Please critique My workout schedule ...

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Any and all info is appreicated..

I have read several logs, but there are not to many who are only working out three times a week like me, Most are 4 or more times a week..

( If this is posted in the wrong area, let me know, and I will move it )

Ok guys and Gals, I need your help and advice ( please )
I have been reading several training logs, and have gotten and taken some really good info away from it with me.
I am looking for some help developing a workout schedule that will work for me. I only allow myself 3 days sometimes 4 days a week to train because I want to spend as much time with my children as possible. I also work 9 to 10 hrs a day, so time with them is limited. That is why only 3 days are left for training.
The way I am training right now is not correct.. ( I am over training from what I have read.)

Oh yeah, I have a damaged shoulder right now, and flat bench is really not an option.. But, for some reason, I can do the close grip flat bench with no problem.

This is my current training routine..

Monday: All upper body

Chest:

DB flat bench 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps going up in weight.

DB Incline bench press 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps going up in weight

Flies 3 sets of 8 to 10 going up in weight ( Does not hurt shoulder for some reason )

Front Pull downs 3 sets of 8 to 10 sets going up in weight

And about 3 other machines that use free weights that deal with the chest that I do not know the name of. But they work good. And I do them 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Wide grip push ups 3 sets of 20 to 30 reps

Biceps:

Standing DB curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Hammer curls curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Curl bar curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Preacher Curls curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Sometimes reverse curls

Triceps:

Skull Crusher curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Triceps pushdowns curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

One handed cable push curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Close handed pushup curls 3 sets of 20 to 30 reps

Kickbacks 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

And not sure of the machine name, but it is also a push down machine that deals with triceps.

Shoulders:

Not much I can do...

Upright rows hurt and so do lateral raises.

I do one machine that works on my rear delts. ( hurts alittle )

Push ups work on delts if I am not mistaken.

Pull downs front and rear 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Over head Presses 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Traps:

DB should shrugs curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Barbell shoulder shurgs curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Seated Shrugs on a machine that uses free weights also.

Back:

Front and rear Pull Downs 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Seated cable rows 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

And a few pull back machines that work on your back.

TUESDAY : OFF

WEDNESDAY : Leg day

Squats 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

I use two different sleds. 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Leg extensions 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Leg curls 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Calf raises 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps . On two different machines

THURSDAY : OFF

FRIDAY : UPPER BODY

Same as Monday...

I know this is way over training from what I have read, so what I would like your help with is..
Show me what would be a good way to break the muscle groups down so that they would only be getting trained once a week as everyone or most everyone on here says to do.
I have looked at several different ways to do this and have some ideas, But I want to get some advice from people on here who actually know what will work or should work for me and my schedule.
Yeah, I know I am long winded..

Also, if you need the info, I am 38 yrs old, 171 lbs, I am 5ft
10 inches tall. I am looking to gain lean muscle. I am also working keeping my diet as clean as I can everyday with some desent success.

I am currently taking Rebound Reloaded along with Chaos, and liking it ... Plus 100% On Whey. Twice daily on workout days .

Thanks for your help and advice, It is appreicate.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Holy baby is that a lot of volume.

If your going to hit beach BP 2x a week I would say do 3-4 sets each time you hit the body part.

"less is more" is the #2 rule in bodybuilding (training wise) in my oppinion....

FYI "heavy compound lifts build muscle" is rule 1

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
as per rule number one, I would add deadlifts, lots of them, on your upper body day. Bag all those chest machines. If you're looking to build muscle all you need is heavy bench, heavy inclines, heavy dips, and flyes with a comfortable weight. For back, as said, deads, and some bend over rows or one arm dumbell rows, low rows with cables are ok too. Shoulders, military press, lateral raise, shrugs. Also, you dont need that much for traps. I only do 4 sets of shrugs and alternate between db, hammer strength, and barbell each workout. Too much biceps too. 5-6 sets of heavy barbell curls are just fine.

