Good exercise to replace pull-ups?

WillB123

WillB123

Awards
Throw a good exercise to replace pull-ups at me. I'm on a 12 week strength and conditioning program for Division I college rugby - coach wants me to follow the program to a "t" but I'm taking summer classes on another campus, and dont have any time to hit the real gym at my regular campus and cram in the calories on top of that (7 Hours of Chem. 4 days a week). So essientially I workout at home and I am not able to do pull-ups. Blah. Thanks in advance dudes.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If the problem is lack of a bar to do pull-ups then I can't think of anything to replace it since it would require different equipment.

I have used the edges of my overhang over the back porch. you should be able to find something to pull yourself up with. Rope climb?

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
When I was trekking in the Himalayas I still managed to do pull-ups on the wooden crossbeams of the houses I stayed in... You can do pull-ups anywhere if you look hard enough for a flat, horizontal surface.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what do you have at home? You can do pulldowns, thats the closest thing to doing an actual pullup.

WillB123

WillB123

Awards
thanks for the suggestions dudes. I do have a nice fat beam that hangs off my porch so that will work - haha never thought of that, thanks jayhawkk.

as far as pulldowns go; i lack the equipment. All ive got is freeweights and no squat rack. I'd try placing a bar in the squat rack and do pull-ups from that if I could. Its cool though, problem solved thanks guys :head:

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
thanks for the suggestions dudes. I do have a nice fat beam that hangs off my porch so that will work - haha never thought of that, thanks jayhawkk.

as far as pulldowns go; i lack the equipment. All ive got is freeweights and no squat rack. I'd try placing a bar in the squat rack and do pull-ups from that if I could. Its cool though, problem solved thanks guys :head:
use that or go to the local playground and use the monkey bars. no machine can replace the pullup...no way

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
yeah for a change of pace, drape a towel over a bar/beam. get some nasty grip, i'd imagine this would help for rugby.