Beginning of day or End?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What time is the ideal for the body to train as we do? Putting all convienence aside are there any scientific evidence or studies showing the body is stronger during the ending of your "day" or upon waking?

I work out at the end of my day which is around 5am, I used to workout right after my first meal and i was under the theory that you get to feed you muscle the rest of the day this way. Working out at the end tells me logically speaking that your body is fueled already and that you go to sleep soon after allowing for a recovery state sooner.

Im curious if anyone has heard or read anything on this and also everyone's logic on the subject.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Your test levels are highest in the morning. Also, I think it would be best if you have more meals after your workout to recover.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Best time is when you have it simple as that.

SXULB52

Awards
I have not found any studies yet but my theory goes along with spatch. I feel that since test levels are highest in the morning, assuming you sleep at night and not during the day which would effect your circadian rhythm, morning is a hormonally optimal time to lift. I also feel that a meal high in protein and complex carbs first thing in the morning and then waiting an hour to train is best. My stomach gets funny if I eat and then lift right after so waiting works well for me. Also this meal fuels your body and workout so you are not catabolic right off the bat with your workout. Then you finish your workout and have all day to feed your body, instead of at night only having a meal or two and then going for hours without feeding during sleep. Morning training also helps me set my day off right and really helps me sleep at night. Just my opinion though.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have not found any studies yet but my theory goes along with spatch. I feel that since test levels are highest in the morning, assuming you sleep at night and not during the day which would effect your circadian rhythm, morning is a hormonally optimal time to lift. I also feel that a meal high in protein and complex carbs first thing in the morning and then waiting an hour to train is best. My stomach gets funny if I eat and then lift right after so waiting works well for me. Also this meal fuels your body and workout so you are not catabolic right off the bat with your workout. Then you finish your workout and have all day to feed your body, instead of at night only having a meal or two and then going for hours without feeding during sleep. Morning training also helps me set my day off right and really helps me sleep at night. Just my opinion though.
Hey! thanks for hitting this thread. Makes alot of sense to me. For the past 3-5 months i have been training @ 5am, eating one meal, and then sleeping. I have seen less results than b4 when i used to train at the start of the day.

Here is my problem tho, I wake up around 1-3pm due to graveyard shift. Ok and by the time i eat a meal, let it digest, and go to the gym, it is the busiest time and i just cant stand it! I hate when the gym is packed, people staring, waiting for equipment, and its just harder for me to focus.

I would like to know more about the "circadian rhythm", how does this change when one is pretty much nocturnal?

SXULB52

Awards
Pistonpump, the circadian rhythm is the natural body clock that your body goes through in regards waking and sleeping. Growth hormones and testosterone are released at night, along with many other hormones such as increase in melatonin, decrease in ADH, etc. Melatonin is released in response to the body clock telling you it is bed time, and fromt he actual darkness of the night. When working graveyard shift you throw off your body clock at first, but then it adjusts itself and resets itself, so your 1-3PM is most peoples 6-7AM. That is why jet lag happens, your clock is off and needs time to adjust. There have been some studies done regarding this, mostly sensory deprivation of light or hyperexposure to light on hormone release and quality of sleep. As far as your schedule goes, I prefer either eggs or a whey shake in the morning, along with oatmeal and creamed honey. It is the easiest on my stomach and fuels me and keeps me full, I get sick if my stomach is empty too long. If I were your, i would wake up and hour or two prior to your normal waking time and eat this meal and then go back to bed and wake up at your normal time and then go to the gym, it is very simple and only takes 1 hour till I am fine to squat even. I do this alot because I have a strange schedule. I have conditioning in the morning at 6AM for an hour and cannot eat before because I will be sick. When I get back to my room around 7:15AM I eat this meal and check emails etc and then walk to the gym around 8-8:15AM and begin my workout by 8:30AM. Then I have a shake and some carbs afterwards, I have been experimenting with simple and complex carbs, I think I like complex better with some fruit. Then 45 minutes after the shake I eat another whole food meal then I am back on schedule. Let me know if you want my post workout meal, its pretty good.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Best time is when you have it simple as that.
Going to quote myself here:D Honestly fella's it makes such a small difference if any I wouldn't give it a second thought.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pistonpump, the circadian rhythm is the natural body clock that your body goes through in regards waking and sleeping. Growth hormones and testosterone are released at night, along with many other hormones such as increase in melatonin, decrease in ADH, etc. Melatonin is released in response to the body clock telling you it is bed time, and fromt he actual darkness of the night. When working graveyard shift you throw off your body clock at first, but then it adjusts itself and resets itself, so your 1-3PM is most peoples 6-7AM. That is why jet lag happens, your clock is off and needs time to adjust. There have been some studies done regarding this, mostly sensory deprivation of light or hyperexposure to light on hormone release and quality of sleep. As far as your schedule goes, I prefer either eggs or a whey shake in the morning, along with oatmeal and creamed honey. It is the easiest on my stomach and fuels me and keeps me full, I get sick if my stomach is empty too long. If I were your, i would wake up and hour or two prior to your normal waking time and eat this meal and then go back to bed and wake up at your normal time and then go to the gym, it is very simple and only takes 1 hour till I am fine to squat even. I do this alot because I have a strange schedule. I have conditioning in the morning at 6AM for an hour and cannot eat before because I will be sick. When I get back to my room around 7:15AM I eat this meal and check emails etc and then walk to the gym around 8-8:15AM and begin my workout by 8:30AM. Then I have a shake and some carbs afterwards, I have been experimenting with simple and complex carbs, I think I like complex better with some fruit. Then 45 minutes after the shake I eat another whole food meal then I am back on schedule. Let me know if you want my post workout meal, its pretty good.
thanks for the breakdown. well, you mind as well tell me that powo meal...

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
testosterone spikes at about 4am but I have seen a graph that says 8am, also I have heard that after a workout your insulin is high and your body stores nutrients better because of this, so I would say working out between 4am-9am and having the biggest meal of the day within an hour after your workout, Also you should hydrate your self before working out.

Last edited:

SXULB52

Awards
My post workout meal usually is 50 g whey isolate in water and 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt, 1/2 cup oats dry, 1.5 cups frozen fruit, and 2 tbsp honey. Put the yogurt mixture in the fridge at night and by the next day the fruit is thawed and ready to eat. It fills me up and I don't get an energy crash after my workout either. Good luck with the workouts bro graveyard shift sucks.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
testosterone spikes at about 4am but I have seen a graph that says 8am, also I have heard that after a workout your insulin is high and your body stores nutrients better because of this, so I would say working out between 4am-9am and having the biggest meal of the day within an hour after your workout, Also you should hydrate your self before working out.
You mean insulin sensitivity is high. I've read your other posts and suspect that's what you meant. Just clearing it up for the newbies!