deplete slow twitch muscle fibers

ms84

Banned
Awards
in the new MD mag a research by MuscleTech(sorry) said that if u deplete your energy stores for slow twitch fibers and fast that night, morning workout next day will incorporate more fast twitch fibers, which grow bigger/faster. anyone have heard of this before?? or tried it??

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Grow bigger overnight? Riiiight.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Sounds a little dopey to me, like a 'study' they did or cherry picked to support one of their products. Got a possible link or reference the the work? I mean no matter what you do or do not do to deplete your slow twitch fibers, if you're not recruiting a lot of type II fibers for enough time for any given muscle as you work it out you're not using enough weight to begin with it would seem to me.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
The way to include most fast twitch muscle fibers is to alternate between 10 reps and 4 reps, 10 reps being best to induce growth, and 4 reps teaching your muscle to recruit as many fibers at once as possible, this is why powerlifters are so strong, because they can recruit more muscle fibers at once than bodybuilders, I think the average is only 50% recruitment. This is also why lower rep ranges is best for strength.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The way to include most fast twitch muscle fibers is to alternate between 10 reps and 4 reps, 10 reps being best to induce growth, and 4 reps teaching your muscle to recruit as many fibers at once as possible, this is why powerlifters are so strong, because they can recruit more muscle fibers at once than bodybuilders, I think the average is only 50% recruitment. This is also why lower rep ranges is best for strength.
The way to include the most muscle fibers of any type is to use the highest load possible. It's got nothing to do with reps.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
True, so you could do 1 rep sets with max load, but it seems 4 reps is what everyone is doing for strength, are you sure the reps doesnt play a part? because I think the nervous system plays a big roll in it aswell, I cant think of any other possible reason why people would do 4 rep sets instead of 1 rep sets.

ms84

Banned
Awards
thanks guys. just wanted some good feedback, always like to have more knowlegable peoples input.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
True, so you could do 1 rep sets with max load, but it seems 4 reps is what everyone is doing for strength, are you sure the reps doesnt play a part? because I think the nervous system plays a big roll in it aswell, I cant think of any other possible reason why people would do 4 rep sets instead of 1 rep sets.
Simply recruiting muscle fibers and training your nervous system for strength aren't the same thing. Your body will adapt to whatever conditions you expose it to. There's nothing magical about 4 reps and 10 reps unless you want to train for strength/endurance in the rep ranges of 4 and 10.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Conditioning yourself to utilize more fibers efficiently is more a nervous system issue. It happens through practice, for lack of a better word. Doing a set of 10 before a lower rep set won't make a difference.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
...Doing a set of 10 before a lower rep set won't make a difference.
BUT doing a set of your 1-2 rep max BEFORE doing a higher rep set WILL make a difference. (i.e. you will be able to lift more weight for that higher rep set than you would have been able to otherwise)

marso70

marso70

Awards
CDB is correct muscle fibers recruit in an all or nothing principle and is soley dependant on load, they recruit and fatigue in a smallest to largest fashion, so as long as the load is sufficient and the TUL ( Time under load), you will do everything possible to recruit all the available fibers for growth.. How many you recruit rep is dependant on neurological effeciency.