how many hours a week should i train?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
one guy says 7 hours or you're undertraining! sounds like alot to me average hour a day? what are your thoughts?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
45 - 60 minutes 3 times a week for lifting.

Cardio based upon if you are bulking, cutting or preparing for a contest and the speed of your metabolism.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
im a gym rat. 10-12 hrs. per week lifting. another hour or two with cardio. Sage

csakiges

Awards
There isn't anything set in stone. You need to learn how your body reacts to different training intervals. Some may work out for 30 minutes a day for three days and some like Sage, might work out alot during the week. I might say that training 10-12 hours like Sage would be overtraining (even taking an AAS), but that may work for Sage. I think your best bet would be to weight train 3-4 times per week and maybe do cardio 3-4 times per week. Cardio can depend upon what your goals are. If you have been doing that and results have stopped, you may want to try one of the recomendations from one of the bros on here. Or you can incorporate alot of other things to change your routine without changing your schedule (incorporting drop sets, forced reps., more volume training, etc...) The point is, you are going to hear many say different routines work for them, that is the exact point...FOR THEM. Doesn't mean it will work for you. Even though I try and keep my workouts no longer than 45 minutes just for the sake of stabbing off catabolism (glucagon and cortisol), doesn't mean others are wrong who work out for an hour and 15 minutes. Trial and error, weight lifting is a constant learning experience in which everyone's needs might be a little different. Try some new things out, don't be scared to experiment. ;)

Blacksmith

Awards
Originally posted by julius kelp
what are your thoughts?
Well since you asked,

Intensity during training is most important, not length.

Anything over 75 minutes and your cortisol levels will rise and start to eat your muscle - nice :D. Probably why long distance runners are such freakin rails.

30-45 minutes even an hour is ok.

I like to go 3 days on 1 day off then 2 days on 1 day off.

This will allow your body to recouperate without overtraining.

Especially if you stick to one or two body parts per day.

Anyway, it works for me.

Less training and higher intensity is the way to go IMO.

Muscles grow at rest. After they have been broken down with intense training.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Blacksmith hit it on the head intensity is the key to length of your workout. For example, if I am short on time, I may use strip sets for a fast and hard workout. Using bench as an example, I will warm up with 2-3 sets then put about 80% of max on the bar in smaller weights for half of it. (say your doing 225, put on your standard 135, then make the rest up in 5 and 10 pound plates) I will rep out, IMMEDIATLY strip a plate off each side, and rep that out, continuing until I was down to the 135. Now I am done with chest. Using strip sets, rest pause, etc will hit your muscles hard and fast.

OTOH I also do GVT on occasion, which is lower poundages, and 10 sets os 10 using the same weight. If I am doing GVT the entire workout may take an hour and a half.

As you advance as a lifter, you learn to have more and more intense workouts, and therefore need to cut the time down as well as the sets in many cases. It is just something you learn as you go along.