Seeking for a performance/stamina/strenght routine.

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been doing 4-5 sets of 5-8 reps range ever since I started bodybuilding.
I'm leaving for an army course this summer and I want to arrive there in the best shape of my life. So the priority right now is not gaining weight nor building muscle, but I would like to have a workout that will improve my stamina/endurance/strenght. I have been slowly increasing my cardio sessions the past few months, and now it is time for a weight workout to reach my goal. I have heard that I should concentrate on full body workouts composed mainly of olympic lifts. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Super sets and tri-sets will definitely bumb up the conditioning aspect. Plus move your rep range up to around 15 and use short rest periods ~15 seconds.

If you want, post up the exercises you're doing now and I could make a few recommendations.

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your help

this is what im currently doing

Chest/Triceps

DB Incline
DB Bench Press
Lever Decline Chest Press
Dips

Back/Biceps

Chinups
BB Rows
Cable Seated Row
Front Pulldown
DB Hammer Curls

Legs/Shoulders

BB Squats
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raise
BB Military Press
DB Lateral Raise
BB Shrugs

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
So you mentioned full body workouts with olympic lifts. And you're going to want to be doing a boatlaod of cardio to get ready for the military. Here's some ideas, and nothing's written in stone:

Full body - M/W/F
Clean and Press: 3x15 (Mon and Frid only)
Squats 3x15 superset with Leg Curls 3x15
Incline DB presses 3x15 superset with Pushups 3x as many as you can do (might as well get good at them now!)
Bent-Over Row 3x15 superset with close grip pullups 3x as many as you can do.
Tri-set of DB shoulder press, hammer curl, tricep pushdown all 3x15
Full situps superset with hanging leg raises, both as many as you can do.

I mentioned the clean and presses only on Mon and Fri, they can take a lot out of you, so some more rest between those is good. If you start feeling overtrained, take all the exercises down to two sets. If you're still not recovering, bring it down to only twice per week. It's a lot of volume in the above workout, but start there and take the volume down as needed.

Tomorrow morning, when you wake up, take your pulse immediately. Keep a clock or watch with a second hand and take it for a full minute. Also when you take it on your wrist, use your thumb, it has the same pulse as your wrist (obviously), so it can enhance feeling it. Only use the two fingers when you take it on somebody else. Anyway...your morning resting pulse can be a good indicator of overtraining. If it suddenly starts getting faster, you'll know to back down on the exercises.

As for cardio, lots of walking/jogging on the treadmill (or outside if the weather permits), vary the incline, maybe once per week do the elipitical instead for some cross training. Another thing is you could get a backpack and throw some weights in it when using the treadmill as you'll be lugging one around in basic training.

How's that sound?

After all

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
One more thing...take at least on day off completely during the week, like Sunday for example.

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like a great routine, will give it a try, thanks man :)

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
holycrap, they are machines :blink:
Yea it's friggin' intense. They do 21 reps of the thrusters (the exercise that kind of looks like a clean and press) with 135lbs then 21 pull ups, then 15 of each, then 9 of each.

They have workouts of the day posted on the frontpage Monday through Friday that you can start out with.

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea it's friggin' intense. They do 21 reps of the thrusters (the exercise that kind of looks like a clean and press) with 135lbs then 21 pull ups, then 15 of each, then 9 of each.

They have workouts of the day posted on the frontpage Monday through Friday that you can start out with.
haha what if I can barely do 7 pullups at bodyweight...

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
haha what if I can barely do 7 pullups at bodyweight...
You would do as many pullups as possible, rest for a little bit, then continue doing pull ups, repeat until 21 reps is completed for the first round, 15 for the second and 9 the third.