Rippetoe and Shoulders

jdev

Awards
  • Established
if this has been talked about already, i appologize but i searched for it and didn't find it.

Is there anything you can do for middle delts while using the rippetoe scheme?
I am even doing the power cleans instead of pendlay rows, but i don't feel that my middle delts are getting hit enough. They don't seem to be growing much and they are not even the least bit sore the next day or any day.

Thanks

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
How long are you doing Rippetoe's program? Just getting your strength up or are you doing it longterm? Are you doing any other assistance exercises?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
maybe sub a clean for a high pull? Or add upright rows 1 day a week? My middle delts grow fine on just overhead presses and BORs btw.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
I had been doing it for a while and now am just starting back up as I didn't have time to lift weights during the past couple of months. So I would say longterm.

Has anyone tried adding upright rows 1 day a week?

Justin

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Well I haven't done rippetoe but I did some bill starr/glen pendlay variations en added upright rows on wednesdays with good results.
I did squats/bench/bors on Mo and Fr and squats/DL/OHpress/Upright Rows/Pull ups on wednesday.

I have to add that some members of this board think Upright Rows aren't superhealthy for your shoulders apart from being great massbuilders although they never gave me any trouble up to 150 lbs (I use a straight barbell). Do a search on them perhaps.

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
Well I haven't done rippetoe but I did some bill starr/glen pendlay variations en added upright rows on wednesdays with good results.
I did squats/bench/bors on Mo and Fr and squats/DL/OHpress/Upright Rows/Pull ups on wednesday.

I have to add that some members of this board think Upright Rows aren't superhealthy for your shoulders apart from being great massbuilders although they never gave me any trouble up to 150 lbs (I use a straight barbell). Do a search on them perhaps.
Like most exercises, everybody is different. Many people also think behind the neck presses and pulldowns are unhealthy, but it depends on the individual. So you are right, many people that get no pain from upright rows love them. I saw great progress when I first started lifting but have not done them for years because they began to cause me pain.