Chest tear or what? HELP

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
Hey all, today was a chest/tri day for me and I do a heavy pyramid on the flat barbell bench press as my first exercise. After my first set(a new pr for me), my chest felt as though it had LITERALLY RIPPED APART! It was extremely painful, but I continued with another set because I had gotten the same pain last week(but last week it wasnt as painful, but I was doing less weight). I did another set and the pain was unbearable. I carried on and tried another set but after 1 rep the pain was so extreme that I couldn't handle it and I ended my workout there. I am still in alot of pain as I type this. It's just that my chest feels like it has torn apart. What should I do? I don't think it's an actually serious chest tear because I could actually do more sets, but I'm not sure. I need some help!

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
What are the symptoms of a pectoralis major muscle rupture?

Patients who experience a pectoralis major rupture feel sudden pain, and often a tearing sensation in their chest. Symptoms include:

• Pain in the chest and upper arm
  • Weakness in pushing the arms out in front of the body
  • Bruising in the chest and arm
  • A dimpling, or pocket, formed just above the arm pit where the rupture occurred
Source & more information at: Pectoralis Major Muscle Rupture

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
People usually describe a pec tearing as sounding like a wet rag being ripped appart.

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
During my lifts I didnt here any "tearing" sound, although i did hear an unusually popping sound from my shoulders, could this be it? As of now, there is no difference in external appearance. I'll post back tomorrow.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Last night I was trying to push 385 on decline and I felt my outer pec tearing (felt like when you tear paper slowly), I did a few reps and then it moved to my arm pit. I stop there, I was able to do all of my other workout with little pain. I am not sure if mine was as severe as yours, it did scare me a bit though. Taking a week off from Benching I think.

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
This is what bothers and bewilders me: I wasn't using much weight at all, my first set started with 255x6 and my second set was 265x5(these are not max lifts either) After this set the pain was unbearable and I ended my w/o. And also the fact that last week I did 255x5 as the second set and the rest of my pyramid(which goes all the way up to 1 heavy rep). Although I did get the same pain last week, it wasn't as bad as last night and I was able to push through. Why am I starting to get this horrible pain now? Its not like I am maxing out, or doing anything much heavier than usual? Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have any ideas(or a link to) for good recovery excersises? Today, the pain is still bad but not as bad as last night, so atleast I have that. What should I do now?

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
This is what bothers and bewilders me: I wasn't using much weight at all, my first set started with 255x6 and my second set was 265x5(these are not max lifts either) After this set the pain was unbearable and I ended my w/o. And also the fact that last week I did 255x5 as the second set and the rest of my pyramid(which goes all the way up to 1 heavy rep). Although I did get the same pain last week, it wasn't as bad as last night and I was able to push through. Why am I starting to get this horrible pain now? Its not like I am maxing out, or doing anything much heavier than usual? Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have any ideas(or a link to) for good recovery excersises? Today, the pain is still bad but not as bad as last night, so atleast I have that. What should I do now?
Go see your doctor lad. If it is ruptured you need surgery, it could be a little tear or strain as I think mine is. I went to far out on a fly and think that is where my troubles began.

kiss55

Awards
Ive been searching this subject for about a week now, we have been testing in football for our core lifts and I went to max on bench and got what I wanted. However, my left pec is sore. I ignored it and maxed out again for football a week later and it hurt again. I don't think I have torn the tendon bc I still got 445, I do not know much about minor injuries and most searches show up with complete detachment of the tendon....

quigley

Awards
  • Established
these are probably overuse injuries, possibly tendonitis. Either way the smart way to go about it is getting it checked out at a physio

kiss55

Awards
I talked to my strength coach and he said it is possibly a strained AC something? It's shoulder related?

quigley

Awards
  • Established
i dont see why it would be. Your chest connects to your humerus, below the shoulder joint. If you tore your AC youd feel pain lifting your shoulder and moving it around. U'd know if it was a shoulder tear. Your coach is spitting out the most common injury which comes to mind, but its not your AC. Physio mate. Trust a physio =)

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
hey you guys. It's me again. I haven't posted back since my last post on Jan. 9th because on January 16th I felt a little better and tried to max out. I completely tore my right pectoralis major at the muscle-tendon junction. Life has been rough ever since and I haven't been able to post back. I got surgery 4 weeks later, been through 3 months of physical therapy and just a week ago I have started training again. Lost 3in. off my arms, 30lbs of muscle(and have actually put on fat), and almost all of my strength. I just read over my first couple posts and now I can't believe why I ever tried maxing out. Doc says I'll probably never be able to lift what I used to(bench press).
I just want to remind everyone to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!! I made that mistake and it cost me dearly. At the time I couldn't give up even two weeks in order to recover fully, and now I would give up anything for the chance to go back.