press to chest or just above?

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
When I do bench press I always lower the bar until it touches my chest. I often times see people lowering the weight to just within about six inches or so from their chest. Is there a reason for this? What do you all do and why?

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I do bench press I always lower the bar until it touches my chest. I often times see people lowering the weight to just within about six inches or so from their chest. Is there a reason for this? What do you all do and why?
i alawys touch my chest or come within half a inch of it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The top half of a BP keeps more of the tension on the triceps. If you are trying to work your chest, then lower to your chest, pause, and press it back up focusing on squeezing your chest.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The top half of a BP keeps more of the tension on the triceps. If you are trying to work your chest, then lower to your chest, pause, and press it back up focusing on squeezing your chest.
Rodja dat, Rodja:cheers:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
my natural movement comes down about 3-4 inches above my chest. For a long long time I used to drop it all the way down to my chest. My bench was stck at the same weight for yrs and i developed shoulder problems. i did some research on it here and found alot of info on the subject. It went both ways. now i let the weight come down to where it feels right and let er rip. My bench has shot up over the last 2 yrs.

Also, my chest development has increased 10 fold over that time with some good size and nice separation from top to bottom. Everyone is different, you have to listen to your body and go with it.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I always bring it half a inch before touching my chest pause for around 1-2 secs then push it back up. Makes my chest work harder.

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
Touch the chest and go. Typically if people are having shoulder problems from bench pressing it is either bad form or muscle imbalance, or a combination.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my natural movement comes down about 3-4 inches above my chest. For a long long time I used to drop it all the way down to my chest. My bench was stck at the same weight for yrs and i developed shoulder problems. i did some research on it here and found alot of info on the subject. It went both ways. now i let the weight come down to where it feels right and let er rip. My bench has shot up over the last 2 yrs.

Also, my chest development has increased 10 fold over that time with some good size and nice separation from top to bottom. Everyone is different, you have to listen to your body and go with it.
Of course it shot up, your range of motion is shorter :icon_lol:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Of course it shot up, your range of motion is shorter :icon_lol:
thats sooo funny?!?!? how is that? i also said my shoulders stopped hurting and i was actually able to bench again free of pain and my chest development increased all around. read it again, include EVERYTHING I said, then use your stupid emoticon. Read up J/A you'll find quite a few different opinions on the subject..:hammer: Go see what our reigning MR. Olympia has to say about range of motion....then come in here with your dumba$$ posts. terd

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thats sooo funny?!?!? how is that? i also said my shoulders stopped hurting and i was actually able to bench again free of pain and my chest development increased all around. read it again, include EVERYTHING I said, then use your stupid emoticon. Read up J/A you'll find quite a few different opinions on the subject..:hammer: Go see what our reigning MR. Olympia has to say about range of motion....then come in here with your dumba$$ posts. terd
Wow, very hostile :duel: It was a joke :think:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Wow, very hostile :duel: It was a joke :think:
yeah man sorry about that...i was testy this morning. Got a HUGE presentation dropped in my lap at the last second b/c of of my incompetent staff....testy testy..alls good...my apologies...rock on.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
yeah man sorry about that...i was testy this morning. Got a HUGE presentation dropped in my lap at the last second b/c of of my incompetent staff....testy testy..alls good...my apologies...rock on.

Are you tucking your elbows in when you do a full ROM bench?

If you are bending your elbows out wide BBer style, you will most certainly mess up and hurt your shoulders, tuck those elbows in and save yourself those sore shoulders, WITH the added ability of getting a full ROM.

Personally, I don't see the point in doing anything other than full ROM benches. If you are going to do anything less, than grab a board, and just do board presses at the height it feels most comfortable. I'd feel like a jackass stopping short of my chest and putting it back up.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's all good man, we've all had those days. :) Good luck with that presentation! As far as the ROM if it hurts then I agree you are better off with something else perhaps dumbbells? You may want to look into your form though, make sure elbows get tucked at 45 degress when coming down.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Well when I lift, at the point that the bar is at my chest my forearms are perpendicular to the ground. Is that not right? I do dumbells sometimes too but I would much rather be able to do bb if I can.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Drop it to just below your pecs, just above your upper abs. The path of the bar should have an arc to it.

