My 14 year old son

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where to put this, but I think this area will work. He's into lifting, and he's getting pretty damned good at it. He especially likes to dead lift. Yesterday he pulled 300 for the first time. He's 6'2" and weighs about 165.

His workout consists of doing 1 body part a week. He works out usually 5 days a week, and does cardio.

My question is this. He's starting to pull some heavy deads. Should I be concerned about him hurting himself? I mean, I know it can happen to anyone, but is there a "limit" or something I should set down for him so he doesn't hurt himself?

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Can you supervise? Get his form checked by a professional...

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where to put this, but I think this area will work. He's into lifting, and he's getting pretty damned good at it. He especially likes to dead lift. Yesterday he pulled 300 for the first time. He's 6'2" and weighs about 165.

His workout consists of doing 1 body part a week. He works out usually 5 days a week, and does cardio.

My question is this. He's starting to pull some heavy deads. Should I be concerned about him hurting himself? I mean, I know it can happen to anyone, but is there a "limit" or something I should set down for him so he doesn't hurt himself?
so he is working 1 body part for 5 days? I think you and him should do some research together and come up with a more effective and healthier workout plan...like all body parts once per week.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
No...he said he works out 5 days a week and does each body part once a week.

My advise would to teach him to stick to the basic compound movements and advise him to take a week off from time to time. As far as the amount of weight he does...as long as he can do the exercise for 5 reps then I don't think he has much to worry about.

I would make sure he's using good form and continue to encourage him to keep up the good work.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I've had some buddies at the gym that are much more experianced than me at dead lifting helping him out. Was just concerned that he might be starting to lift more than his 14 year old frame is ready for.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I agree with firefighter. Play it safe and don't let him do more than his 5 rep max. Sounds like he'll still become a beast.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I've had some buddies at the gym that are much more experianced than me at dead lifting helping him out. Was just concerned that he might be starting to lift more than his 14 year old frame is ready for.
Chances are, if his muscles are ready for it, the rest of his body will also be.

People forget about what kids do in places like play grounds and climbing trees. Jumping down from several feet in the air over and over will put WAY more stress on joint, ligaments and tendons than anything these kids could lift in training.

In just running, the impact forces on one leg are as much as 2.5 times bodyweight. Now imagine jumping down from some tree limb that's 4-5 feet in the air.