What are the top 5 most underrated exercises?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They can be weight training or cardio.

Here's mine:
1. Jumping Jacks/Jumping Rope
2. Good Mornings
3. Deadlifts
4. Lunges
5. Pullovers

D

dnegel

Awards
1. GHRs
2. Good Mornings
3. pjr DB pullover
4. tate press
5. Squat (most know its the best but i still see so many people that do not squat)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
gotta agree with jumping rope.

others include:
swimming
front squats
hack squats
ab wheel

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Walking Lunges
Front Squats
Overhead Extensions w/ campered bar
Cleans
Step-Ups (this is the least used movement for building hip power)

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Lying side laterals
Decline tricep extension
reverse crunch/vkr
pull ups
safety squats

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Deadlifts
Squats
Lunges
Incline Dumbell press
Hip exercises(Patty C a dance teacher showed me them)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. GHRs
2. Good Mornings
3. pjr DB pullover
4. tate press
5. Squat (most know its the best but i still see so many people that do not squat)
GHRs and tate press? Those are so underrated, I've never even heard of them.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Weighted Dips
Good Mornings
Hack Squat
Lunges
Decline Bench...

I

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Walking Lunges
Good mornings
GHRs
front squats
clean and press

D

Discodogg

Awards
1. Straight Leg Dead Lifts
2. Zercher Squats
3. Front Squats
4. Dead Lifts
5. Heavy Calf Raises (you know who you are... the guy's doing sets of 25 calf raises with 90lbs and whining about not gaining any size) :think:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
1) Full Rep Clean and Press
2) Full Rep Dead Lifts
3) Incline Bench Press
4) Walking Lunges
5) Jumping Rope

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Definitely deadlifts
Any kind of rear delt exercises, those are so good for preventing rotator cuff injuries.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The gym was closed yesterday, so my training partner and I weren't able to do our regular cardio day.

I get a call from him, asking what he should do to as replacement. I bet him he couldn't do jumping jacks for a straight 30 minutes (keep in mind this is a guy who runs 6-7 miles HIIT on a treadmill). I should've bet money.

livebono

livebono

Awards
1)Squats
2)Rear delt excersises (I agree with CRUNCH, having had injuries)
3)Deadlifts
4)Dumbbell Rows
5)Cardio in general (What's the sense in having muscle if it's covered in fat?)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
2)Rear delt excersises (I agree with CRUNCH, having had injuries)
I agree with crunch, not having had injuries, but having seen people do some really ugly back & bi poses. :smite:

D

dnegel

Awards
GHRs and tate press? Those are so underrated, I've never even heard of them.
GHRs are probably the best hamstring exercise, they are pretty hard though most people cant do very many.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Are you talking about locking out at the top?
No, I mean literally dead lifting the bar everytime. A full rep dead lift is going down, lifting the bar, lowering it to the floor and then returning to a standing/starting position, then repeating. Most people I see go down once to lift and then never let go of the bar. That gives you some bounce at the bottom of each subsequent eccentric and you're not really deadlifting the bar even if it touches the floor. Doing full rep dead lifts is very, very taxing. Noticably more so than only dead lifting once at the beginning.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I mean literally dead lifting the bar everytime. A full rep dead lift is going down, lifting the bar, lowering it to the floor and then returning to a standing/starting position, then repeating. Most people I see go down once to lift and then never let go of the bar. That gives you some bounce at the bottom of each subsequent eccentric and you're not really deadlifting the bar even if it touches the floor. Doing full rep dead lifts is very, very taxing. Noticably more so than only dead lifting once at the beginning.
Wow, I never knew that. Bringing it down until the plates barely touch the floor seems to be a common practice. Interesting.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I never knew that. Bringing it down until the plates barely touch the floor seems to be a common practice. Interesting.
Yup, and it isn't the 'right' way strictly speaking. Full rep deads kick your ass. Same for the clean and press. Some people clean the bar once and then do presses for however many reps, then return the bar to the floor. Clean, press, return, stand, clean, press, return, stand, etc., is the correct way to do it. It's another one that kicks your ass when you do it right, full rep.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GHRs are probably the best hamstring exercise, they are pretty hard though most people cant do very many.