Tuck your elbows on the way down, (not too much whereas you lose power)... rotate your elbows out on the way up near the top of the movement. This should help alleviate shoulder issues for the most part, and still provide max power throughout the lift. Have your shoulder blades retracted and maintain an arch in your lower back. You should have a stable strong base with your legs, holding off your toes at the top, but as you lower the bar you should push off your heels.. this will maximize the arch and shorten the distance, saving energy and allowing for greater lifts.

Flat bench still can be notoriously hard on the shoulders.. especially when done like the average bodybuilder, with flared elbows, bouncing it off the chest and such.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drop it to just below your pecs, just above your upper abs. The path of the bar should have an arc to it.

Tuck your elbows on the way down, (not too much whereas you lose power)... rotate your elbows out on the way up near the top of the movement. This should help alleviate shoulder issues for the most part, and still provide max power throughout the lift. Have your shoulder blades retracted and maintain an arch in your lower back. You should have a stable strong base with your legs, holding off your toes at the top, but as you lower the bar you should push off your heels.. this will maximize the arch and shorten the distance, saving energy and allowing for greater lifts.

Flat bench still can be notoriously hard on the shoulders.. especially when done like the average bodybuilder, with flared elbows, bouncing it off the chest and such.

I usually use a general rule of thumb to bring it over my nipples, is that incorrect? Also, how do you feel about resting it on the chest for one second to completely negate any momentum?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I usually use a general rule of thumb to bring it over my nipples, is that incorrect? Also, how do you feel about resting it on the chest for one second to completely negate any momentum?

Don't drop it above your nipples. Gotta drop it to JUST below them, like where your chest just drops off and turns into your upper abs.

As for pauses, that's how you do them if you want to compete. Personally I do alot of switching back and forth between touch n go's, pauses, negatives with a touch n go, and negatives with a pause. A little of everything really.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but make sure you have your grip wide enough as well. I see alot of people using a grip that's right in the middle between a regular flat BP grip, and a close grip bench grip.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't drop it above your nipples. Gotta drop it to JUST below them, like where your chest just drops off and turns into your upper abs.

As for pauses, that's how you do them if you want to compete. Personally I do alot of switching back and forth between touch n go's, pauses, negatives with a touch n go, and negatives with a pause. A little of everything really.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but make sure you have your grip wide enough as well. I see alot of people using a grip that's right in the middle between a regular flat BP grip, and a close grip bench grip.
Next few chest day I think I'm going to start off with DB inclines a bit. Bench, I usually do pinky on the rings, its roughly the width of my hand outside of shoulder width on each side. Today my chest/tri workout was Flat bb bench, incline db, CGBP, dips, rope pushdowns with dropsets.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
If your shoulders are hurting check your form. All the way from your feet to your head. Watch those elbows and the placement of the bar, as was said below the nipples. If you want max strength push straight up, its the shortest path, and get a good back arch, shoulders retracted. I have no problem with people who use a shortened range of motion for size but just don't tell someone how strong you are on the bench if its not full range (not saying you did, this is my general pet peeve). Technically in order to brag about your bench you should have to have the pause, I only require you touch your chest and keep your butt down to brag to me, lol.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
double post sorry

Last edited:
calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
If your shoulders are hurting check your form. All the way from your feet to your head. Watch those elbows and the placement of the bar, as was said below the nipples. If you want max strength push straight up, its the shortest path, and get a good back arch, shoulders retracted. I have no problem with people who use a shortened range of motion for size but just don't tell someone how strong you are on the bench if its not full range (not saying you did, this is my general pet peeve). Technically in order to brag about your bench you should have to have the pause, I only require you touch your chest and keep your butt down to brag to me, lol.