I think your volume is way to high to build muscle unless you're eating 7000 cals a day and taking a good amount of AAS. Keep it simple and stick to compund moves. Once you build up a good base of strength and muscle, then work on getting detail (machines are ok for this)

As far as your diet, it seems you need a lot more cals and protein than you're taking in...2 shakes per day only on workout days?? That should be just pre and post workout. I drink 5 shakes per day with 4-5 whole food meals. Granted I'm 265 lbs now, this is how I got there. ALso, you may want to add some creatine into your supplementation. I recommend Gaspari SizeOn or Nutrex Vitargo CGL.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Wow, Thanks for the repiles.. I had this posted in the wrong area and was not getting much response.. I do appreicate your time and help.

I am having a hardtime lifting heavy right now because of my right shoulder. I have not been to the Dr. yet, But alot of people seem to think I may have damaged my Rotator Cup. It has been 6 or 7 weeks now, and it still hurts in certain positions. Kinda embarrassing when its time to do bench and your only able to get 180 up and then your should lets go..:jaw:
Used to be able to get 220 up for 2 reps, but my shoulder will not allow it right now. So I have tried to go to Dumbells. They seem to not hurt as bad. I will try to go heavier with them.

As you see on my plan, I usually do 3 sets, sometimes 4, I will cut the 4 sets out and stick with 3 sets as you say.

And what I am gathering from what you all are saying, I can take some of the exercises out of my routine.
And.... I can still work these muscles at least twice a week.

Please correct me if I am wrong..

I appreicate your quick repplies and help.

Just trying to learn...And I have along way to go.

Thanks again

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
you are correct. tbh you might want to see a doctor asap because a torn rotator cuff will have you out for a year. And like I said, pay MOST attention to your diet. Training and recovery is about 30% of the equation, diet is the other 70%. It sounds like you need way way more protein and calories (remember to keep it clean). And get rid of the machines for now. Focus on compund movements and work your way up in weights once you get the form and technique down. But I would advise in the strongest that the first thing you do is see a doctor, preferably a sports medicine or physiatrist (physical medicine, NOT psychiatrist). Most internists and family docs know nothing about sports injuries, and even if they could tell you what was wrong, they wouldnt know how to outline a proper recovery program for you.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help Rocky..

I have to go to my Dr. first so I can get him to recommend me to a sports Dr.. I hate to go to the Dr, and then maybe be out for a yr. I have been working really hard, and I have actually gotten some good results and now if I do have to sit out for a yr or so, Thats would suck..

So on the protein, I should be drinking more than two shakes aday ? Like I said before, I am only drinking 2 on my workout days now, and none on my off days. Was told to it could make me constipated if I drank to much.. I think someone on here told me that. I know there are other foods that can help me also, so I will look into that.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Well I eat tons of fiber and consume at least 400 g of protein a day (and also drink about 2 gallons of water per day) so constipation is not a problem for me. You should consume 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass to maintain your LBM and 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass when trying to add weight. So yes, you need to up your protein a lot. And whether it comes from shakes or whole food isnt the issue, but the actual total per day is.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Rocky... I do not know if I mentioned it, but I am currently taking Rebound Reloaded along with Chaos. I have what I would concider a newbie question for you or anyone else.
How do you actually get what your lean body mass is ? Is it your body weight minus your bodyfat percentage ? I will not be back online for awhile, but I wil do a search on it when I get back on. I am sure I can find out how to figure it out on here after a few searches.

Thanks for helping me along my journey.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I went over to fitday.com and took a look at my protein intake, and it runs anywhere from 160 to 217 grams of protein a day.... I weigh 170lbs..

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
so you want about 250-260 g of protein a day.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
If you want to hit each bp 2x a week with this split try this...
~Monday
Bench
DB shoulder press
Barbell curls
Overhead Tricep ext.
Deadlifts
Pulldowns

Tuesday
Squats
Lying leg curls
Standing calf raise

Wed- off

Thursday
Incline Bench
Military press (shoulder press in front of head)
CG ez bar curls or preacher curls
Close grip decline bench
Barbell rows
Pullups (add/remove weight as necessary)

Friday
Leg press or front squats
Seated or standing leg curls
Seated calf raise

Sat and Sun off

3 sets of every exercise. Personally, I pyramid DOWN in weight, going from 5-7, 8-10, and 10-12 reps for my sets. EVERY set to failure. Dont be afraid to yell out "LIGHT WEIGHT" like ronnie or "I AM ARNOLD" to force out that last rep, it works :thumbsup:

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Spatch and PVSKYHIGH.. I appreicate it. I will give it a whirl.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again.. I will check it out tonight sometime.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Wow, its hard to get your protein up to 250 or 260 grams aday.. :jaw: or at least it is for me... But if thats what I need to do to grow, Then thats what I will be doing..

