Whats Best for Lagging Arms

EricLee22

Awards
before my first cycle my arms matched my body very well but since then the rest of my body just out ran my arms. dont get me wrong there alot bigger than they used to be but there not porportioned enough for me. any help on this would be great. i already work them twice as hard as the rest of my body.
arms-16"
chest-46"
thighs-25"
calves-15"

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i already work them twice as hard as the rest of my body.
That's the problem right there, most likely. Arms are a small muscle and are tagged in all your push/pull exercises. You have to be careful not to overtrain them.

EricLee22

Awards
honestly im not sure if im over training. cuz my arms are rarely sore even after working them that hard.

EricLee22

Awards
well ok maybe your right bout that but what would u suggest for a routine on arms. like i said ive put three inches on them in a year and a half but the rest of me is out growing

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Put out your entire routine with sets/reps/days on/off and we can go from there.

EricLee22

Awards
MONDAY
chest
light shoulders
TUESDAY
back
light forarms
WEDNESDAY
shoulders
THURSDAY
legs
FRIDAY
arms
light calves

each body part is trained using 3 to 5 different moves with about 3 to 5 sets each. except arms which are lagging. i work them twice as hard. thats about it i swap up from bars to dumbbells every other week. but i try to get different movements in every time i work the different parts.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
That's the problem right there, most likely. Arms are a small muscle and are tagged in all your push/pull exercises. You have to be careful not to overtrain them.
I have a question about this statement. Overtraining is a CNS problem, is it really possible to "overtrain" one muscle? Unless in this particular statement what you really ment was you need to give them more rest, b/c your muscles do need recovery to grow.

The reason why I ask, is that in the gym i'm a person that does mostly compound exercises, maybe 6-8 sets of direct bi work a week AT MOST, yet my bicept aren't really that big. And I do see tons of kids who just curl curl and curl some more but they do have decent sized arms. Why is this, shouldn't they just be burnt out from all the direct arm work they do?

EricLee22

Awards
see i only work my arms once a week. yes they do get hit some on the other days. but thats why i set up my routine the way i did with legs before arms. so i can have a good day of rest for my whole shoulder and arms. then after my arm day i have the whole weekend before they get hit again on chest day

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overtraining is a CNS problem, is it really possible to "overtrain" one muscle? Unless in this particular statement what you really ment was you need to give them more rest, b/c your muscles do need recovery to grow.
I'm sort of confused by your confusion:)
Overtraining is pretty much the lack of rest but at the same time you still couldn't do curls for 24 straight hours and hit them again like that in 5 days. So while rest is very, very important so is the volume of your training. I'm sure someone with the science can jump in and explain the actual mechanics of it I can still say that in my experiences, lack of arm growth is usually due to training too much.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eric, you seem to have a routine built so post it. This way more people can jump in and give their opinion much easier.

EricLee22

Awards
i need some help with using this site is there an easier way to make my routine and keep it under all my post or something like that cuz in really liken this site and all of ya with info to give me.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you have it saved as a file you can either host it to a site and link it or upload it here using the advanced button at the bottom of the reply field or you can copy and paste it and just move it around a bit.

EricLee22

Awards
thanks for the help. ill see what i can do about getting it out there for somemore help.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
When you've got a lagging bodypart, sometimes it helps to back off on muscles that use it as a secondary muscle in order to kick it into gear.

If you arms are lagging, try backing off on chest and back for a month and just pounding your arms with isolation movements.

You could try throwing chest and back into one workout - those muscles are always fun to alternate/superset and makes for a great change up.

Then use the extra day to focus on Tris. On your regular arm day, do bi's & forearms.

BV

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried drop sets ? They worked for me better than anything. You might also want to ease up on your back work since the biceps are involved in those movements as well.

EricLee22

Awards
i think ive got a good mind muscle connection cuz my bis rarely feel nething when i work back and my back is also lagging some.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive heard mixed reviews on this subject. Some say more volume some say less I cant really say which is better lol im confused as well but have been trying more volume recently. I think BigVrunga's advice is solid.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sometimes it's hit or miss. Especially when giving advice over the internet where you don't that person's training habits. Some people have huge arms and get them by primarily their push/pull movements for the other muscle groups.

It depends on a lot of things but BV's advice is a great place to start.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
ive heard mixed reviews on this subject. Some say more volume some say less I cant really say which is better lol im confused as well but have been trying more volume recently. I think BigVrunga's advice is solid.
I think what happens with increased volume is that in momentarly shocks your system and you quickly adapt to that volume, so now you need more volume in your workouts than you did before, to get the same results.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMHO progressive resistance, periodization, and preventing adaptation are keys to progress.

High volume, low volume, heavy weight, light weight, isolation and compounds all have their time and place.

Collecting data is critical to implementing the above. You need to know exactly what, when and how you did in order to plan your goals and plot your progress.

Again...JMHO

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried drop sets ? They worked for me better than anything. You might also want to ease up on your back work since the biceps are involved in those movements as well.
Im doing this right now,.. once a week (sunday). I must say, that normally, I would have to pound my bicepts for what seems like 45min,.. in the end, I have to get a certin number of reps in to really work them.

I suggest doing drop sets.

Do a few warm ups, and then run the rack. Take the weight you can get 5 of, alternate curls, then go down 5 pounds. keep going down (even if you can only know out like 3 reps at a particular weight- No more then 10 seconds if you have to between sets).

Burnout id GREAT for it's shock value!!!

I like running the rack twich. Sometimes I have to drop dfown in 10lb increments depending...

After which (well, for the time being) I grab the 35's and take a seat (incline) and pump out double sets. (do one set of eight reps, put down the weight, rest for 10-15 seconds, and do another set.

About 2-3 double sets and beleive me, after everything, your bicepts will be trashed! :p

-MAke sure you dont have anything you'll need those arms for the next day.
I like to do them Sunday, becasue I do squats on Mon, and bench/Tricepts tuesday.

Do this ONCE a week.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
If your going to do dropsets like that, make sure your not hitting failure on every set.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your going to do dropsets like that, make sure your not hitting failure on every set.
ummmm,...
I AM. :icon_lol:
I can basicly get 6 reps with 55lbs untill I stall.
Then, I break for 10 sec, and do 50lbs x 6 (or until I stall)
Then...
45lbs x ~5
40lbs ~ 4
35 lbs ~4
30lbs ~3

I don't go down in weight until I stall on the set Im at.
Considering I dont seem to stall on the same number every time, I cnat make a set number of reps, and Im on the virge of failure durring the 3rd set (the pumps are too much by the time I reach the 40lb range, and I just cant grab hold the dumbell)

I am currently using the same type routine for shoulders (lateral raises)

Of course, I wouldn't recomend this year round, but for a few weeks, it's a welcome shock.

I dont have a set number of sets and reps when I do this.
And It's only done once per week t oa muscle.

You don't have a set number of sets and reps on target-rep type training either. (do 30 reps with X amount of weights- do as many till failure- rest, do more.. until 30reps has been completed).

Both are good "shock theropy" for stubborn parts (like bicepts, calves... etc)