• Established
Back.

A) because I find they work the back much better than legs and
B) My spine wouldn't like doing squats/fs's and deads in the same workout

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
With back usually, but if I miss it that day, I'll do them with legs.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
No DL's for me unfortunately due to lower back injury. That's probably why I always get the non-masculine side of the spoon position.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
with legs

but that was when my workouts revolved around powerlifting...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
how about both?

I usually do conventional deadlifts or rack pulls on back days, and sometimes like to incorporate stiff-legged deadlifts on leg days.

fil3113

Awards
the thought of deadlifting and squatting in the same day is almost frightening to me... I don't think I could do it, at least not heavy

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If theres enough fuel in the tank after squats or deads to do the other then I wasnt serious about lifting that day!:dl:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If theres enough fuel in the tank after squats or deads to do the other then I wasnt serious about lifting that day!:dl:

I wanted to give you points for that excellent quote, but I need to spread the love before I can give you any more.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
what about starting strength?

this program has squats every day(3 times a week) and deads with squats....

But this is a program for lifters with 0-24 months experience.

When i was on this program, my legs would die on the deads( I did squats first)...........

Now i separate the two.

My 2 cents.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Deads/Rack Pulls on Back Day.

RDL's/SLDL's on Leg day

gymrat5713

gymrat5713

Awards
I do stiff leg deadlifts on leg day and try to concentrate on just my hams. I just feel like I get a better leg workout overall w/ that exercise. But when I think about it, it does make more sense to do deadlifts on back day. It's just how I do though

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
SLDL on leg day. Rack pulls on back day. I just started doing rack pulls again the other day and I love them. Finish heavy with them. For those of you who do them, do you flex your back before you pull?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SLDL on leg day. Rack pulls on back day. I just started doing rack pulls again the other day and I love them. Finish heavy with them. For those of you who do them, do you flex your back before you pull?
For me.. just before any lift... I thighten whatever it is I am utilizing.... If I flex just before.. it does wonders for keeping my form

Adams

cervasa1977

cervasa1977

Controlled Labs Board Rep
Awards
I always do deads with back truely one of not the best for back growth

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

no offense, i dont understand this statement.

If you are saying deads are NOT good for back growth, IMO, you are sadly mistaken.

I absolutely love deads. Done right, they work it all. Calves, hams, back, biceps, ad nausem.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
My interpretation: I always do deads with back, truely one of the best if not the best for back growth. How did I do?

meb019

Banned
Awards
i deadlifted w legs for the longest time and realized two things: (1) squatting and leg pressing only exhausted my muscles to the max, so i wasnt achieving the ideal benefits of deadlifting for my lower back. (2) the added strain of another heavy compound exercise only taxed my legs and i never really experienced much growth size-wise.

for a few weeks i tried supersetting heavy squats with heavy deadlifts. i would do something like, warm-up squat 135 then immediately deadlift 135...up to squatting 405 then deadlifting 315. it only made me nauseous and i didnt get as many reps as i had hoped to.

then i made the decision to deadlift only on back days cause deadlifts primarily target your lower back and also incorporate upper back (my upper back is ALWAYS sore after a good deadlift routine). bearing this in mind, doing deadlifts on leg day then doing back on another day is just overtraining your upper back. needless to say, i can squat a lot more on leg days bc i have more energy and deadlift a helluva lot more on back days for the same reason.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
RDL on back day or sometimes alone if maxing out

SLDL always on Leg or ham day..best hamstrign exercise ..if done right, butt sticking out

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
RDL on back day or sometimes alone if maxing out

SLDL always on Leg or ham day..best hamstrign exercise ..if done right, butt sticking out
I totally agree. Goodmornings are also a great one if you practice 'proper' form (sticking your ass out).

lilman

Awards
i always do legs and lower back together.. so

on my power week i do
deads, then squats

rep range week
1/2 rep deads and squats.

for some odd reason it works best for me this way and i still put up good numbers. everyone has there own way.

Corey165

Corey165

Awards
sumo deadlifts with legs
conventional with back

you bodybuilders should really start doing sumo deadlifts, they will put tons of size on ur glutes and hams, and bring up ur squat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right now Im my Next Eight week routine My goal is to get a 405 Dead. Then Maybe next routine Might try the Sumo Dead. Anything to bring my squat up. Ive tryed this before and use a lot less weight than the RDL. and yeah it is felt in the hip area, it stretches it, makes it sore.

moflika

Awards
I used to do them right after squats, but now that I have them on their own day (on a ab/cardio day...so much for the rest day :/ ) I can push it much harder. Before my legs would always shake like mad.

mss07

Awards
there is no way i can mustard up the strength to do them on leg day

AM07

Awards
  • Established
What is the difference between a rack pull and conventional deadlift? It seems like the conventional deadlift is better because you're also using legs, where as with the rack pull, you're only completing 1/2 the ROM as a conventional deadlift because you're only using the back.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you answered your own question.

I did Deads today along with Calves. was going to do them with shoulders but used caution.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Straight leg deads lifts on leg day.... Rack pulls on back day...

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I do them on "lift heavy stuff day". I will usually not deadlift and squat in the same workout, however.

I also think its kind've strange that more than a couple people feel them most in their lower back. Glutes/hams can move a lot more weight, with proper form.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Moved from back to leg day. Supersets of ATG squats and rack pulls. Back improving dramatically.