Most common reasons for having a BAD workout

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I did chest today and my strength was way down. i was putting up 115x8 for my incline db press 3 days ago and today i could only get 110x5. WHATS WRONG WITH ME???!!!!
:sad:

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Sleep problems are number 1 for me.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my sleep was good last night. maybe too good? i ALWAYS eat good and a lot. sometimes if i go tanning before i lift it sucks but today "should" have been good to go. could me deadlifting yesterday effected my chest today?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my sleep was good last night. maybe too good? i ALWAYS eat good and a lot. sometimes if i go tanning before i lift it sucks but today "should" have been good to go. could me deadlifting yesterday effected my chest today?
Possibly because of CNS fatigue.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I deadlifted last Thursday and had a sh1t chest workout Friday.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I've always had a problem "just saying no" ;)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Possibly because of CNS fatigue.
that was my first instinct as well. 2 major bodyparts in back to back workouts could cause this. have you taken a day off since your last chest day?

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
For me, it's usually low carb status.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
For me it's stress, poor nutrition, and lack of sleep that affect me. The lack of sleep is the one that happens the most.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
it sucks that the above reasons can take away so much from a workout.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed on the stress and lack of sleep. Lack of focus is extremely detrimental to performance.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I normally do deads on thursday then chest on sat mornings. Last week did deads on thursday and chest on friday night and had the best chest workout in a long time. I was aching a little in the lower back but didn't feel it effect my chest strength at all. So erm i got know idea :think:

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I just have bad workout days and I don't dtress about it, but realize that somthing is not right, go home and start afresh the next day.
You can't expect perfect workouts all the time.
The most common reasons for me to have a bad workout are:

Hydration - I can get dehydrated without realizing it, I tend to workout for long periods at a time (3-4 hours) and its hard to replenish my fluid during that time.

Sleep - I may have been in my bed for 8 hours, but the quality of my sleep may have equalled only 4 hours worth. Perhaps I was too hot and was tossing a turning a lot, or getting up a lot to pee :) (that keeping hydrated thing has its downfalls). So, you may think you had a good nights sleep, but be unaware of a restless night.

Carbs - Not getting enough carbs can lead to terrible muscle fatigue for me. Glycogen is so important to keeping us going through workouts, and if I have not eaten properly at the right time before working out, I crash easily.

Rest - I am probably the worst person for overtraining. But there are times when I think I am recovered because my muscles are not sore anymore, but I can't lift as much. When I give it a couple more days after the soreness subsides, I have a much better workout.

Mood - I find that music can really change my mood. If I have a high intensity song on my ipod, I find it gives me a better workout. Lifting to a slow song makes me lift less and my workouts suck.

Hope that helps.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Poor nutrient timing..ie not timing pre WO meals and shakes right.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I just have bad workout days and I don't dtress about it, but realize that somthing is not right, go home and start afresh the next day.
You can't expect perfect workouts all the time.
The most common reasons for me to have a bad workout are:

Hydration - I can get dehydrated without realizing it, I tend to workout for long periods at a time (3-4 hours) and its hard to replenish my fluid during that time.

Sleep - I may have been in my bed for 8 hours, but the quality of my sleep may have equalled only 4 hours worth. Perhaps I was too hot and was tossing a turning a lot, or getting up a lot to pee :) (that keeping hydrated thing has its downfalls). So, you may think you had a good nights sleep, but be unaware of a restless night.

Carbs - Not getting enough carbs can lead to terrible muscle fatigue for me. Glycogen is so important to keeping us going through workouts, and if I have not eaten properly at the right time before working out, I crash easily.

Rest - I am probably the worst person for overtraining. But there are times when I think I am recovered because my muscles are not sore anymore, but I can't lift as much. When I give it a couple more days after the soreness subsides, I have a much better workout.

Mood - I find that music can really change my mood. If I have a high intensity song on my ipod, I find it gives me a better workout. Lifting to a slow song makes me lift less and my workouts suck.

