How much cardio is right??

Twisterdad

Twisterdad

Awards
Hey all I am lifting 3-4 times a week and am doing cardio on my off weights days and was wondering if that was enough or can or should I up my cardio to help get rid of a little my body fat and fat around my abs??

meb019

Banned
Awards
the best time to do cardio is in the morning directly after you get up, before eating. in the early morning your blood glucose levels are at their lowest from sleeping all night, so your body is functioning only on stored fat cells and muscle tissue. i do morning cardio 3-4 times a week at a moderate intensity for a good 30 min. sometimes i combine that w quick abs. it seems to work.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
the best time to do cardio is in the morning directly after you get up, before eating
Not necessary IMO. Cardio post-workout also gives you the benefit of higher GH levels during cardio and as long as your nutrition is spot on then this is not gonna make or break someone's results.

IMO, cardio 4 times a week for 30-35 minutes is a good starting point. You can gradually increase to 5-6 times and 45 minutes if you need to accelerate your results. Good luck with your cut bro :)

meb019

Banned
Awards
Not necessary IMO. Cardio post-workout also gives you the benefit of higher GH levels during cardio and as long as your nutrition is spot on then this is not gonna make or break someone's results.
the only problem w cardio post workout is that if your lift is long already (45 min +), then the added aerobic exercise will only expedite the onset of catabolism (aka. muscle breakdown). too much time in the gym isnt always a good thing. interval training tho might be a good idea if you want to get lean.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
the only problem w cardio post workout is that if your lift is long already (45 min +), then the added aerobic exercise will only expedite the onset of catabolism. too much time in the gym isnt always a good thing. interval training tho might be a good idea if you want to get lean.
If he keeps his heart rate at about 65% during cardio then catabolism shouldn't be an issues since the body is very efficient at burning fat while using this type of intensity. Either way he'll see results, we're just splitting hairs with these details :cool:

meb019

Banned
Awards
its up to him in the end. if you wanna do cardio post workout then go ahead, if it works for you. if your goal is more to burn fat than to build muscle, i would try more interval training and aerobic workouts. otherwise, i think doing a balanced split of cardio in the morning and weight training later in the day is your best bet for trimming down and adding muscle mass at the same time.

i work out on a five day split....workouts generally an hr long... and i personally feel that i have no more positive energy to spend on cardio after my lifts.

Twisterdad

Twisterdad

Awards
Hey thanks to the both of you, right now I'm just trying to get a little more of this spare tire gone, But I will still lift my weights 3-4 times a week and my cardio is just running 2 miles with my daughter on this cross country course. I keep it at 3 times a week I guess too, I'll just have so make it and my weights a little more intense