Haha I agree. I hate when I see guys at the gym like "did you just see me? I hit 265 on incline 6 times." "Yeah and I also saw that you turned it pretty much into a flat bench when you pulled your @ss about a foot and a half off the bench." The worst i've ever seen (also the funniest) was this guy in high school. We were working out for football and he was a small guy. 5'5" probably about 115 (he wasn't on the team...he was just around.) Anyways...the guy worked out and he comes in and puts 215 on a machine. My other buddy is spotting him (on a machine...yes...ridiculous but he wanted someone to spot him.) My buddy was putting like all of his might into spotting this guy..and he finally gets one rep. Gets up and runs around screaming "I benched 215!!! I benched 215!!!" Of course I called him out cause I'm an @ss hole. haha

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha I agree. I hate when I see guys at the gym like "did you just see me? I hit 265 on incline 6 times." "Yeah and I also saw that you turned it pretty much into a flat bench when you pulled your @ss about a foot and a half off the bench." The worst i've ever seen (also the funniest) was this guy in high school. We were working out for football and he was a small guy. 5'5" probably about 115 (he wasn't on the team...he was just around.) Anyways...the guy worked out and he comes in and puts 215 on a machine. My other buddy is spotting him (on a machine...yes...ridiculous but he wanted someone to spot him.) My buddy was putting like all of his might into spotting this guy..and he finally gets one rep. Gets up and runs around screaming "I benched 215!!! I benched 215!!!" Of course I called him out cause I'm an @ss hole. haha
Well in that case I'm an as$hole too cause that would piss me off..it's people like us that keep the scrubs in line :lol: Somebody's gotta do it! :trout: I have some personal favorites as well, like the kid doing one-arm DB curls on the preacher curling with his right arm, and he's on the cell with his left. Or the kids that have the ego's twice the size of their legs that stack up the weights on squat, and don't even flir with hitting parallel. Sh1t, I don't even like when people work out in guinea-t's, sleeveless shirts, or any bullsh1t like that. I wear big t-shirts or long sleeves, but maybe thats just me :think: Mostly cause these kids stand in the mirror more than they hit the weights..:toilet:

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Well in that case I'm an as$hole too cause that would piss me off..it's people like us that keep the scrubs in line :lol: Somebody's gotta do it! :trout: I have some personal favorites as well, like the kid doing one-arm DB curls on the preacher curling with his right arm, and he's on the cell with his left. Or the kids that have the ego's twice the size of their legs that stack up the weights on squat, and don't even flir with hitting parallel. Sh1t, I don't even like when people work out in guinea-t's, sleeveless shirts, or any bullsh1t like that. I wear big t-shirts or long sleeves, but maybe thats just me :think: Mostly cause these kids stand in the mirror more than they hit the weights..:toilet:
I just wear normal fitting t shirts when I go. Another thing that I hate though is when people load up the leg press with all kinds of ridiculous weight...then get down to like a 130 degree angle and push it right back up like "Yeah...I leg press 680 for reps." Whatever dude. lower that Sh!t to your chest and you're gonna crush yourself.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just wear normal fitting t shirts when I go. Another thing that I hate though is when people load up the leg press with all kinds of ridiculous weight...then get down to like a 130 degree angle and push it right back up like "Yeah...I leg press 680 for reps." Whatever dude. lower that Sh!t to your chest and you're gonna crush yourself.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Big fvckin' deal. Go train and who gives a fvck about how other people do it. Judging someone on the shirts they wear? That's ridiculous.

How about this, I'm judging you on how you are representing yourself right now.

It's training... it's not a fvckin' fashion show. Do it for yourself. That trivial **** doesn't affect you, and all you end up accomplishing is sounding like an insecure prick when you judge others. It's not like we need more things to piss us off.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Big fvckin' deal. Go train and who gives a fvck about how other people do it. Judging someone on the shirts they wear? That's ridiculous.

It's training... it's not a fvckin' fashion show. Do it for yourself. That trivial **** doesn't affect you, and all you end up accomplishing is sounding like an insecure prick when you judge others. It's not like we need more things to piss us off.
:run: :run: :run:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established

The Ubi has spoken....

:bow28:

There are a few threads in the general chat on the subject of whako gym sh*t. Look'em up. they are fun..

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Ubi has spoken....

