risks of several exercises

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
All exercise has its dangers, especially when improper form is used. Here are some common exercises which an individual should pay attention to getting down proper form and utilizing more saftey when performing these exercises. (some of these, i personally love and consider favorites. but once again, they do carry more responsibility from the individual to use strict form. Sage)

by Michael J. Merlino

Exercise ---- Why It Is High Risk
Leg extensions ---- locking knees ACL stress
Lat pull behind the head ----- shoulder & neck stress
Walking lunges ---- major stress on the knee joint
Low squats lower than 90 degrees ---- knee/hip stress
Butt blaster machine ----- stress on lower spine
Hip abductor machine (outer) ----- tension on hip joint
Ab rotator machine ----- stress on spine
Chest press with elbows below shoulders ------ rotator cuff stress
Overhead DB military presses ------ shoulder stress
Upright rows ------ stress on anterior deltoid/rotator

(1) Muscle: Latissimus Dorsi (Lat or Back)
Bad Choice: Behind the Neck Lat Cable Pulldowns Why it's Risky?
This movement not only stresses out the rotator cuff by putting the shoulder in a closed impact position but it also puts the upper spine in a very awkward and vulnerable position that you would never put yourself in during the course of your everyday life anyway. Recently the American College of Sports Medicine ranked this as one of the most common way to injury yourself in the gym. If your goal is to efficiently work the back or Lat muscles you just defeated the purpose by not aligning the line of resistance (cable) with the direction of the muscle fiber in the back or Latissimus Dorsi (Lat) muscle.
Safer Alternative - Front Lat Cable Pulldowns
Unlike it's evil cousin, the behind the head pull down, front lat pull downs do not stress the shoulder joint and properly align the line of resistance with the direction of the muscle fiber. In other words this movement puts your body in a natural and efficient position to get some quality back work in and avoid injury.

Form & Technique
First find your proper grip width on the bar by griping it where your forearm and upper arm are at 90 degrees . Before you start, tilt your body back at about a 30 degree angle and maintain your back stability by keeping the shoulders down, squeezing the shoulder blades together, tightening the abs and maintaining the natural arch of the low back. Pull the bar down in front of the head aiming towards your collar bone until the bar is just below your chin while squeezing or flexing the lat muscles and holding the flex for about a second. Return to the top until the arm is almost straight but still has a slight bend at the elbow joint. Go with a 2-4 count with a 2 count pulling down and twice as slow on the way up with a 4 count. Exhale as you pull down and inhale on the way up.

(1) Muscle: Anterior Deltoid (Front part of shoulder)
Bad Choice: Upright Barbell Rows
Why it's risky?
This movement puts undue stress on the shoulder and wrist joints while attempting to work the anterior deltoid (front of the shoulder).

Safer Alternative - Seated Front Duo Dumbbell Raises
Seated front dumbbell raises performed with a back supported bench, do a great job of working the anterior (front) shoulder while eleviating stress on the wrist, elbow and shoulder joint.

Form & Technique
Sit on a bench with a high back for lower back support. Bring the legs in narrow and grip the dumbbells in a hammer position with the face of the dumbells facing the floor and the ceiling. Your starting point is where you arms are to our side with the elbows bositioned under the shoulder . Keep a little bend to your elbow, tighen your stomach and raise the dumbbells until the wrist is level with the shoulder. Hesitate slightly on the top and return the the starting position. Remember to go with a 2 count on the way up and a slower four count on the way down.

(1) Muscle: Gluteus Maximus (Buttocks)
Bad Choice: Traveling Dumbbell or Barbell Lunges

Why it's risky?
Ah yes...the favorite exercise of many women because of their magic ability to melt fat off the butt. Not so fast little Missy! First off, spot reducing fat using weights doesn't work. Cardiovascular fitness using aerobic exercise burns the fat. But beyond that if you really think about it traveling lunges are really no more than a one legged squat in motion. How many times in the course of your everyday life do you squat on one leg while traveling across the room with a weight bearing force on your back? May sound like a stupid question but I'm a big believer that if a movement in the gym doesn't mimic one that you will encounter in your everyday life then why even bother with it anyway? This concept is called functional exercise. You may feel these in the gluts but along with a nice "butt burn" comes the added bonus of about 5 times your body weight plus the weight of the bar or dumbbell on each knee joint as you lunge forward with momentum. Not too cool.

Safer Alternatives - Stationery Lunges
There are many other ways to get some good butt or glute work in without risking the integrity of one of the most important joints in the body, the knee. A statonery modified lunge is a gret way to work the glutes without using momentum.

