Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back

Buracho

Awards
Just want some opinion, which workout do you guys prefer Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back. Thanx in Advanced.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Why don't you split up your workouts so you don't hit competing muscle groups?

chest/calves
bi/tri
back/shoulders
quads/hams

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
I agree you dont want to hit up completing muscle group.... you might should try chest and biceps
shoulders
back and triceps
legs
chest and biceps
this give you a break in between days...

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I agree with the Chest and Bi's. Here is my current breakdown which has worked quite well for me:

Chest, Bis
Legs
Shoulders, Tris
Back

Gumbo

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
there is no right way or wrong way... there is just the way that suits you.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Well, if you think about it, most chest exercises are already working your triceps. And most back exercises are already working your biceps (becides dealift).

So it makes sense to put these compound groups together on the same day:

Chest, triceps, shoulders,

back, forearms, biceps.

But it depends what you are trying to achieve. Lately, ive been doing chest and shoulders one day, arms another day, and back another day. This is working nice.

dsw222

dsw222

Awards
chest/tri
legs/bi
delts/tri/calves
back/bi
rest
bi/tri/forearms/calves
rest

i'm trying to get my bis and tris to catch up with the rest of me... they always seem to give out before chest/back on compound exercises

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Some people can handle higher frequency, and have a more overlapping split. Some people cannot and need to pair complimentary movements based on bodyparts. As I was trying to say earlier, you have to find what suits you. Some people ADAPT to higher frequency arm work, (be it direct or "indirect") so they can handle an arm day right after a back or pressing day.

I find that I am adapting to higher frequency training, and now can handle volume/intensity/frequency that I couldn't have a few years back.

I'm ramblilng, but in so many words, try a basic split (however you want to decipher that). If you see results, don't change it. When you stop seeing results, tinker around with it.

Sexually yours,
Ubiquitous

hack

Awards
Well, if you think about it, most chest exercises are already working your triceps. And most back exercises are already working your biceps (becides dealift).

So it makes sense to put these compound groups together on the same day:

Chest, triceps, shoulders,

back, forearms, biceps.

But it depends what you are trying to achieve. Lately, ive been doing chest and shoulders one day, arms another day, and back another day. This is working nice.
It does not make sense. If you do chest first, then your tris and shoulders are already fatigued. Why would you want to work a tired muscle?

dsw222

dsw222

Awards
It does not make sense. If you do chest first, then your tris and shoulders are already fatigued. Why would you want to work a tired muscle?
I do a few sets of tris on chest day and again on shoulder day just to sort of burn them out... yeah theyre getting work from doing compound exercises, but i like to isolate and hit them directly

i would never do chest and shoulders on the same workout... i wouldnt be able to get good weight up with both

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
i think devoting 1 day a week to a muscle group is more effective then doing an over lapping split working say tris and bis twice a week. Even though the amount of sets will be higher per week by doing an overlapping split, it is highly likely that your arms are not healed 100%... therefore it would be counter effective shocking that muscle again if it has not recovered fully because you would be losing gains that could have been made off the first workout that week and possibly losing gains by overworking. that was a major run on sentence but **** english

it's all based on personal preference as mentioned already.

git'r'dun

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chest and back makes sense mechanically because it makes a push/pull split, but the volume may be too high depending on your training style. I have used chest/back and chest/bis and each is very useful. Chest/triceps is not as good because the primary movement for each muscle is pushing.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
I do chest + calves and on a seperate day do back + shoulders.

If i do shoulders before chest then they kind of bug me while im doing chest, and if i do them after theyre already kind of fatigued and i can hit them as good as i can when i work them on a non-chest day.

Chuckbob500

Awards
There's no right or wrong just what works for you, I do chest/tris, back/bis,leg/shoulders for a while then switch to chest/back, arms/shoulders,legs/lower back, then switch it up again after I feel like I need a change. If your growing than roll with it and if you don't feel like your getting enough mix it up. I find that I don't grow well on a five day split but I have friends that only train that way and get great results. Each to their own.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I have always preferred chest/back supersetted. As others have said, do what works for you; try out different routines. I like to work opposing muscle groups on the same day (chest/back monday, legs tuesday, shoulders thurs, and bis/tris friday). For me, doing chest/back together makes sense b/c I can concentrate on going full out on my chest (which I feel is lagging behind other muscles). Then on my friday workout I do a couple more chest lifts before hitting arms. I keep the arms on a separate day so I can do a relatively short toned down workout for them b/c they are my fastest growing muscles. Obviously my reasons for going about things this way are very specific to my own goals.

benmuscle

Awards
when you work your chest you have already worked your tris, so if you then try to do your regular tricep exercises you will not be able to push as much (not necessarily a bad thing as the fatigue is a result of use anyway). Leave them for another day you will be able to lift more, however, by working triceps twice a week you might then be overworking them as they are also used for shoulder exercises (and might impede your ability to perform these to the best of your ability).
Personally I do not tend to give my arms a whole workout to themselves because they tend to get used in the process of doing core exercises (eg bench press, lat pull down, military press etc.). If you were to do chest and back on the same day then you will be working two of your most major muscle groups on the same day; I'm not sure what this would mean in terms of how much protein etc you would need to consume for recovery/build? any ideas?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Just want some opinion, which workout do you guys prefer Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back. Thanx in Advanced.
i prefer lifting. i have done splits, full body, movement based, etc. based workouts. i found as long as i ate hard, slept hard, lifted hard i got the results i should have. so i ask you, what do you want?

currently i am training for my first powerlifting meet so its deadlift day, squat day, and bench day with an event day. so yes for bench its chest, shoulders and triceps. after the bench i work on the parts that are the weakest, not to add more volume so they will grow. but to do less on the other parts so i can balance out my weaknesses.

in other words, train your weaknesses so they can catch up to your strong points.