What is an "Upright Row"

xtatic

Awards
im sure i know what the excersize is but i probably call it by a different name or i just cant think of it right now. its been bugging me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A standing row in which you pull a barbell vertically toward your chin.

JMO, but if you don't know what an upright row is, embarking on a cycle may not be wise.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
you hold a barbell in an overhand grip and pull it directly upwards along your body and stop at the sternum. It works your delts/traps primarily.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
aren't front raises basically a lateral raise except to the front? screw it, as long as you know what you're talking about, to hell with proper terminology.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
a front raise.... thanks a lot
No, in a front raise you use an over hand grip and move the weight up and away from the body until your arm(s) are extended horizontally in front of you. The path of the weight makes an arc through space in front of you. The upright row is just what you see in that vid someone posted. Or look at these...

Upright Row
Barbell Upright Row

Front Raise
Barbell Front Raise

xtatic

Awards
No, in a front raise you use an over hand grip and move the weight up and away from the body until your arm(s) are extended horizontally in front of you. The path of the weight makes an arc through space in front of you. The upright row is just what you see in that vid someone posted. Or look at these...

Upright Row
Barbell Upright Row

Front Raise
Barbell Front Raise

OHHHHHH i got you, i usually just do it and dont really have a name for it. i vary it with the smith machine, barbell, annd the cables, thanks a lot.

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established

Upright Row
Barbell Upright Row

Front Raise
Barbell Front Raise
Yep.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
bloody hell, i cant believe i have never thought too use an ez bar. genius
It has one drawback for me. My elbows hit the weights sometimes so I have to hold it further out from my body than I'd like. But otherwise the EZ bar works great on this exercise.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't use EZ bar b/c I have to do 135-185 pound upright rows and it gets in the way of my arms and kills my wrists. I just use the ol' straight olympic bar.

Good Luck though.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
It has one drawback for me. My elbows hit the weights sometimes so I have to hold it further out from my body than I'd like. But otherwise the EZ bar works great on this exercise.

I cant even do them! I could do them when I first started with lighter weights. When I was able to get up to using heavier weight I noticed when I pulled up about half way up the angle my wrist is at makes my left hand dislocate from the socket (YUCK). I tried the EZ curl bar and this still happens. Doesnt hurt just grosses me out.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
They rag on this exercise in my personal training course but i love em, i don't do them close grip though i use around shoulder width and go HEAVY.

charliewat

Awards
I banged the hell out of my elbows using an ez curl bar with 45's on each side. I was under the impression that upright rows were not good for you shoulders?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
when i raise the bar to my chin level, it feels a little 'awkward' in my shoulders like something isn't right. i now bring them to about sternum level and the feeling subsided completely.