Form & Technique - Whether you use a barbell in a Smith machine or free standing with good old fashioned dumbbells, these are much safer than any walking lunge. Stand with your legs about shoulder width apart and bring on leg forward and one leg backward. Position your legs so as you bend your knees and lower your body to the floor, both legs are at 90 degree angles. Start in a standing position with good posture by keeping the abs tight and spine perpendicular to the floor. Gently lower your body weight while holding a dumbbell in each hand until the knee on your back leg almost touches the floor. Push through the floor on the front foot as you return to the starting position and flex your front thigh muscle. When you are almost stanind upright again, flex the glute muscle on the trailing leg.

(1) Muscle: Medial & Anterior (middle & front shoulder)
Bad Choice: Behind the head military barbell press
Why it's risky?
Behind the head military press using dumbbells, barbell or machines has almost the same negative affects as the behind the head lat pulldown by stressing the rotator cuff and upper spine. How many times in your everyday life do you decide to left heavy things behind your back and over your head while in a seated or standing position? I don't know about you but I can think of about a million more things I would much rather do with my time. Just isn't functional.

Safer Alternative - Side Lateral Dumbbell Raises
Side lateral raises are a much more effective exercise for working the medial (middle) deltoid or shoulder without putting stress on the shoulder joint or rotator cuff. The key here is limiting the range of motion so the elbows are not lifted above the shoulders at the top of the movement or too far inside the body at the bottom of the movement.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
nice sage... I swear I see sooo many people doing crazy, crazy stuff, it's a wonder they aren't all in the hospital... a good gym should have this kind of stuff posted in an easy to view place as far as I'm concerned (some probably do, most of the gyms in my experience do not though :( )

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
One thing I have seen with someone trying to do behind the head dumbell military presses is almost knocking themselves out with the bells.. NOW that was funny after the fact.. another member of the ass in the gym club :D:D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to add Power Cleans (a.k.a. snatch & jerk). This exercise seemed to have done some damage to my lower back while I was in High School, of course our coach would make us do these w/out teaching technique which is why it was bad for me. Luckily, the pain disappeared when I stopped doing this exercise

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You wanna talk about what not to do in the gym. A few days ago I was with one of my clients in the gym and some guy to the left of us pulled out one of those big excercise balls. Well he grabbed 50lb dumbells put his feet flat on the floor and layed back on top of the ball. Just imagine someone doing dumbell presses on a bench but minus the bench and put a huge rubber ball there. Needless to say he was doing Alternating dumbell presses and was bouncing left and right. I honestly thought this guys was going to die. I mean this ball is rollin he's bouncing I had to step in. I told him a bench might be better and he looked at me and said "I know what I'm doing pal" I guess some people just don't care if they crush themselves with a dumbell.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I love DB press on the ball. You just have to be careful of course and not bounce like that guy.

I first saw these many years back in MM2000 back when it was still a good mag. :)

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
This son of a bitch was doing them alternating and I'm tellin ya he was all over the place. It was amazing he didn't kill himself. Also what is the advantage of doing them on a ball. It lacks stability and you lose power?

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
You wanna talk about what not to do in the gym. A few days ago I was with one of my clients in the gym and some guy to the left of us pulled out one of those big excercise balls. Well he grabbed 50lb dumbells put his feet flat on the floor and layed back on top of the ball. Just imagine someone doing dumbell presses on a bench but minus the bench and put a huge rubber ball there. Needless to say he was doing Alternating dumbell presses and was bouncing left and right. I honestly thought this guys was going to die. I mean this ball is rollin he's bouncing I had to step in. I told him a bench might be better and he looked at me and said "I know what I'm doing pal" I guess some people just don't care if they crush themselves with a dumbell.
this reminds me of when one of the trainers at my gym tried to help this guy who was doin bench press....classic case of improper form...arched back, very wide grip, heavy weight and only brought it down maybe 1/4" of an inch.....trainer got the same reply. hope these folks know a good orthopedic surgeon. they are gonna need one.

to me any behind the neck exercise is a dangerous move...for all the reasons mentioned above.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Heavy weights and rubber balls don't mix:D

Zen_Lifter

Awards
a guy at our gym does that with 120 pound db's, its crazy...and he stays qutie stable on the ball. Hes huge and I think he does this for the added challenge since the db's only go to 120 at our gym. He always gets a spotter just incase.

Big H

Banned
Awards
Squats stopping at or above 90 degrees puts more stress on the knee joint.. I disagree with that one.