decline bench

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
My chest workout consists of barbell incline bench, barbell flat bench, and fly's. A lot of people are huge and strong and don't do decline bench, but I never really knew why. Should I be doing decline bench?
Stats:
6'2"
190lbs
12ish% bodyfat
goal=gain lean muscle mass and get strong

any advice/suggestions about training my chest is appreciated..thanks guys

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I don't find them very useful, but if your lower pecs are behind they may help. You could also use them for close grip instead of using boards. I wouldn't worry to much about it though.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
thats what i figured, but i didn't wanna assume anything...thanks

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Decline DB press stimulates the most chest muscle fibers out of all the chest workouts, that's what i was always told when I started working out. It's not something I just flat out wouldn't do, i've always done it, and will always do it, I just think it's important to keeping your chest proportioned.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Decline DB press stimulates the most chest muscle fibers out of all the chest workouts,
?? Your going to have to prove that one to me! If you want to know which movement uses the most of the chest conduct this little experiment for me. Go to the gym and grab a couple 15 or 20lb dbs or just the bar. Lay on the incline, flat and decline benches. On each bench slowly lower and raise the weight concentrating on trying to use only the chest, this will give you a feel for how much chest is involved.
Personnally I find declines a waste of time JMHO

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I stopped doing them because of the odd position I was put in and I don't work out with a partner. I tried the dumbell version and flipped over backwards :)

I do dips now :)

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
?? Your going to have to prove that one to me! If you want to know which movement uses the most of the chest conduct this little experiment for me. Go to the gym and grab a couple 15 or 20lb dbs or just the bar. Lay on the incline, flat and decline benches. On each bench slowly lower and raise the weight concentrating on trying to use only the chest, this will give you a feel for how much chest is involved.
Personnally I find declines a waste of time JMHO

I don't have one, that's why i ended it with "that's what I was always told when i started working out" It was on a different board a couple of years ago, the science behind it, was that I guess one of the "respected members" said that dumbbells stimulate more chest fibers than barbell anyways, and that decline stimulated more fibers than incline and flat because you used more stabilizing muscles along with it, and then you put the two together, and you get decline DB as stimulating the most muscle fibers. Don't know if he's right, don't care, I just like doing them, and they work good for me :)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It definately takes more muscle to do declines as I found out the hard way :)
I think i'm going to add some light weight smith machine declines to my chest workout.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Never do decline, never will. Doesnt seem necessary.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I'm in the "I don't do declines" camp. I do however like dips. To each their own. ;)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
It definately takes more muscle to do declines as I found out the hard way :)
I think i'm going to add some light weight smith machine declines to my chest workout.
Noooooo, not the smith! Anyway I think that declines involve your lats a lot more but not chest.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I loves the smith mang :) I use it for a bunch of exercises.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I loves the smith mang :) I use it for a bunch of exercises.
Now I'm beginning to understand the "hate club" lol
I guess I'll forgive ya but just so you know I'm 100% antismith, unless I need a place to hang my towel.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:) Don't tell me there's an addition to the "Club"? haha

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh and it holds my towels too but just an example...

Reverse shrugs

Upright rows (to sternum)

Bent over rows

Military presses Both front and rear(alternate every 3rd week)

Calves raises

Single leg squats

Good Mornings(light weight mostly for stretching)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Nah, I couldn't do that to ya Jay! I'll just feel sad knowing that your playing with smith

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Oh and it holds my towels too but just an example...

Reverse shrugs

Upright rows (to sternum)

Bent over rows

Military presses Both front and rear(alternate every 3rd week)

Calves raises

Single leg squats

Good Mornings(light weight mostly for stretching)
Ouch, I can see Calf raises, Single leg squats and maybe reverse shrugs, but all the rest would be so much more productive with a bar!
I can't picture GM's on a smith, do you step back as your lowering it or do you just stick your arse out?
You should at the very least give Bent Over rows a shot, compound movement like that you lose a lot on the smith.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well in my case I have a bad lower back and need all the help I can get or I would do more with free weights. the good mornings I just stick my butt out more as I go down.

My back issues were taking away my gym days so I had to either find an alternative or just end up crippling myself :)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Gotchya, I'm finding myself in the same boat with legs, I'm stuck on the sucking press until my knee magically heals itself (which I hope will be soon)
Actually I'm just about ready to get an MRI done since I can't run and I sorta have to run