I want to run faster

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
Im good at jogging long distances at my own pace but as soon as I get with someone else and maybe do a lap around a field or whatever I get very self conscious because

A. Im slower then they are usually
B. My breathing is something out of a horror film

I do cardio every morning, I just dont know what kind of excercises or weights I need to start doing to get that "sprint" type of running down

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do your legs get tired or is it a conditioning thing? Staying relaxed throughout the run will help immensely. Try inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Do your legs get tired or is it a conditioning thing? Staying relaxed throughout the run will help immensely. Try inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.
That's circular breathing right?

I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right. Feels more natural going in the mouth and out.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Arent u "gentically" limited to how fast you can run? As in you cant improve your speed?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Arent u "gentically" limited to how fast you can run? As in you cant improve your speed?
To an extent, yes. You muscle fiber breakdown determines whether or not you are more suited for endurance or speed.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I would like to hear more on this, I also have issues with breathing through my nose, basicly it's too damn cold!

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
Im good at jogging long distances at my own pace but as soon as I get with someone else and maybe do a lap around a field or whatever I get very self conscious because

I do cardio every morning, I just dont know what kind of excercises or weights I need to start doing to get that "sprint" type of running down
squat

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
drink sprite and get some nike's! :trout:

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
In the gym, focus on exercises which utilize similar or exaggerated stride movements. Unilateral leg work is also helpful:
-DB Walking Lunges
-Barbell Step Ups
-Single Leg Squats

On the field, emphasis explosive movements and stick with 10-40 yards:
-Jump Squats
-Alternating Jump Lunges
-Long/Broad Jumps
-High Knees
-Butt Kickers
-Bounding or Power Skipping
-Sprints; 4x10 yards, 4x20 yards, 2x40 yards

Proper form, and genetic disposition play a key role in your max speed. Yet, Incorporating these exercises and drills into your training will definitely improve your athleticism and potential to run faster.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Breathing through your nose actually delivers more air into your lungs.

I mostly find this kind of breathing to be useful when running long distances. When I'm doing sprints and playing sports i just try to control my breathing, basically keeping a steady pace with my breaths, rather than erratic gulps and gasps of air....

Markio

Markio

Awards
Smokey, in no way am I doubting you - but could you explain how breathing through your nose elivers more air than through your mouth? I thought the two passages linked up before the lungs.

csunk. When you are running, do you feel that you are using your legs too much, almost like they are dragging you on? That's a poor explanation I know, basically if you are starting to feel tiredness in your legs change your style slightly so that your legs are almost just there to stop your ass hitting the ground. Make it almost bouncy, very fluid so that your whole body is involved even if its only slightly in making the motion smooth.

Also, I get doms and find the run more difficult when I run SLOWER. Speed it up, and I'm great.

To the nose breathers; if you haven't used nasal strips before give it a go, they are immense!

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I use to be a runner, did it for like 10 years, I loved running, 6 miles every morning. I never could get real fast, I use to try sprint workouts, all the things that was said to make you run faster. I never got better than a 7 minute mile, and that was if I was just running 1 mile, 6 mile pace was around 8:30 9:-- mpm.
Nose breathing never was an option for me, mine doesn't work right, so I had weird breathing also.

I would say do some sprint work outs and run with some resistance to get to your max speed.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Im not exactly sure the were i heard this, but i beleive that breathing through the nose directs air directly into the lungs. Wereas breathing throught the mouth may force some of the inhaled air into your stomach or something.... this is something that somebody told me... I never took the time to research it thoroughly though, so it is very possibly BS.. sorry for spreading BS if it proves to be that...

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Like hairylarry was saying, the core ties everything together and is an integral area to focus your training on, especially if you have a big upper body. I personally notice that the lower abdominals, obliques, and hip flexor muscle are worked especially hard when sprinting.

Markio

Markio

Awards
cheers smokey, I'm not long back from a run - and either my head is playing tricks or you are dead right!

