Forearm pains, less impact exercises needed! HELP

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
Recently i have been getting the most intense pains in my forearms after and while working out. So i've decided to take a break for a week from anything involving arms to let them heal.

When i get back to it, i need to ease in so it won't happen again. But i need to figure out which exercises i should swap out since they cause too much stress until my forearms are strong enough.

Biceps curls hurt - hammer curls not so much
Straight barbells hurt - ez bar less pain
Db benchpress hurt - is barbell benchpress going to be less stressful?
Dips hurt like crazy - pec deck instead????

Any suggestions?

Whats your experience?

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
glucosamine or cissus rx will help...also work bi's with db's not bb's for a while...i'm having the same problem and these things are helping me

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, good idea. All curls done hammer-style fixes the problem. Barbells kills the forearms for me.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've had this happen too at the beginning of this year. Just do anything that doesn't make it hurt, because I found that it definitely can be reaggrivated. Mine got so bad that I couldn't really do any real triceps exercises either for a couple weeks. One week I was feeling good doing seated ezcurl french presses and on the way down on one rep, I felt/heard(not sure exactly which one) something "click" in my forearm and I just bailed on the weight. That little incident probably set recovery back a couple weeks, so just take it easy for a little bit, whatever you do. Also, try not to overcompensate with your other arm, because I had done this and actually had it start happening in the other forearm, but not as bad. All in all, if you take it easy, look into Cissus Rx(USPlabs) and don't reaggrivate it, it should pass with time...mine did.

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
I'm quite intrigued by what the medical condition for this might be, some say tendonitis some say stress fractures of the bone others say its similar to carpal tunnel syndrome.

I believe its stress fractures since the pain icomes from the bone underneath the forearm on the middle of it. But I'm really just guessing.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
i talked to a trainer at my gym and he said its tendonitis from bending your wrist while doing curls...i've been wrapping it with an ace bandage and trying to focus on not bending my wrist...also doing mostly db work instead of bb for a bit till it heals up

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In my case, I do not believe it was tendonitis. I have heard many people call it "forearm splints" because it's just like having shin splints but on your forearm. I also think I read somewhere that it's called something like humeral stress periostitis.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
In my case, I do not believe it was tendonitis. I have heard many people call it "forearm splints" because it's just like having shin splints but on your forearm. I also think I read somewhere that it's called something like humeral stress periostitis.
Shin splints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shin splints aren't always stress fractures(see link above) in this case i think a stress fracture in your arm would get increasingly worse till it became unbearable to move around, considering the amount of weight you use and the unnatural motion performed to move that weight...jmo

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Shin splints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shin splints aren't always stress fractures(see link above) in this case i think a stress fracture in your arm would get increasingly worse till it became unbearable to move around, considering the amount of weight you use and the unnatural motion performed to move that weight...jmo
I don't know about yours, but mine actually did get progressively worse the more I continued training. It also felt like there was some sort of "lump" where the pain was coming from, which went away as the pain did.

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
No noubt that Cissus RX help. I quit using it for 2 weeks and the pain came back strong. Started on Cissus RX 4 days ago and the pain is now considerable less. Interesting.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been through this problem time and time again. Use E-Z Bar curl for the curling portion and use the Preacher Curl Bench. It limits movement and focuses on the bicep. On Dips you have to go with lighter weight or Just build up your triceps until they can handle your own body weight if you're not doing weighteds. Also, Don't do olympic bb curls. And do incline bench with dumbells. Those exercises give good growth and focus intensely upon the biceps.

TexN343

Awards
In motocross it's called arm pump. To prevent it while I ride I take one aspirin. The pumps are so bad that it becomes hard to open and close my hands. Try lifting with a lighter grip and bending wrist less.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In motocross it's called arm pump. To prevent it while I ride I take one aspirin. The pumps are so bad that it becomes hard to open and close my hands. Try lifting with a lighter grip and bending wrist less.
in motocross your forearm gets extremely pumped and can cause some of the same nerve irritation he's feeling. I believe however he's having this problem from doing it with a straight bar however.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'd pick ups sole Cissus and go to a massage therapist for some deep tissue massage work. This helps tremendously with preventing injuries and working out those annoying little kinks that we get just from beating up our body's from all the weights.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Switch exercises to a neutral grip as opposed to fully pronated or supinated. Definetly avoid straight bar.

Start doing forearm exercises and stretches.

This helped me.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Also don't lockout on any pressing or tricep movement. Drop the straight bar for biceps as well.