:bow28:

There are a few threads in the general chat on the subject of whako gym sh*t. Look'em up. they are fun..
I'm curious about how I look like a prick by judging others as he announces he is judging me on my posts about how I feel towards some of the members in my gym? :blink: :think:

Thanks for the heads up though Vic, sometimes it just feels good to vent about the people who come to the gym to socialize and do curls in the squat rack, etc.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Dave, the paradox was part of my point.

Me coming off vehemently angry over your post is about as logical as you being pissed off at sleeveless shirts. Your post doesn't affect my life, nor does that person's choice in gym attire... or that person who chooses to carry on a converstation on his cellphone. The world is full of people that seem ridiculous to the other half, we just make do and try not to eat each other.

Namaste

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dave, the paradox was part of my point.

Me coming off vehemently angry over your post is about as logical as you being pissed off at sleeveless shirts. Your post doesn't affect my life, nor does that person's choice in gym attire... or that person who chooses to carry on a converstation on his cellphone. The world is full of people that seem ridiculous to the other half, we just make do and try not to eat each other.

Namaste
I tottallly agree with that. To be honest it is not the clothing that bothers me, sh1t lemme be real with you. None of it really BOTHERS me so to speak. But sometimes it gets to be a little when you see kids constantly flexing and in my way when I try to just get in do my thing and get out. Sleeveless shirts , i could care less about :) My apologies if I came off ignorantly to anyone.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I understood what you meant. It is kind of annoying. I'm not going to pretend I don't glance over at the mirror from time to time. But it can get ridiculous with some of these guys. And it seems to me like most of these guys become the reason gyms go to ****. They don't care if the gym keeps the good ****. They just want machines and mirrors. I HATE that. My gym just got rid of the standing and donkey calf raises. They threw away the belt you can add weight to for dips. They got extra machines...AND they turned the power lifting room into a group cycling room. THERE'S ALREADY 2 CYCLING ROOMS!!!!! BASTAAAAAARDS!!!! And they acted like I was ridiculous for asking for that damn belt. "Oh...haha..we through that old thing away." Man I'm off topic.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what the hell? are you guys complaining about people who wear sleeveless shirts? i understand the people like the ones that dont use full range of motion being funny but how does someone that wears a sleeveless shirt bug you in the least. sounds more like you are jealous cuz you cant where a sleeveless shirt.

use full range of motion and one day you will be able to fill out the baggy long sleeve shirt you wear.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I don't really give a sh!t what kind of shirts people wear. I'm just complaining about ROM and the lame equipment that's came up in my gym now.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what the hell? are you guys complaining about people who wear sleeveless shirts? i understand the people like the ones that dont use full range of motion being funny but how does someone that wears a sleeveless shirt bug you in the least. sounds more like you are jealous cuz you cant where a sleeveless shirt.

use full range of motion and one day you will be able to fill out the baggy long sleeve shirt you wear.
Did you read any of the posts in this thread? Or did you just see sleeveless shirts once and ignore everything else said? :frustrate

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't think anyone was complaining about sleeveless shirts as a whole. Just those guys that come into the gym with them wanting to just stare in the mirror all day. Also the point of kids doing the preacher bench with a dumbell in the right and a cell phone in the left.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I don't think anyone was complaining about sleeveless shirts as a whole. Just those guys that come into the gym with them wanting to just stare in the mirror all day. Also the point of kids doing the preacher bench with a dumbell in the right and a cell phone in the left.
Precisely, but I think I am done with this thread, the original post has been answered and the rest is just a touchy subject for some it seems so ... yeaa :)

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I think it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Ive noticed that when I dont go all the way down, I can lift more and do more reps. Ok, so that obvious.

When I first started working out, I always went all the down. And now, im trying out not going all the way down. It seems to be working better for me for increasing strength. Size gains I have not noticed a large difference on either.

I think people should try both for a bit, and try to measure the gains in strength and size. YOu might not get total muscle development from not going all the way down though. But, on the other hand, the more weight underneath you, the more growth hormone is released ie. (the principle behind the 3 master compounds).

If you want total chest development, do some flys and go as low and wide as you want.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Ive noticed that when I dont go all the way down, I can lift more and do more reps. Ok, so that obvious.

