5x5 routine is the bomb!

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I started the 5x5 routine about 3 months ago and let me tell ya.... I've put on some decent LBM and also, all my lifts went up as well.... I did do a ergomax cycle a few weeks ago and I think by doing the ergo cycle and adding the 5x5 routine is how I gained 12 lbs and kept it all....PCT was 4 weeks with perfect cycle, rebound xt and retain....Before doing the cycle, I started the routine about a month and a half before and I could already tell something was going on. I do every exercise 5x5 (heavy), with a 1 set 8 rep warm up..... I wonder how long one can do this type of routine before mixing it up again.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Needsize used a version (A BB'er from Canada..used to post on another board) that I usually base my "5x5" type routine on. Kinda goes like this:

Main movement (like Bench for chest...DL's / rows for back, etc) done 5x5.

then pick a couple of other movements by feel and do about 2 x 8-12. Or if you feel like it, maybe one for 3 sets instead.

When your weights plateau out, switch up to 5x3 and keep progressing for appx 2-4 weeks....then go back to 5x5 at the lower weight you plateaued at and you usually get it by then.

Another option is to just switch the movement you're using for the 5x5 completely.

Your right though...this method of progression is great.
Especially with some higher rep movements in there as well.

I may try the original Bill star type routine eventually.

jon1026

jon1026

Awards
I started the 5x5 routine about 3 months ago and let me tell ya.... I've put on some decent LBM and also, all my lifts went up as well.... I did do a ergomax cycle a few weeks ago and I think by doing the ergo cycle and adding the 5x5 routine is how I gained 12 lbs and kept it all....post cycle therapy was 4 weeks with perfect cycle, rebound xt and retain....Before doing the cycle, I started the routine about a month and a half before and I could already tell something was going on. I do every exercise 5x5 (heavy), with a 1 set 8 rep warm up..... I wonder how long one can do this type of routine before mixing it up again.

Never tried the 5x5 routine before. Are you specifically training for strength only with a set/rep scheme like this? How long do you rest between sets and do you keep the weight the same on all 5 sets? This routine sounds like something for me to try out.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can increase weight if you can still get 5 reps with good form. I say it is more size than strength training. but it will get you STRONG!. Its called GVT, German volume training, do some research on it.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Never tried the 5x5 routine before. Are you specifically training for strength only with a set/rep scheme like this? How long do you rest between sets and do you keep the weight the same on all 5 sets? This routine sounds like something for me to try out.
I take about a 60 second rest between sets..... Like pistonpump said, you can increase weight if you can still get 5 reps with good form..... That's how I do it.... I have some 2 1/2 lb plates I add to all my lift exercises each week until I hit my max..... Say if I was benching, I would start of with maybe 100lbs to warm up 1 set x 8-10 reps.... Then I would jump it up to 175lbs x 5, then 200lbs x 5 and then max it out for my next 3 sets.... Let's say my max was 230lbs with good form x 5.... The following week I would "try" to add 5 lbs to my max.... Now it would be 235lbs.... It's been working great. My bench went up about 30lbs in 3 months...... You also have to remember, I'm 41 and by now I thought my lifts would start to stay the same or maybe decrease a little. In my opinion the 5x5 has increased my strength and also added some decent muscle.

jon1026

jon1026

Awards
Iwas wondering also what the duration would be on this type of training? Please list a typical routine you would do with 5x5 scheme.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Good question. If I could add my opinion coming off a 12 week bulk and part of my routine being a 5/3/1 rep scheme for max benching. It really starts to take a toll on your joints and tendons after awhile, after about the 10 week mark, I was ready for a 1 week break, and it really helped a lot. My advice would be to listen to what your body is telling you, if your joints and tendons start to hurt consistently from w/o to w/o, then it's time for a break. Good luck, I've heard a lot of great things with these types of scenarios :)

Iwas wondering also what the duration would be on this type of training? Please list a typical routine you would do with 5x5 scheme.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
This is what I'm doing now.... 4 day split.

Day 1: (chest) Flat bench press, incline bench press, flat dumbbell flys.
Day 2: (arms) Ez-bar curls, Concentrations curls, Close grip flat bench press, triceps extension rope.
Day 3: (shoulders) dumbbell presses, seated bent over side lateral raises, standing front lateral raises.
Day 4: (Back & legs) Lat pull down wide grip, lat pull down rev grip, dumbbell rows.... Squats, calf raises.
Day 5: Rest then repeat.

I'll do these exercises for about 8 weeks, take a week off then start it up again with different exercises...... At least that's my plan.

Just to give you an idea.... I was curling 70lbs 3x8 for months. After changing to the 5x5 for a couple weeks, I've been curling 85lbs.

