Help with Stallone Six Day Split Routine?

vinnyl

Awards
Hi, I Would Like To Know If Anyone Can Give Me Some Advice On A Six Day Split Routine I Would Like To Try. I,ve Read This Sylvester Stallone Workout From His Websight While Making Rambo Ii: Monday/wednesday/friday - Morning: Chest, Back. Abs. Afternoon: Shoulders, Arms, Abs. Tuesday/thursday/saturday - Morning: Calves, Thighs. Afternoon: Rear Delts, Traps, Abs. I Would Like To Know What Exercises, Sets And Reps To Do To Make This At All Possible To Do Without Overtraining. Also, Can I Work Rear Delts And Traps A Day After Doing Shoulders And Back. If Anybody Can Advise, Please Do. I Can Sure Use It To Get To The Next Level. I Would Like To Lose About 10 Lbs And Gain Muscle So I Figured That A Good Example Would Be Sly Himself Because Of His Determination And Dedication To Bodybuilding And All The Articles That I've Read. I See What He Did, But It Did Not Have Any Exercises, Sets Or Reps. Thanks Again.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not sure.

Why do you capitalize the first letter of each word?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
The short answer: you can't do it without overtraining...you're going to be cutting calories to lose the weight... If the article is even true (most mags are ****), he was probably on massive amounts of AAS.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Yea your not ment to copy what the big boys do because there routines are for when there on gear.
If you wanna train 6 days a week simply get a standard routine and split the sets up over the week, but dont train to failure on any set because of the frequency, well that might depend on how often your gonna be hitting each bodypart.

What operating system are you using??

vinnyl

Awards
I am doing 5 - 6 days (Mon - Wed - Fri: Chest, shoulders. tris, abs) Tue - Thur - Sat (Legs, back, bis and abs). I have been doing this for about 6 months. Can I/ shoud i change it up? How do I change it up? How often do I change up? I feel that I am not getting where I want to be now. I am 45 and have been working out for a bout 1 year. I started Mon - Wed - Fri and then read a few articles/websights/features on Stallone and went to a six day workout. I feel like maybe I hit a brick wall. I am at the gym every morning at 5am before I go to work because I get my son 3 days a week and every other w/e. I would never be able to get consistency at nights to workout. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I could use a really good 6 day split routine.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm yet to see juice-free success on a six-day split. I really wouldn't recommend giving your body so little time to recover. Perhaps knock it down to a 3 or 4 day split.

Are you lifting with your son? If not, I would think less time spent at the gym would equate to more time you'll be able to spend with your son.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think frequency shouldnt be an issue, just look at HST, you can do HST every day, splitting it upper,lower,upper,lower.
I have heard of people having good success with training a body part every day BUT keeping overall volume the same, for example doing 1 set of biceps every day, maybe with a warmup set 1st.

vinnyl

Awards
Hey Thanks for the advice. No, I don't lift with my son, he is 12 and he is a goalie for travel ice hockey. We are so busy between practices and games till the end of April. It's so fun being with him when I can. So, do you recommend 3 full body workouts(Mon - Wed - Fri) with about 25 min of cardio. Then on Tue - Thur, maybe just all cardio?And, what is HST?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Thanks for the advice. No, I don't lift with my son, he is 12 and he is a goalie for travel ice hockey. We are so busy between practices and games till the end of April. It's so fun being with him when I can. So, do you recommend 3 full body workouts(Mon - Wed - Fri) with about 25 min of cardio. Then on Tue - Thur, maybe just all cardio?And, what is HST?
3 days full body, with cardio in between sounds good. I know how tough it can be sometimes with travel hockey (I used to play left wing).

HST is probably one of the most scientifically supported weight training methodologies there is. Here's a link to their official website.
Hypertrophy-Specific Nutrition™

vinnyl

Awards
I will definately check that out if that is what I need to progress further. You used to play, man your only 21. Keep on playing. My kid lives on skates (inline or ice) he would be on the ice 24/7 if it was up to him. But, it can be a little expensive. But hey thanks again for all the input from you guys. This is a cool websight. If anything lse that you can provide anytime as far as diet and exercise, it would be greatly appareciated.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will definately check that out if that is what I need to progress further. You used to play, man your only 21. Keep on playing. My kid lives on skates (inline or ice) he would be on the ice 24/7 if it was up to him. But, it can be a little expensive. But hey thanks again for all the input from you guys. This is a cool websight. If anything lse that you can provide anytime as far as diet and exercise, it would be greatly appareciated.

