anybody got a good "big 3" split?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, i want to try and split training up into basically a squat day, deadlift day, & a pressing movements day. trying to really stay on compound exercises as much as possible. do some dips on pressing day, do some rows on deadlift day etc. consider most isolation stuff as like accessory moves. does this make any sense? thanks

cdc1917

Awards
A push/pull/legs would be the way to go.

Heres a solid routine:
Generic Routine by John Pinder - Mightysworld Discussion Forums

Here’s a generic routine that is a good starting point. This is a mass/strength building routine. Probably less volume than you are used too but very effective. Three days per week because that’s all most folks can handle if they are training heavy. They key is near failure or forced/assisted reps. Painful but very effective if you really want to put on size. This does not include warm ups so that is up to you to make sure you are stretched and plenty warm before performing work sets. A work set is defined as a set that you just barely get all reps or need assistance on one or two reps. If you get all the reps fairly easily then it is a warm up and not a work set. Add cardio on the days off to fit your needs. also remeber that overtraining is a real possibility. so from time to time a deload week or two is inevitable.

Monday:
Squats (deep) 2 x 5
Box squats (set below parallel) 2 x 5
Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
posterior core movement 2 x 10-20reps
heavy abs 2 x 20
hips 1 x 20-25 reps
Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

http://www.teamsniffy.com/videos/vid...0x 10 .wmv

Tuesday (wed):
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100) (or dips)
db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps Any rear delt exercise will do here

http://www.teamsniffy.com/videos/videos/raw setup.wmv

Thursday (fri):
Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
2 posterior core movements 2 x 10-20reps
heavy abs 2 x 20reps
rows 2 x 4-8reps
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps

posterior core movements include gm variations, reverse hypers, 45° hypers, glute hame raise, sldl, pull thrus, etc......

http://www.teamsniffy.com/videos/vid...variations.wmv

Every one of these movements is a mass building exercise or an assistance movement to incease the core movements. These are the essential movements for putting on size. Rest and nutrition are just as important as lifting, neglect any one of the three and you will not grow. Juice or no juice all will grow with this routine or a similar one. Consistency is the key. Adding 5 lbs to the bar every other week equals 130lbs/year. Not bad considering many are moving the same weight year in year out. Strength gains are the key to growth, not the other way around.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
thanks cdc1917, just the idea i was looking for. definitely looks to the powerlifting world more than the typical bodybuilding concepts. i just really feel like i'm growing after a good heavy compound session. have a good weekend bro.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
john is an excelent trainer and is very knowledgable when it comes to powerlifting, you stick with that routine and you will deifnately see results. he trains me and i still stick with the same basic format, if you check out his log he basically does the same too

cdc1917

Awards
john is an excelent trainer and is very knowledgable when it comes to powerlifting, you stick with that routine and you will deifnately see results. he trains me and i still stick with the same basic format, if you check out his log he basically does the same too
Yeah, I agree. I followed that routine for 3 months with good results. Check out teamsniffy or mightysworld he is at both of those forums and has trainees keeping journals there. Read through some of them, they are very helpful.