Hope that helps.
very very good points. thanks.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Poor nutrient timing..ie not timing pre WO meals and shakes right.
i think that might have a lot to do with it. i always stress about not eating to much before the gym. like no food for over 2 hours before because of my pre workout cocktails. but to be honest the best chest day i had was last week and i had something to eat like 30 min before the gym.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
i think that might have a lot to do with it. i always stress about not eating to much before the gym. like no food for over 2 hours before because of my pre workout cocktails. but to be honest the best chest day i had was last week and i had something to eat like 30 min before the gym.
I feel like a shake of whey and oats is a good substitute 30 minutes before your workout because you won't have that crazy full stomach feeling and you'll have a nutritious pre workout shake to keep you going through the workout. I use 2 scoops of whjey, 1 cup of oats and I blend them in 2 cups of water with ice cubes.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Could have to do with your tri/shoulder situation, they might be fatigued and or recovering. You might be fighting off an illness that never came to be, as your body was kiling it off.
Your hormones might be slightly fluctuating, Cns fatigue as stated, maybe your distracted by thinking your weaker, and maybe the wrong song was playing in the gym. Maybe in your mind you were thinking about something negative that instead of motivating you , made you weak by comparison. Im realising outlook is huge in every aspect of positive advancement.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some days we just simply don't bring out "A" game. Think of it like losing a sports event against a rivaled opponent, best thing to do is shake it off, kick ass next time, and shove it in their face. (That just gave me a mental image of Chad talking smack to a pair of 115lb dumbbells lying near a bench.) :toofunny:

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Lots of things and those already mentioned. Poor sleep for one or more nights, stress from work or a fight with my wife (that really throws me off), mental fatigue, overtraining, diet, having my mind elsewhere (not focused). It could be an endless list.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow like thesinner mentioned. Don't stress over a bad workout too much. If they start coming more frequently, then you'll really need to take a look at what you're doing/not doing.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
its also important to recognize these days that you arent feeling as strong as normal. M & M features an article that addresses this scenario. it is recommended to change up your training style on these days and emphasizes focus on other aspects besides strength. the following is cited from Tim Wescott's Muscle Confusion artcle:

"If a heavy weight feels extra heavy on a particular day, or if even your warm-up poundages are tough, simply lower poundages and rest less between sets, these shorter rest periods, coupled with the use of use drop sets and triple drop-sets, X-Reps, Super-Sets, or some other intensity techniques thrown in, will ensure that even though your energy levels are low, or you didn’t get much sleep the night before, or whatever the variable is that’s contributing to you feeling a bit off, you still have a good and a productive training session in spite of it. So on our third day of training for the week, we may not go as heavy as we might have hoped to, but we still get in a good productive workout!

We all have bad days, but we do not have to have bad workouts, just some that are perhaps a bit better than others!"

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some days we just simply don't bring out "A" game. Think of it like losing a sports event against a rivaled opponent, best thing to do is shake it off, kick ass next time, and shove it in their face. (That just gave me a mental image of Chad talking smack to a pair of 115lb dumbbells lying near a bench.) :toofunny:
HAHAHA yeah i do talk $hit to heavy DB before a set.
" you little mother@#$%ers!!! you better stay up there till i say so!!!"

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's when they start talking back that you need to start worrying.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Dumbells talking to dumbells! :toofunny:

:run:

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
HAHAHA yeah i do talk $hit to heavy DB before a set.
" you little mother@#$%ers!!! you better stay up there till i say so!!!"
LOL:clap2: :rofl:

Poor sleep quality and bad meal timing are workout killers for me.
Also if somebody is trying to talk my ear off and breaks my momentum, I usually train HST at a high pace.

meb019

Banned
Awards
every now and then i have a crappy workout. its generally the result of any number of things. sometimes i just have a bad day, so cortisol kicks in and i feel stressed. lifting usually helps me brighten up, but if i have a bad lift, cant do as much as i hope to, overtrain, i get even more depressed.
i wouldnt worry tho.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i feel like thinking about the workout too much fcks me up...i have a lot of ****ty shoulder and chest workouts bc I always think about trying to press insane weight like 3 days before the workout...

when i have a sH*tty workout I just do lighter weight higher reps and REALLY focus on form...that seems to work out pretty well for me