John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Guys,

Ive always thought that barbell press , dumbell press, or arnold press doesnt hit the side delts as effectively as I liked; although, they do a goodjob. Im thinking of adding Wide-grip Upright Rows as my first exercise instead of the standard Military press or Arnold press. The is below research; although I dont know if it went though studies I do know this makes sense. I'll think I'll try the wide grip(wider than shoulder width grip) first in my trainign session tomorrow. This makes sense and think its right on.

Middle man: target your middle delts to increase your upper-body width and look bigger from all sides
Muscle & Fitness, Sept, 2004 by Jim Stoppani

WIDER IS BETTER. This belief is shared by proponents of ultra-wide band technology, the Pontiac Grand Prix automobile and MUSCLE & FITNESS. Yet our belief has nothing to do with electronics or automobiles and everything to do with shoulder width. While your skeletal frame determines a good portion of your shoulder width, it can be dramatically enhanced by developing big deltoid caps that protrude several inches from the sides of your shoulders. And to create those coveted cannonball caps, you need to develop the middle head of the deltoids. Lateral raises are a good option, but they limit the amount of weight you can use and therefore the stress you can place on those middle delts. Choose which mass-builder below best attacks the middle heads with a heavy load that's targeted for them.

RELATED ARTICLE: BARBELL PRESS

Advertisement

The barbell press to the front tends to push the elbows in front of the body. This creates a movement that involves both the anterior (front) deltold and the middle deltold. The greater weight that can be used does make it a great mass builder, but this move is not the most effective isolator of the middle deltoid. MISS

RELATED ARTICLE: WIDE-GRIP UPRIGHT ROW

The wide-grip upright row (with hands placed wider than shoulder width) creates a movement of the upper arm that is known as abduction. But forget the kinesiology lingo and just remember that this also creates the best tension and muscle mass on the middle deltold. BULLSEYE

BY JIM STOPPANI, PHD

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I do these as my second exercise on my DC program with wrist straps in the Smith. Try your set to failure, catch your breath (5 seconds) and hit 3-5 more. I go for around 12 on my last set + the extras.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Lateral raises do have a limited amount of weight you can use because of impingment issues when you raise above 70degrees, and below 45 degrees you are raising the dumbbell diagonaly instead of vertically. With upright rows your shoulders are very internally rotated, Im not aware of the mechanics, but with wide grip and arms 90degrees to the body it still feels like its hitting the internal rotators a lot.

Lateral delts are my favorite muscle to excercise because I want them huge so I did some research and it seems the wrist rotation plays a roll in wich rotator cuffs get hit on abduction.

To hit the lateral delt best I found a study wich shows lying side laterals palms facing down with abduction to only 45degrees(should not be any risk of impingment with heavy weight) proved better then glass laterals.

Last edited:
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lateral raises do have a limited amount of weight you can use because of impingment issues when you raise above 50degrees, and below 45 degrees you are raising the dumbbell diagonaly instead of vertically. With upright rows your shoulders are very internally rotated, Im not aware of the mechanics, but with wide grip and arms 90degrees to the body it still feels like its hitting the internal rotators a lot.

Lateral delts are my favorite muscle to excercise because I want them huge so I did some research and it seems the wrist rotation plays a roll in wich rotator cuffs get hit on abduction.

To hit the lateral delt best I found a study wich shows lying side laterals palms facing down with abduction to only 45degrees(should not be any risk of impingment with heavy weight) proved better then glass laterals.
Thanks for the information> I ve been doing these to bring up my right rear delt. I have a Dumbell under my bed.and do these a few times a day. Arnold advised them in his ENCLYOPEDIA.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You must be thinking of the side lateral raise where you do it across your chest, I dont find these hit my rear delt much, I prefere bent over rear delt rows.

The side lateral raise I am talking about starts off with resting the dumbbell on the side of your thigh.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/59165-glass-laterals-vs.html
Thats my thread on it.

Sorry it was 70degrees not 50 degrees for risk of impingment.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Finished my Training sesson. Did Widegrip uproght rows (grip farther than shoulder width) I felt my whole shoulder girtle. Like the bones and stuff that doesnt normally get worked. Only went up to fifteen lbs on each side and used wraps. Ill be doing this more fequently and have added them into my routine. You can see my progress on My quest for a sixpack located in Pics section. A few months from now if I remember Ill post whether I think these have made a dramatic difference in my medial deltoids.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Like the bones and stuff that doesnt normally get worked.
Are you talking about the bit at the top of the shoulder inbetween the anterior and lateral delt?
I feel it too also when I do the side lateral raise across the chest.

It baffles me because its not the delts and its not the internal rotator cuff, I think its a muscle called the subclavius or coracobrachialis.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dude I feel so many bones, tendons, Legaments and just things that Dont normally get worked , get worked when I do Upright Barbell rows with a wider than shoulder width grip. To answer you question Dont know if its that area but its probally hitiing what your talkign about along with the whole upper shoulder girtle.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I just read the problem with upright rows isnt the width of the grip but the fact your arm is internally rotated so much while abducting your arms.
If you wanna really hit your lateral delt try this.
Lie on your side with your hips and knees bent 90 degrees, supporting your head with your free hand, hold a dumbbell behind your back palms down with your elbow slightly bent and abduct your arm up to 45-60 degrees.

Ironicly, I got the idea for starting off behind the back from Jay Cutler(he does this with cables) who also does seated wide grip upright rows.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did Wide grip Upright rows. had some slight shoulder pain, in the Ac joint/Acromion area along with some Ligaments , tendons , and muscle that I dont feel with pressing movements. I feel some of these with various forms of lateral raises; however, nothing works this area any more than Wide Grip Upright rows, wider than shoulder width grip. I plan to KEEP doing these into my routine. I think my body will get used to them. Of course be safe and if you think the weight has to be lower , for the sake of an injury, then that'll be the case.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Lateral raises are a good option, but they limit the amount of weight you can use and therefore the stress you can place on those middle delts. Choose which mass-builder below best attacks the middle heads with a heavy load that's targeted for them.
I agree that the weight is limited on lateral raises, but the weight is also further from the axis or rotation. So from a physics standpoint, the muscle tension is still very high. In other words, the further your hands are from your body, the less weight you could use and still create maximal tension.

Just nit-picking, wide upright rows are a good exercise.