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Wow, its hard to get your protein up to 250 or 260 grams aday.. :jaw: or at least it is for me... But if thats what I need to do to grow, Then thats what I will be doing..
Lol, I hit that number by 1 PM. Try 400-500 g a day fella...yes its hard and not fun and tastes like challk, but if it wasnt, everyone would do it. Good luck man!!

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Lol, I hit that number by 1 PM. Try 400-500 g a day fella...yes its hard and not fun and tastes like challk, but if it wasnt, everyone would do it. Good luck man!!
What exactly are you eatting and drinking to hit that number ? I got up to 3100 calories yesterday, and 236g of protein, so I made some improvements. I am gonna try more Tuna Fish sandwiches today ..
And yeah, I know what you mean about if it was easy everyone would would be doing it. Guess that what seperates everyone.. Just how bad you want it.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
What exactly are you eatting and drinking to hit that number ? I got up to 3100 calories yesterday, and 236g of protein, so I made some improvements. I am gonna try more Tuna Fish sandwiches today ..
And yeah, I know what you mean about if it was easy everyone would would be doing it. Guess that what seperates everyone.. Just how bad you want it.
I thought you's never ask...

I dont advocate anything like this, it's just my diet, and this is pretty much maintenance for me at 265. If I add some cardio I'll lose 1/2 to 1 lb of fat per week (which is not good enough for pre-contest), so my contest diet is less carbs, less cals, and more cardio. Anyway, here's an example:

7:30 AM - 60 g whey, 3-4 packets of low sugar instant oatmeal (3 g flax seed oil, 2 caps policosanol, 1 cap Co Q10, 1 serving Animal Pack multiV, 2 sesamin caps)

9:30 - Myoplex original blend

noon - 3 pieces chicken breast, cup brown rice, mixed veggies (3 g flax seed oil, 2 sesamin caps)

2 PM - Myoplex original blend

4 PM - Myoplex original (Myoplex lite or carb sense if dieting), 5 g glutamine

4:30 - 5:30 - Train
During workout - 1 serving Gaspari SizeOn

6 PM - 2 scoops Nutrex Vitargo CGL, 3 scoops Gaspari Protein, 20 oz orange gatorade, splash of skim plus, 5-7 g glutamine

7 PM - Myoplex original blend with low fat granola bar or 2 packets low sugar instant oatmeal

8 PM - Dinner- could be anything from fish, grilled chicken, lean steak - shoot for 50-60 g protein, carb load at this meal varies depending on diet (3 g flax seed oil, 1 cap coQ10, 2-4 caps sesamin)

9:30 - 40 g megawhey (GNC brand - contains 5 g glutamine)

11 PM - 1.5-2 cups low fat cottage cheese

I just watch my body and see how it responds. Right now I'm starting a 3 month PCT to give my HPTA a break, but will be using HGH, insulin, and IGF-1. So the only thing that will change from the above is that the first meal of the day will have slightly more carbs, and PWO will remain the same, perhaps with some oatmeal or granola thrown in) The hardest part is finding what works best for you and your own metabolism. But like I said, this is pretty much maintenance, give or take, for me. If I want to tighten up I add some cardio, and if I want to diet down I add 45-90 mins of cardio 5-7 days per week and drop the carbs out of all the meals with the exception of the first meal and PWO meal.

Hope this helps.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Pretty busy schedule.. I am impressed. Alot of stuff on there that I have no clue as to what you were talking about, looks like I am gonna be doing some googleing tonight to see what some of that stuff is..(( Yeah Yeah, I know.. I am a noobie ))

But a noobie that is wanting to learn..:cheers:

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Dont worry, learning about bodybuilding and also disciplining yourself, is the best part of this sport. You get to compete against yourself each and every day. Good luck and ask any questions you like!

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Hey, are we allowed to ask for emails or give our email address out on here ?

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thanks... I was not for sure, so thats why I asked.. Don't wanna get banned from the board or anything. To much good info to lose out on...

Thanks for your help Spatch.