would be great cardio! Great calorie burning during the exercise as well as post exercise (EPOC) for continued fatburning effect.

Da Main Man

Da Main Man

Awards
Bas Rutten's boxing tapes are great.

shadow boxing is effective and as mentioned earlier in regards to wrist injury, this will prevent it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the speed bags, definately makes for some intense cardio, and they are alot easier on the wrists. They also elevated so you expend more energy just keeping your arms up in the air for 25/30 minutes, where ths standard heavy bag you can be a little more lazy with and tends to lead to injury if you dont know the proper way to punch it. The speed bag also builds great agility and timing.One of my friends used to use the heavy bag alot and also developed some shoulder problems from poor punching technique also.
Maybe it's a coordination thing, but I find speed bags to be much less taxing of an activity than heavy bag work.

Really, as long as you're moving, and the ticker is ticking away, it's gonna make for effective cardio. One thing you could try is circuiting it with jumping rope.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Whats a good brand? I am a fan of everlast and lonsdale but last bag I had was an everlast and it broke fairly quick, I want something that can... take a beating(errr).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One thing to remember about using the heavy bag for cardio is this: most people get winded quickly because they do not breathe as they strike. Good breathing techniques will your WO much more effective.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One thing to remember about using the heavy bag for cardio is this: most people get winded quickly because they do not breathe as they strike. Good breathing techniques will your WO much more effective.
what do you recommend for breathing while doing the heavy bag Rodja?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what do you recommend for breathing while doing the heavy bag Rodja?
Breathe as you would while doing any cardio (i prefer circular breathing) and exhale during each strike and stay relaxed until impact.

anatolian

Awards
I have wondered about this for awhile. Is it o.k. to hit the bag on your off days, also maybe doing sprints. If you train M,T-TH,F with weights, could you hit the bag and do sprints on the days after heavy lifting? If the day after you train legs is it ok to do sprints? and after lets say back or shoulders is it ok to hit the bag? I have done this without the weights and I love the cardio and endurance I build up, but I would love to add it all together if I am not over doing it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Make sure to take care of your wrists, elbows, and shoulders. The impact can lead to tendinitis if you have bad technique.
I could have a wrist , a right elbow and a shoulder injury from when I used to do it six years ago. are there any techniques for safe wrist, shoulder's and elbow's?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
and as for the science side of boxing are there any exercises that are good for boxing?

Ive once read to not get your chest too big.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard wearing weights on your wrists all day.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm considering taking up boxing, sounds like a good way to get into it and practice. Its between jerry page boxing center or a form of martial arts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Start with explosive core training and focus on hip power.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm considering taking up boxing, sounds like a good wat to get into it and practise. Its betwwen jerry page boxing center or a form of martial arts.
Go with the martial arts i'd think. It will help flexibility more, which is always handy. I'm thinking about that too, possibly doing whole family at one of the dojos nearby. It will be fun to get everyone involved :)

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Bas Rutten's MMA workout DVD's
and Rossboxing.com

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
You cant go past kickboxing for a good cardio workout. Try doing a 2 minute round on a 5 foot bag straight boxing, then do one with kicks as well. You will notice the difference in a big way. The kicks may be a problem for some of the bigger guys though due to lack of flexability.

To protect your wrists just make sure you wear strapping under your gloves and make sure it goes up your wrist enough to stop them from flexing too much. I wouldnt go near a heavy bag without strapping, especially once you learn how to load up a punch properly with your hips etc. There are also a lot of delicate bones in your knuckles that you can damage and they are not easy to fix once broken.

A few boxing classes will get your technique right, and then you can use it forever. Bad technique = injuries.

As for brands, I agree, Everlast bags dont last long at all. I use Bodan and they last for a long time. I have kicked the crap out of mine and it just keeps going.

IMO there is no better workout than hitting a heavy bag for cardio. I also reckon it helps shape your muscles better than anything as well. Add the stress realease it can give you and of course, knowing how to take somones head off should you get caught in a situation - would be mad not to take it up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As a good reference, watch the Bas Rutten Fighting Fitness Workout. He goes through the number system and shows how to train with and without a bag.

I don't know why I haven't said this yet, but always aim with your first w knuckles. They are the hardest and largest knuckles, which makes them more durable and also increases striking power. If you are going to incorporate kicks (which you should), then aim with your hsin and not your foot.