Oh, Glute/ham raises. Those do kick ***, if only more gyms carried the equipment to do them (for instance MY gym).

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
squat rack curls
half squats
half bench press
swinging lateral raises
smith maching squats

Oh UNDERrated exercises... Well using my gym as my example...

Full, ATG squts
deadlift
goodmornings
standing barbell sholder press
Barbell rows

I seem to be the only person who does any of these exercises.

C

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
Snatch
Walking Lunges
Rotational Core Work
Lying side and rear delt raises
Power Clean & Push Press (for 10+ reps)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean by this? When I hear the words "Core Work" I automatically associate Yoga Balls and the "Overrated."
I love those stability balls for some of my clients. By getting off balance you hit those muscles involved in proprioception, very important for athletes of any kind.

JC Santana has put out some good stuff about training on those.

Those things can make you sore as hell the first couple times you use them for some exercises too.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love those stability balls for some of my clients. By getting off balance you hit those muscles involved in proprioception, very important for athletes of any kind.

JC Santana has put out some good stuff about training on those.

Those things can make you sore as hell the first couple times you use them for some exercises too.
I'll agree that they have their place (expecially in athletics), but I'm sure you'll agree that there are schools of thought that put waaaaaaay too much emphasis on them than they need to be.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I'll agree that they have their place (expecially in athletics), but I'm sure you'll agree that there are schools of thought that put waaaaaaay too much emphasis on them than they need to be.
You're right. There are a few out there that believe it's the ONLY way to train and that's not true. I think they should be used to enhance a sound strength training program.

T

ttwarrior1

Awards
1 side lateral
2. standing cable rear delt fly
3. machine pullover
4 one arm cable curl
5. Leg extensions

M

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
for cardio... i say squat thrusts......my god....it used to be a part of our physical ed. in elementary school up in new york...they still haunt my dreams till this very day :) but now that im more health consious...i can understand that those are very aerobic exercise.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
for cardio... i say squat thrusts......my god....it used to be a part of our physical ed. in elementary school up in new york...they still haunt my dreams till this very day :) but now that im more health consious...i can understand that those are very aerobic exercise.
I remember those, same situation too. Elementary school through high school though. They were murder.

M

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I remember those, same situation too. Elementary school through high school though. They were murder.
yeah..now i know why the armed forces make the recruites do them when they get in trouble...lol

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try Jumping rope for 2 minutes then do 10 squat thrusts and repeat.

X

xjae

Awards
List in no particular order...
1) Deadlifts
2) Spider Curls
3) Dumbell Pullover
4) Chins (I see people loving wide grip lat pulldowns)
5) ATG squats (very very underrated..I know people online say they do it but I know most don't)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Not in any order

Front squat
glass laterals (not GREAT for mass, but MUCH better than normal ones)
Decline CG bench
Arm blaster curls
Incline bench rear delt flys

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not in any order

Front squat
glass laterals (not GREAT for mass, but MUCH better than normal ones)
Decline CG bench
Arm blaster curls
Incline bench rear delt flys
How are glass laterals done?

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think there overrated, you do them like you do standing side laterals but as you bring the weight up you internally rotate your wrists so by the end of the movement your thumbs point down and knuckles face forward. This is actually the proper way to do standing side laterals, and I find my shoulder didnt click as much when I did it this way.

V

vision

no particualr order:

Pullups (weighted if you can)
Weighted Dips
Clean and Press
Front Squats
Jump Rope

X

xjae

Awards
Not to mention I haven't seen one person doing side laterals correctly. Most let their front delts take over.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I already listed some in here but Heres an updated list

Deadlifts(My Fav
Barbell Lunges(havnt done these in a long time)
Front or Zercher Squat
Reverse Hack squat(Similar to working the same muscles as front or Zercher)
ATG Squat(havnt doone these in a while, weight is less then parrall but its worth it, you know your doing these right when people are commenting in the gym that your going "too low", =), lol)