Day 1: Legs/Traps/Abs

Day 2: Chest

Day 3: Back

Day 4: Shoulders/Arms

I used to do a 3 day split:

Day 1: Legs/Abs

Day 2: Chest/Tris/Shoulders

Day 3: Back/Biceps/Traps

Is this unorthodox or do other people use this split? I sort of made it up but it seems to be working well for me b/c I can focus more on each muscle (more intensiity) and working out 4 days a week as opposed to 3= more calories burned.

Does this seem ok?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Is this 4 on 3 off? or 4 throughout the week?

rocksolid84

Awards
Id say if you could split your workout like this

Day 1: Legs

Day 2: Chest/Abs

Day 3: Shoulders/Traps

Day 4: Back/Arms

And ill give you my reasoning, your chest and your shoulders are large muscle groups, and require alot more attention. If you want a four days split, id say split like i put above. Legs are probably the biggest muscle group you have, so they deservea day separate. Also Rest is key. Id say 2on 1off then 2 on again if you can manage that. This way all your muscle groups that are used in compound movements have a chance to heal before getting attacked again, for example, people use their back when they bench, and of course that not always good so it gives you a two days rest before you do back for real. Anyway this is just my opinion, tell me if anyone agrees with my logic

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

And ill give you my reasoning, your chest and your shoulders are large muscle groups, and require alot more attention. If you want a four days split, id say split like i put above. Legs are probably the biggest muscle group you have, so they deservea day separate. Also Rest is key. Id say 2on 1off then 2 on again if you can manage that. This way all your muscle groups that are used in compound movements have a chance to heal before getting attacked again, for example, people use their back when they bench, and of course that not always good so it gives you a two days rest before you do back for real. Anyway this is just my opinion, tell me if anyone agrees with my logic
i really like the logic on this one only thing i always have a problem with is on back days workouts take so long i dont think i would get a good arm workout.

magx

Awards

hmmm......One problem is that leg days for me aren't that insane b/c I work out at home. I do squats and calf raises and that's it, which is why I threw traps in there......I do deadlift on back day instead of leg day b/c I see it as a back exercise more so than a leg one.....and I worked it so bac and leg day have space in between.....

but shoulders and traps together makes plenty of sense......

hmmm, I may need to look at this more closely tonight....

thanks

rocksolid84

Awards
hmmm......One problem is that leg days for me aren't that insane b/c I work out at home. I do squats and calf raises and that's it, which is why I threw traps in there......I do deadlift on back day instead of leg day b/c I see it as a back exercise more so than a leg one.....and I worked it so bac and leg day have space in between.....

but shoulders and traps together makes plenty of sense......

hmmm, I may need to look at this more closely tonight....

thanks

In that case, i used to workout at home, and your right you are severly limited to what you can do, so in that case why throw in abs, or some small muscle group while leaving he major muscle groups, like chest, and shoulders, by themselves, and no problem im glad to help

magx

Awards
In that case, i used to workout at home, and your right you are severly limited to what you can do, so in that case why throw in abs, or some small muscle group while leaving he major muscle groups, like chest, and shoulders, by themselves, and no problem im glad to help

well, I don't know about severely :) I've made some upgrades to my home gym and now I'd say I am slightly limited ;)

I have about 500lbs in plates, I have the cool Powerblock Dumbells, and a solid bench which with some clever workarounds I also use for a squat rack and military presses :)

And working out at home does have some advantages.....

rocksolid84

Awards
:thumbsup:
well, I don't know about severely :) I've made some upgrades to my home gym and now I'd say I am slightly limited ;)

I have about 500lbs in plates, I have the cool Powerblock Dumbells, and a solid bench which with some clever workarounds I also use for a squat rack and military presses :)

And working out at home does have some advantages.....
Haha compared to what i had at home, that sounds like gym to me haha, i have this rickety old smith, with like 300lbs in plates, and a bench that wobbled like hell, im surpised i didnt die while using it, but i mean then if that works for you than thats awsome, and your absolutley right about deadlifts being more for back than for legs

magx

Awards
:thumbsup:

Haha compared to what i had at home, that sounds like gym to me haha, i have this rickety old smith, with like 300lbs in plates, and a bench that wobbled like hell, im surpised i didnt die while using it, but i mean then if that works for you than thats awsome, and your absolutley right about deadlifts being more for back than for legs

hahahhaha oh man that's great.

When I used to live with my parents in my younger days I had some pretty crazy workouts with some really terrible equpment and imporvises.

I recall using a freaking lawn chair for bench presses...one of those long white plastic beach chairs........oh man.....

rocksolid84

Awards
oh and I also have a tension chin up bar at home
haha the good old days, i used to load up duffell bags with **** so that i could do, lateral and front raises, but no lie those were the best workouts!!!! Tension chin up bar? is that the one thats like a shower curtain rodish?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
yea that routine sounds good. and yea throw in abs as someone said before. and do maybe 2-3 days of cardio in between. sounds great though!

haha the good 'ol days for you guys.