It's like the air does go directly to your lungs through your nose, but it almost disapears out the back of your head when you breath through your mouth!! I've never actually thought about that aspect in all these years - cheers bro! :thumbsup:

I'm going to get more nasal strips tomorrow and give this another go, I'll report back...

p.s. CSunk'; What is your goal exactly? And also what is your preparation like before you run? Oh and a bump to the suggestion made by Rodgja, being relaxed is vital whether it is a sprint or a marathon

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
but could you explain how breathing through your nose elivers more air than through your mouth?[/QUOTE

I am not sure if it delivers more air, but you tend to take a full breath thru your nose and shorter chopy breaths thru your mouth especially when running long distances. I find it easier to control breath timing when inhaling thru the nose and out the mouth, and my stamina is better that way also.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
plyometrics is the way to go. Jump squats, lunge jumps, step ups with jumps, burpies, lateral jumps, forward/back jumps, ski jumping, short sprints, between these exercises. Run perhaps a circuit type workout.

In the gym i would alternate between strength training to build fast twitch fibres, and then a higher rep range of 15-20 to build muscular endurance and emulate the work time of ur muscles during a 10-45 second sprint.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
when i sprint i dont feel any pain in my legs. my breathing is irregular and ive tried doing the nasal thing buuuut i feel like im never getting enough air. maybe my nose passage is blocked a bit? i dont know

my goal is to be able to keep up with people when they do a lap around the soccer field and not sound like I just ran a marathon at the end. my prep before running is a quick stretch lol although lately at the gym I do some leg weights and stuff first and then go on the tread for a bit. for some reason it just feels better

quigley

Awards
  • Established
practice intercostal diamphramtic breathing. Breath down into your lungs, making your stomach expand first before your chest does. This will ensure your lungs are filled properly. Practice this before running, and then while your running just try to relax and not focus so much on it. Deep fast breaths through the nose, puff out through the mouth.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Running sprints and doing other forms of plyometrics can increase your leg power, ie running speed, vertical leap, etc. I have found that through plyo training vertical leap can increase significantly, but running speed not as drastic a change

Markio

Markio

Awards
nowt worng with the quick stretch mate, thats all I do! In fact stretching too much can cause more injury.

If it's just a lap of the football pitch, this is what I'd do; Do some sprint training just to get your base speed up to scratch so you can travel well in the race. And alternate this with 300-400meter runs, not flat out - but at a consistently fast pace.

Most important things are staying relaxed, enjoying it and having a good mindset, don't ever let negative thoughts get in your head during a run.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

This past spring I greatly increased my speed by utilizing my gym's treadmill and the HIIT method of training 1-2 times a week.

Here's what I did:

I would start out by running as hard as I could for at least 1 minute, then I would knock it down to a slower (but still challenging) speed for another minute or two, and finally knock it down to walking speed for 1 minute.

By setting time quotas on fixed speeds, I had to force myself to maintain higher speeds for given amounts of time. If this meant that by then end of the time interval I had to hold onto the handrails to keep up with the treadmill, so be it. By the end of the spring, I could run 12mph for 3 minutes on the treadmill.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
To get faster, you must train faster.
Weight training has it's place, but is nearly out of the question when speaking in terms of endurance running. Reading the post, it seems as if you want to be able to develop a faster pace during your runs.

Again, to increase speed, increase your training speed. There really isn't much else you need to do. You can get fancy and do lots of leg work.... but where does that pay off? The fancy leg exercises! Not the run times. To make it simple, but a bit general, look at things as either AEROBIC or ANEROBIC. Running distances where you can't hold your breath the entire time(lol), aerobic. Squats, lunges, high jumps, short sprints, anaerobic.

Now don't get me wrong, I do bodyweight squats all the time, and I love circuit training with lunges, high jumps, ect. Great for leg power and endurance. Not necessarily so for running.

What I currently do to increase my pace is run 1/2mile (2 laps) fast paces at the track. 100 meter sprints don't hurt, but if you want to run faster LONGER, 100 meter sprints will sell your body short.
As an example, my pace right now is approaching 21 minutes for the 3 mile. So what I have been doing on my speed days is 1/2 mile runs at around a 6 minute pace. Do at least four of these, while keeping in mind that you don't want to be TOTALLY exhausted after each interval... out of breath, absolutely, but it is not a sprint. You want to do this twice a week, IN MY OPINION.
2 lap fast paces I think are ideal for 5K or the like distances, but many professionals point towards 1 fast pace lap intervals, with shorter rest times. Check out Hal Hignon 5K training for a great template of how to increase run speed.