I would keep playing, but $$$$, lack of competition, and college kinda got in the way. I'm actually going to be playing on my Dad's Team this weekend; he plays for a men's league team, and they're short a player. 49 years old and still kickin' ass on the ice, I hope I can be like that when I'm his age.

vinnyl

Awards
Well, just keep on kicking a** skating and playing with your Dad's team. That is great that he is still playing hockey at a YOUNG age. I will be that young in 4 more years,so in the meantime I just want to get into "STALONE" shape and play with my older sons' (19) Flag Footbal Team by next season.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I did the six day slpit for a year - it was terrible. Of course I was pretty lean, but I was always exhausted, and I lost a lot of muscle mass. I have to believe the only way to avoid CNS burnout on such a routine is through the use of steroids.

Now I limit each body part to once a week. Of course most get hit indirectly a second or third time from compound movements, but I have time to recover and the results have been good.

When I cut I simply increase cardio time and check my diet. In my opinion that works best.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, just keep on kicking a** skating and playing with your Dad's team. That is great that he is still playing hockey at a YOUNG age. I will be that young in 4 more years,so in the meantime I just want to get into "STALONE" shape and play with my older sons' (19) Flag Footbal Team by next season.
If you can squeeze it out so you're doing weights 3x per week and cardio 3x per week, you'll be in great shape for flag football with time to spare.

Just remember: Cardio is key. If you want to get strong, you've gotta hit the weights. If you want to get 'in shape' you've gotta do your cardio.

vinnyl

Awards
What did your six day split consist of ? If you can remember that would help me out also. I am just getting all kinds of great info from you guys. Thanks...

vinnyl

Awards
So, I should do the cardio on my lifting days, say about 25 min and do all cardio on non lifting days. Another "Q", how about ab exercises. Which ones do you recommend are the best? How many days? How many sets and reps? I feel like a rookie here...

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
If you can squeeze it out so you're doing weights 3x per week and cardio 3x per week, you'll be in great shape for flag football with time to spare.

Just remember: Cardio is key. If you want to get strong, you've gotta hit the weights. If you want to get 'in shape' you've gotta do your cardio.
I use the three day split and love it. It gives me more time for cardio. Men have their highest risk of heart attck between 45 and 60. Cardio is important.

This is my split:

Monday -30 min high intensity cardio
Tues - Back/Hams/abs
Wed -30 min high intensity cardio
Thurs - Chest/Quads/calves/abs
Fri -30 min high intensity cardio
Sat - Shoulders/Arms/abs/20 min cardio (interval training)
Sunday - 45 min morning walk (moderate pace)

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
What did your six day split consist of ? If you can remember that would help me out also. I am just getting all kinds of great info from you guys. Thanks...
My split was done Monday through Saturday

Monday - Chest/Back
Tuesday - Arms/shoulders
Wed - Legs/calves
Thurs - Chest/Back
Fri - Arms/shoulders
Sat- Legs/calves

Not as radical as Stalone's but to much nevertheless.

vinnyl

Awards
Thanks again, I am printing this whole forum out right now to look at and try to come up with what to do best so I don't hit any walls again in the near future...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, I should do the cardio on my lifting days, say about 25 min and do all cardio on non lifting days. Another "Q", how about ab exercises. Which ones do you recommend are the best? How many days? How many sets and reps? I feel like a rookie here...
With HST: 1 work set is needed per exercise. Start out with high reps (say 10-12, but you could start higher if you want) and taper that number down every two weeks (to about 4-6), take a week off, and start up again.

As for abs. Personally, I'm not a fan. I do them ocassionally to give 'em that 'pumped' feeling, but that's about it. Abs are more of a functionality muscle, meaning they're not really going to grow or get your that 6-pack ever man so desires. IMO the best ab exercises are ones that hit them in an indirect manner. Here's some good ones: Goodmornings, Deadlifts, Front Squats*, Clean & Press, Bent Press.

*If you're knees can handle it, try a set of front squats, going all the way down (past parallel). It is by far the best lower abs exercise there is.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I agree to a certain extent...but I've had a lot of people achieve great success just watching diet and lifting a heavy 3 day split. This is what I personally do until I stall, then I throw in the cardio. Of course, there are lots of things I do besides cardio (park at end of lot, use stairs, etc...)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree to a certain extent...but I've had a lot of people achieve great success just watching diet and lifting a heavy 3 day split. This is what I personally do until I stall, then I throw in the cardio. Of course, there are lots of things I do besides cardio (park at end of lot, use stairs, etc...)
By 'in shape' I was leaning towards not only fit-looking, but well conditioned. I agree, cardio does very little towards leaning you out than furthering a calorie deficit, and can be avoided if you diet and phenotype allow (I'm a definite endomorph: Me + No Cardio = FAT!!). However, there is a plethora of health benefits that come from cardio. If he's wanting to get in shape to play flag football with his 19-year-old son, stamina is going to be crucial. He's gonna get winded a lot quicker than his kids, especially if he doesn't have that kind of cardiovascular endurance you get from running regularly.

That is a good point though,

:smite: thesinner