When I first started working out, I always went all the down. And now, im trying out not going all the way down. It seems to be working better for me for increasing strength. Size gains I have not noticed a large difference on either.

I think people should try both for a bit, and try to measure the gains in strength and size. YOu might not get total muscle development from not going all the way down though. But, on the other hand, the more weight underneath you, the more growth hormone is released ie. (the principle behind the 3 master compounds).

If you want total chest development, do some flys and go as low and wide as you want.

I think you you are contradicting yourself personally. I mean are you really getting strength gains? No most likely not, the weight is just easier to lift because you aren't going all the way down. You didn't really get any stronger, you just found a way to make it easier to do more weight with the amount of strength you have.

It's like a guy that gains 50 pounds out of a new bench shirt. And now he thinks his bench shot up 50 pounds and he gained 50 pounds of strength on his bench. No, not even close, he just found out how to make it easier to bench with the strength he had.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I could see you saying that...and yeah your bench press will go up as far as not lowering the weight down all the way. But then what happens when you start going down all the way to your chest again? Will that make that whole time you wer doing it not to chest worthless as far as full ROM strength goes? Also, does having that extra weight really increase more HGH? Seems to me like it wouldn't matter since your body is just going on intensity of the lift. Your muscles aren't going "oh here we go...he just added 20 more pounds, it's time to get down!!" I think it only goes on the intensity of the lift. So where you can have more weight on a partial ROM, you can have just as much if not more intensity full ROM with less weight. Does this make sense to anyone?

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I could see you saying that...and yeah your bench press will go up as far as not lowering the weight down all the way. But then what happens when you start going down all the way to your chest again? Will that make that whole time you wer doing it not to chest worthless as far as full ROM strength goes? Also, does having that extra weight really increase more HGH? Seems to me like it wouldn't matter since your body is just going on intensity of the lift. Your muscles aren't going "oh here we go...he just added 20 more pounds, it's time to get down!!" I think it only goes on the intensity of the lift. So where you can have more weight on a partial ROM, you can have just as much if not more intensity full ROM with less weight. Does this make sense to anyone?
Definitely, you are saying that the increase of weight does not justify the decrease in ROM because it is overall lowering the intensity level. Whereas a marginally smaller amount of weight and full ROM will add to intensity, which in turn results in HGH and all the goodies:cheers:

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
As far as the lowering the weight topic, yes they both have their benefits. You can lift more weight with a partial range of motion. Lifting heavier with partials is a good way to increase your overall strength in a full ROM. (Think board presses, floor presses) Going back to my earlier post now if you are going for size a partial range of motion can also be good for that as you can keep constant tension in the pec with more weight. The only thing that bugs me about a partial is if someone claims it as their "actual" bench. Use full range of motion, use partials, use different grips, keep constant variation in order to work your week points and increase your lift as a whole.

ultra2extreme

Awards
I tottallly agree with that. To be honest it is not the clothing that bothers me, sh1t lemme be real with you. None of it really BOTHERS me so to speak. But sometimes it gets to be a little when you see kids constantly flexing and in my way when I try to just get in do my thing and get out. Sleeveless shirts , i could care less about :) My apologies if I came off ignorantly to anyone.
Wanna talk about 'getting real' hell why do we bodybuild? So people can look at us and go "wow" and so we can look in the mirror and flex and be pleased with our accomplishments however they may seem to others.

If your a power lifter or you train for the numbers then thats fair enough, but BBers rain for the look and lets be honest, or real, why put in hours at the gym $$$ on the supps and pain throughout your body to go around wearing a baggy tee and sweats?

Besides training in a vest, tank or topless is far cooler (temperature wise) and more comfortable

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wanna talk about 'getting real' hell why do we bodybuild? So people can look at us and go "wow" and so we can look in the mirror and flex and be pleased with our accomplishments however they may seem to others.

If your a power lifter or you train for the numbers then thats fair enough, but BBers rain for the look and lets be honest, or real, why put in hours at the gym $$$ on the supps and pain throughout your body to go around wearing a baggy tee and sweats?

Besides training in a vest, tank or topless is far cooler (temperature wise) and more comfortable
To each their own my friend :)