THESE ARE THE DAYS FOR ME

i barley have 200lbs of weight and im gonna die if i dont fix my bench:icon_lol:

rocksolid84

Awards
yea that routine sounds good. and yea throw in abs as someone said before. and do maybe 2-3 days of cardio in between. sounds great though!

i barley have 200lbs of weight and im gonna die if i dont fix my bench:icon_lol:
Hey bro dont sweat it and im only three years older than you and i when i was your age all i had was like a pull up bar, and was stuck doing push ups, and all that jazz, im really impressed you got all your maxs so high, thats a damn acomplishment bro, and you should be real proud of that

magx

Awards

I didn't type them but I do abs here and there, no set day for them though

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro dont sweat it and im only three years older than you and i when i was your age all i had was like a pull up bar, and was stuck doing push ups, and all that jazz, im really impressed you got all your maxs so high, thats a damn acomplishment bro, and you should be real proud of that

well at least u had determination to workout and stuff. yea they are alright. but i can do so much better on my squats. but im happy at what i have. but i strive for that extra 5 pounds.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
but yea man thanks for the encouragement

i feel like dancing now:dance:

hah

rocksolid84

Awards
but yea man thanks for the encouragement

i feel like dancing now:dance:

hah
Haha dance dance bro, cuz i sure as hell cant hahaha
Keep training hard man and you'll get the 5 pounds, believe me, and if you ever have any question bout stuff feel free to shoot me a message

steelcurtain

Awards
I also have some questions about my split. I have never done one before so I thought I should give it a try. Heres what I was thinkin:

Mon
DB press
DB flys
Arnold Press
Lateral Raise
Dips
Skull Crushers

Tues
Db Rows
Wide Grip pullups
Standing dumbell curls
Preacher curls
Db shrugs

Weds
Squat
calf raises
Crunches
leg raises

Thurs
inclined db press
decline db press
upright rows
bradford presses
close grip bench
cable pushdowns

Fri
t-bar rows
lat pulldowns
incline bench curls
hammer curls
BB shrugs

Sat
clean
calf raises
sit-ups
bridge

Im currently taking protein, multi-vitamin, creatine, and glutamine

any suggestions/alternate exercises/additional exercises would be helpful

rocksolid84

Awards
I also have some questions about my split. I have never done one before so I thought I should give it a try. Heres what I was thinkin:

Mon
DB press
DB flys
Arnold Press
Lateral Raise
Dips
Skull Crushers

Tues
Db Rows
Wide Grip pullups
Standing dumbell curls
Preacher curls
Db shrugs

Weds
Squat
calf raises
Crunches
leg raises

Thurs
inclined db press
decline db press
upright rows
bradford presses
close grip bench
cable pushdowns

Fri
t-bar rows
lat pulldowns
incline bench curls
hammer curls
BB shrugs

Sat
clean
calf raises
sit-ups
bridge

Im currently taking protein, multi-vitamin, creatine, and glutamine

any suggestions/alternate exercises/additional exercises would be helpful

Alright lets start with monday, Im assuming from the exercises your doing chest/shoulders/triceps, and thats way to much!! Shoot for Shoulder and Triceps together, and two sets is way to little.

Monday SHoulders/Triceps

Military Presses 4 sets
Arnold presses 4 sets
Lateral Raises superset with Frontal raises 3 sets
Shrugs 3 setes
Close grip bench 3 sets
pulldowns 2 sets
skull crushers 2
DIPS (weighted or un weighted)

Tuesday Bi's and Back

Db Rows
Wide Grip pullups
Deadlifts (if your consider then more back, or do them on a leg day)
t-bar rows
lat pulldowns

Standing dumbell curls
Preacher curls
Hammer Curl
Chin ups (till failure)

Thursday Chest/abs

Flat Bench Press
INcline Bench Press
Decline Bench
Flies/Cable Crossover(these work wonders)
burnout: pushups till failure
Decline situps
Leg raises
knee raises on dip station

Friday Legs

SQUAT
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Leg extensions
Calf raises

etc

As for your diet, i need more info on your diet if you want me to help you with that, i say stick to high protein, and high carb if you want to bulk, but it has to be good carbs not ****, like low glyc index

Tell me what you think

steelcurtain

Awards
sorry about hijacking your thread, i just had a similar question and thought it would be a waste to start a new one

magx

Awards
Haha Magx, hows your reformatted workout coming?
Couldn't tell you, I decided to keep them the same for 1 more month and then apply the changes for 2 months, and then evaluate.

Can't make a comparison too quickly, the changes/effects would be too subtle.

I'll post back in time and we'll see how it went.

steelcurtain

Awards
I was planning on doing three sets with each of those exercises

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I was planning on doing three sets with each of those exercises

is this gonna be your basic 3x10?

if it is well then it doesn't matter

maybe to 2-4 exercises. 4-6 reps about 2-3 sets

u want to overload your muslces to grow.

also keep workout under an hour total