Just remember: You don't NEED to get fancy... to run faster, train faster

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
It sounds to me like the problem that you are having is due to not being fully warmed up prior to your runs with other people. You appear to have a normally slower pace than the people that you have tried to run with. If you begin to run immediately at a pace that is faster than you normally run, then you are going to fatigue or run out of breath much more quickly. It may not be the increased pace that is the problem at all, but rather starting at that pace immediately at the beginning of your run. If you would run a few laps on your own to get fully warmed up, then run with them at the faster pace, my guess is that you will be able to handle the quicker pace just fine.

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
Oh this is easy!

For short burst (not long distance):

- Squats (duh)
- Sprints in sand (beach)
- Sprints in water (pool)
- Sprints with weights (vest)
- Sprint 50m and 100m like a madman!

Don't forget

- Proper stretching
- Agility obstacles wouldn't hurt either (ie. tires, rope squares, etc.)

For breathing:

- Try running in high altitudes
- Swim sprints
- FFS! STOP SMOKING! JK!

Game Over

Ironman80

Awards
When I played high school football I worked with a personal trainer who specialized in training football players. He turned me from middle of the pack speed to one of the top 5 sprinters in the school. That was including the track kids.

We did a lot of plyometrics and worked a LOT on sprint form. Sprint times can be significantly improved by perfecting your sprint form.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Sword.... sprints in sand... GREAT IDEA
If I were around a beach I'd be all over that. I don't think the local toddlers would like me tearing up the sandbox, in an all out 3 meter rage-rush, so I'll have put that training thought in the back of my mind for now.
But double thumbs up!

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
Sword.... sprints in sand... GREAT IDEA
If I were around a beach I'd be all over that. I don't think the local toddlers would like me tearing up the sandbox, in an all out 3 meter rage-rush, so I'll have put that training thought in the back of my mind for now.
But double thumbs up!
LoL!

The alternatives are the pool and weight vest.

...that or work on your hockey tan *cough*

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some may disagree with me, but imo some of the best overall athletes in the world are Olympic Weightlifers. I have trained with and also trained many oly lifters, and we always like to test our overall athleticism. The ability to recruit more fast twitch muscle fiber is key to explosiveness. Training over and over again on a consistent basis with explosive weightlifting, and incorporating plyo's as well as sprints themselves will give you incredible results.

An example of one of my athletes, who is currently ranked in the top ten in the world, at 169 pounds is able to do 440pounds in the clean and jerk, and nearly 400pounds in the snatch. He has been training oly style now for around 10 years, and besides the actual weight movements we really only work on plyo's.

We decided to test his vertical and he hit an amazing 48 in. Ran a laser timed 4.3 40 yard dash and hit just over 10 feet in a standing broad jump.

Simply amazing to watch how over a period of a decade he is able to recruit (fire) so many fast twitch muscle fibers from basically oly style lifts.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
48 inches? Hmm.

Regardless of the accuracy, ryan is totally right. Oly lifts are where its at for speed. Seek out a coach/gym if you can.

Otherwise, deadlift, sprint (barefoot in grass sometimes), and read up on sprinting biomechanics.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some may disagree with me, but imo some of the best overall athletes in the world are Olympic Weightlifers. I have trained with and also trained many oly lifters, and we always like to test our overall athleticism. The ability to recruit more fast twitch muscle fiber is key to explosiveness. Training over and over again on a consistent basis with explosive weightlifting, and incorporating plyo's as well as sprints themselves will give you incredible results.

An example of one of my athletes, who is currently ranked in the top ten in the world, at 169 pounds is able to do 440pounds in the clean and jerk, and nearly 400pounds in the snatch. He has been training oly style now for around 10 years, and besides the actual weight movements we really only work on plyo's.

We decided to test his vertical and he hit an amazing 48 in. Ran a laser timed 4.3 40 yard dash and hit just over 10 feet in a standing broad jump.

Simply amazing to watch how over a period of a decade he is able to recruit (fire) so many fast twitch muscle fibers from basically oly style lifts.

If you were to ask me the best overall athletes, I'd say gymnasts, but I guess olympic powerlifters are quite similar.

I will agree that olympic-style lifting is a great way to build overall power and functional strength.

semper60003

Awards
try supplementing your running with other exercises - elliptical for example.