Front lateral raises, I was working with 25 lbs 3x8 for months, now I'm at 35lbs. This is what's been happening with all my exercises... Now if I start to get burnt out, some weeks I will switch it to:

Monday On
Tuesday On
Wednesday Off
Thursday On
Friday Off
Saturday On
Sunday Off

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you can increase weight if you can still get 5 reps with good form. I say it is more size than strength training. but it will get you STRONG!. Its called GVT, German volume training, do some research on it.
5x5 is not GVT. It looks like it but it's not GVT.
GVT is 10 sets of 10. Although you can do 10 sets of 6 or what ever rep range you like.
GVT is more for size gain. on 5x5 you can gain size and get stronger. you have more chance of overtraining with GVT than with 5x5.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks for clearing that up. tried to rep you but can't. 5x5 is more like Max OT then? seems similair.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks for clearing that up. tried to rep you but can't. 5x5 is more like Max OT then? seems similair.
Not really Max OT is a once per week workout doing few sets and taking all of them to failure regardless of number of rep you can do. With 5x5 you do 5 sets of 5 reps with a given weight (here I'm not talking about Starr's 5x5) the first few sets are not done till failure or are even easy for the realy first one then the two or last set is going to be to failure probably or almost.
Starr's 5x5 is "lighter" that regular 5x5. You do your first set at 60% of your 5rep max, the second at 70% and so on. But it's more complicate than that and can't be described in few lines here.

All these workouts (5x5, Starr's 5x5, GVT) have one thing in common: they are all based on cumulative fatigue.

No worry about Rep. Save it for later ;)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks again my workout guru man. haha

Thats the problem i have been having with 5x5 is that the sets feel too easy and i increase the weight drastically from set to set. I always feel the urge to do more reps too and usually go past 6 reps. I guess I like MaxOT better, since i started trying it out a couple of workouts last week.

I also tried a run with GVT but workouts just take way to long to finish.

Oh btw, I thought MaxOT was getting 6 reps in each set then raising the weight if you get 7reps or dropping weight if you only get 5reps? (Trying to get failure at 6 reps each set.)

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your're welcome!
Yeah Max OT recommend reps between 4 to 6. But what I meant by"regardless of your rep range" was that you should not end your set if you get the high limit of recommended rep range but go to failure.

Personally I prefer 5x5 for strength+ size and GVT for size. It works only for a short period of time though. At least for me.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your're welcome!
Yeah Max OT recommend reps between 4 to 6. But what I meant by"regardless of your rep range" was that you should not end your set if you get the high limit of recommended rep range but go to failure.

Personally I prefer 5x5 for strength+ size and GVT for size. It works only for a short period of time though. At least for me.
Okay thanks for the third time! lol what workout program do you go to when you need a break from 5x5 and GVT, just curious?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually go to failure on the last set of the 5x5 method. i make my own modifications to workout programs sometimes. I have always had the urge to just do "what feels good" at the time habit. wish i didnt tho'

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Low volume, moderate frequency, workout, HST, DC are all good. I like also Glenihan workout (which to me is a variant of DC) very. I like also Dereck's (the beast) workout ( few sets, not to failure two times per week). There are some threads on each of them on this board. You have to find what works best for you and what you like more.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I too enjoy the 5x5 type workouts. I have found that they allow me to gain strength while cuttings, without beating up on my tendons and joints. I use the same weight for all sets, maybe upping the last one if I feel up to it. I have also been known to go to 7 reps on the last set as well, again just if I feel it.

I have also used a 3x3 type workout, but only for 4 weeks at most. With the 5x5, I don't hit a wall with gains that often, but when I do, I just change my rep scheme up for a couple of weeks (Usually I do the first week very low volume and high weight, and the second week I'll do higher volume and lower weights) before going back to the 5x5.

I have also used GVT during my only true bulk of any kind, and do not reccomend it without anabolic support due to how easy it is to overtrain.

With all that said and done... I'm not doing a 5x5 on this cut, but I'll do a writeup of how I'm approaching this one in my own thread.

ManBeast

K

knox

Awards
  • Established
Good question. If I could add my opinion coming off a 12 week bulk and part of my routine being a 5/3/1 rep scheme for max benching. It really starts to take a toll on your joints and tendons after awhile, after about the 10 week mark, I was ready for a 1 week break, and it really helped a lot. My advice would be to listen to what your body is telling you, if your joints and tendons start to hurt consistently from w/o to w/o, then it's time for a break. Good luck, I've heard a lot of great things with these types of scenarios :)
My body would be telling 10weeks was way too long without a break. I may just be a sissy but I can usually make to 4 to 5 week mark then take a week break. I've tried the 5x5 routine with my main lifts (bench, squat, dl) and have seen good results as well. But the 5x5 wore me out quickly so i switched to 3x5 for my bench routine. I warm up then get a specific weight for 3x5 then go up 5lbs a week.

This post will now get rid of that annoying reminder that i haven't posted in a while :stick:

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
This is my week off and I'm sitting here in my gym room looking at everything and feeling guilty I'm not lifting..... Usually when I take a week off it's during a vacation and I'm not home.... Maybe I'll work on abs all week.

B

Beebs

Awards
My body would be telling 10weeks was way too long without a break. I may just be a sissy but I can usually make to 4 to 5 week mark then take a week break. I've tried the 5x5 routine with my main lifts (bench, squat, dl) and have seen good results as well. But the 5x5 wore me out quickly so i switched to 3x5 for my bench routine. I warm up then get a specific weight for 3x5 then go up 5lbs a week.

This post will now get rid of that annoying reminder that i haven't posted in a while :stick:

I do pretty much the same thing. I like to think of it as a pseudo-hst. I'll go 1x15 for a week, 2x10 for a week, and then 3x5 for a few weeks until my joints hurt or gains stop. Then I'll take a while off.

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
5x5 IS NOT GVT!!!!.........it is a great routine though :D