Sumo stance for deads

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
What deadlift stance do you guys think is best for tall ppl. I'm near 6'5 and think sumo would be better for me rather then conventional.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6ft3 here. StaRTed out with conventional and now expiermenting doing sumo-stance. I say do both . Sure youll have a favorite but different stances, grips works different muscles which can assist in other lifts or just make a different appearance.

Sumo-stance is good for bringing up your squat. I beleive I got this info from Cory, the 17 year old kid that Deadlifted 500 plus pounds.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been doing these about one month. Im on a program and in about 2-3 weeks Im going to do my first Max sumo-style... Today is Sumo-style Deads and I think im doing 85 % 6 x;s with 90 sec rest in between each set(after warmup of course) Im using my convential Max of 405 lbs.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Triedsumo, coulfn't get comfortable. I never heard of it helping squats, maybe ill have to give them a shot again. my last max was a few months ago at 405 also. I was so happy, but it took so much out of me, my CNS was torn up after that for the day.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Sumo will help powerlifting style squats, fo' sho'. Oly squats? maybe not so much.

If you're long femured, you might find it easier to pull sumo style. This is my category, but i still mostly pull conventional. Sumo can get rough on the hips.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
yeah I am long femured. I am just going to rotate stances.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
yeah I am long femured. I am just going to rotate stances.
Don't forget to throw in some racks. I am going to start trying out some sumo's I am stuck @405 for a couple. I think mine is mostly sweaty palms so I am going to invest in some chalk and/or grrrrip.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are having trouble with your grip chalk will certainly help, but you could also try out a hook grip as well. Oly lifters use this, and although it is awkward at first just stick with it.

All you do is grip the bar like usual, but instead of wrapping the thunb over the knuckles you position your thumb underneath the fingers so that you are essentialy gripping your thumb as well as the bar. Sorry if that is confusing, but its kinda hard to express it in words. Anyway it is usually utilized with an overhand grip on the bar, but I think it may also be used with an over/under grip?

Anyway, to answer the original question, it really depends on what is more comfortable to the individual. I would try both styles, along with varying widths with your stance and your grip location on the bar until you find what works for you.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Conventional deds put focus mainly on your back. Sumo shifts that to your hams. Sumo deds are a leg exercise, conventional deds are a back exercise.

Sumo has greater potential than conventional does. How good youa re at one over the other is gonna probably be based on how strong your back versus your hams are.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Conventional deds put focus mainly on your back. Sumo shifts that to your hams. Sumo deds are a leg exercise, conventional deds are a back exercise.

Sumo has greater potential than conventional does. How good youa re at one over the other is gonna probably be based on how strong your back versus your hams are.
Well, I know what you mean, but I will disagree a bit.

While pulling conventional, the primary mover should be the glute maximus. If your form is not so good (you can't get down to the bar without flexing a bit at your back, which happens a lot to long-femured-people) then yes, your spinal erectors will take a good portion of the work. However, a skilled puller, pulling submaximal weights, will not mostly work the back. Some powerlifters essentially "stiff-leg" the weight, flexing at the trunk and not much at the knee.

Sumo gets you down closer to the bar, because your feet are spread. Its a lot easier for some people to keep their chest high in this stance. It also (usually significantly) shortens ROM for the lift. Primary movers will be the glutes, hip flexors, and hamstrings.