Hardgain

Hardgain

Awards
This happened to me last year at thihs time in the left side and now, right now in the right side.

You are right this is definately not "arm pump" which most experienced lifters are already familiar with. I feels as though it is at the bone, and affects mostly bicep movemnets, especially those done with some supination.

I am really glad that this is not a unique to me fenom, because I was starting to worry a little. Also, all of the movements that those who have responded to this properly seem to be right on in my experience. I would say though, that the Cissus does not help, am least not in my case, though it works awsome for my shoulders.

Another thing, the deep masseage does help with this. I was in extreme pain one night, and unable to sleep because of this. My wife messaged intently that area, concentrating on those "strands" that are down by the bone, and that elped ease it enough to sleep.

I am bad about this though, I endure and work though.....probably not the best advice.:jaw:

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
Just went to see a doctor and a physiotherapist. They both said the same: it's Tendovaginitis.

Also known as tendinous synovitis or tenovaginitis more commonly refered to as tendonitis is a swelling and irretation of the tendon sheaths due to overexertion.

This injury is characterized by a dull ache or stinging every time you use the tendon. Pain might be felt when pressure is applied to the tendon, and swelling might be evident as well.

Common treatment includes rest, ice, tape or immobilization with a splint, and anti-inflamitory medicine.

They both told me to stay outta the gym for at least 2 weeks (!!!!!!) or the condition could become chronic. But they said i could still train the arms as long as i could do it without ANY pain. It won't heal if you keep irritating the sheaths.

Cooper-RI

Awards
Same thing happened to me. I'm almost at the end of my 2 week "vacation". It really is killing me not to be able to lift, but it may have the upside of re-invigorating me after 4 years of solid lifting. I also just purchased some wrist stips from newgrips.com. Not sure if I can say that on here or not. But, obviously haven't tried them yet but I hope they help with the recovery. Good luck!

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed that wrist straps help reducing stress on the forearm. I'm going to take a 2 week break at the end of the month as well.

After that, all db work will be done hammer-style and no barbells except for bench presses. I have noticed that makes a big difference.

Cooper-RI

Awards
I agree about the barbells. That what spurred this latest reoccurence. I was stupid and thought, what they hell, I've been feeling great for a year, I should be OK. Wrong. Dumbells are your friend...

Hardgain

Hardgain

Awards
TWO WEEKS !!! That sucks ! I have to wait three to take my two cuz I am right in the middle of it..............and I don't really want to but sounds like you all have had the same so should probably follow the advice myself. :blink:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
IMO, I think the use of wrist straps should be minimized and they should just be used when you really need them, not just all the time. In my case, I think relying on straps caused part of the problem because my forearm strength wasn't up with everything else. Once I stopped using straps and started strengthening my forearms, the problem slowly subsided for me.

Cooper-RI

Awards
I agree they shouldn't be a permanent fix. My intention is to use them to help me recuperate, as I know I will still have some pain when I begin lifting again...hopefully this Sunday! Once a few months go by, and assuming I'm feeling better, I'd like to begin phasing them out or only use them on select excercises.

Gotta say though...just doing cardio and getting out of the gym early is a nice thing!

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI... When I was 18, I was trying to keep up with much stronger friends and got stuck midway on a straight bar curl with 150lbs. I never did get the rep and my forearms had what felt like tendonitis for many years after. Over the past year, I started using a wrist-wrap that held together with velcro. I applied it tightly before doing dumbell curls and the rare ez-bar curl set (never straight bar curls anymore). About two months ago, I was distracted by some guy talking to me in the gym - and did a set of 60's for standing alternates - without the wrap. No pain at all.. So I think the wrap helped me to develop whatever muscles were needed that I lacked before - or maybe just got some tendons more apt to doing what I asked them to do...

andros

andros

Awards
  • Established
I'm over my forearm pains. They're gone, completely! And here is how:

1/ I switched to use hammer style for all dumbbell exercises. Even chest flys. I quit cable flys because of the stress that they put on your forearm.

2/This step was the most essential since this was really got me rid of the horribe pains. I rubbed my forearms in a thick layer of Voltaren 3 times daily for 3 weeks.

And boooom, gone..........

Hardgain

Hardgain

Awards
andros I'm over my forearm pains. They're gone, completely! And here is how:

1/ I switched to use hammer style for all dumbbell exercises. Even chest flys. I quit cable flys because of the stress that they put on your forearm.
I did the same thing and also eliminated overhand barbell curls (sometimes I do them but with an EZ curl bar because it puts your forearm in a much better angle)....And, I am free of mine as well.
:good: