Hi, my name is Drivehard, and I am a chronic overtrainer...

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
ARGH! This is so frustrating. I can't seem to keep myself from overtraining. I think I am killing my progress...and maybe even hurting myself.

I go to the gym about 4 times per week. I try to randomize my order both on a daily and weekly basis. If I have a good day, I feel great and do way too many sets and reps until I feel totally destroyed. The next week when its time to hit that body part again, I can't do much and I usually have some mild pain involved. This lasts for up to two weeks...until I have a good day again and hit it hard again...and restart the cycle. I have even hit a body part so hard that it effects everything else I do the rest of the week (this week it was squats).

I don't know what it is, but when I am having a good strong day, I just can't leave the gym. It feels so good to get that huge pump and really beat the living hell out of my body. It usually gives me a high that lasts a couple days.

Am I hurting my progress...I am betting yes. Am I hurting myself...again, I am betting yes. What can I do to curb this feast/famine in the weight room? Am I the only one who runs into this problem? I'm not a newbie to the gym. I have been working out for almost 14 years now. Had this problem for pretty much the last several years.

Thanks for listening!

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Just remind yourself not to overdue it when your at the gym. I know its hard but you must correct this habit. Try keeding a log and before you go to the gym write out all the exersizes and stick to them and dont do anymore!!! no matter how good it feels. Also try going to the gym with one of your buddies so maybe they'll hold ya back a little.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
how about writing out a routine with the # of sets/reps and sticking to it for a few weeks before going random at the gym.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
One thing that I do is prepare what I am going to lift ahead of time. I have a little spreadsheet that I print out, and I'll mark down the lifts I do. Once I've filled in the whole workout, I'm done. It works sort of like a checklist, once everythings checked off, there's really nothing left to do except go home. If I'm not totally feeling the pump, oh well, the pump isn't what makes you grow anyhow.

Maybe try printing out a copy of your workouts before you hit the weights. Not only will it help you say when to stop, but it works wonders for logistics.