weak grip!!!

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when i do things like pull ups, bent over bb rows my grip i think fails and its hard to get the top part of the movement, so i am assuming this is weak forearms.

at the end of leg/abs day, i have been doing this:

6 sets dumbell wrist curls (arms on thighs, hands hangning off, roll db into wrist, curl wrist up, then roll into tips of fingers, repeat))

supersetted with

6 sets dumbell reverse wrist curls

will this help my grip?
and will it make some good forarm development??

thanks

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
#1 NEVER use wrist wraps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 DL, DL, DL and then do some DL with no wrist wraps!!!!
#3 DL
#4 Rack DLs
#5 DL
#6 DL
#7 Shrugs
#8 DL
#9 Don't use wrist wraps
#10 DL

To work the grip you have to grip and nothing works the grip like DLs, you can db wrist curl all day with those little weights but to work the grip you need to put some real weight in your hands!

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I agree to a certain point with you basso. I never wear gloves but I think straps are good when you start pulling some serious weight. I don't think that your hands are anywhere near how strong your back is so it's only fair to your back that you use wrist straps (when going HEAVY).

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I agree to a certain point with you basso. I never wear gloves but I think straps are good when you start pulling some serious weight. I don't think that your hands are anywhere near how strong your back is so it's only fair to your back that you use wrist straps (when going HEAVY).
Ok, I know where your coming from, but your grip should be stronger then what your back can handle!!

This is one point that I believe BBing has become Sissified (is that a word?) BBer's are believing what they read in Gay (I mean BBer) mags and following advice from gym gurus. Grip first then Big back. It's kinda like the logic of how can you lift 400lbs with your chest but can't pick up 300lbs off the floor. What good is a big chest if you don't have the legs to hold it up. What good is a big back if you can't hang on to anything.

If you DL on back day and your hands are thrashed, then heck yes use wraps, but if you consistently use wraps to overload and never work your grip, your cheating yourself (and your wrist and forearms). My Moronic opinion is that you should be able to hang on to at the very least your BWx3 minimal! If you can't then it's time for some rack work. jmho

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna have to go with Pit on this one, especially since I know how taxed my grip can get on back day. Trying to do shrugs at the end of a back workout can be very tough without straps for the last few real heavy sets.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Farmers walk helps too.

Or doing shrugs with an explosive up (2secs) and controlled negative (4secs). I get people telling me how im going to blow my hands out by doing this with 100lbs dumbells. I try to explain to them im also doing it for grip and yet they still tell me I need straps for it. I love farmers walks but cant do them anymore due to too many people in the gym at the time. So I save it for when Im shopping with my GF :lol:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I never use straps but the main reason is because my grip doesn't give out before the target muscle.

On the question of whether or not you should use them, are you powerlifting or bbing? If your bbing then use straps. Who cares if you have grip strength because your main goal is myofibular hypertrophy and your not going to get that if your grip is giving out way before the target muscle.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Get yourself a couple monsters of crush grip trainers. I can post the link if anyone needs it. I basically purchased level 1 and 2. Before these, I had a decent grip but really needed to use straps for heavy bb rows and shrugs. I beat level 1 and am half way to beating level 2 and I can say without a doubt I can crush most guys hands right now. My forearms are growing like crazy too!

Edit:

I forgot to write that I can now do weighted pull ups (wide grip hands facing forward) - usually 3 sets of 8 to 10 with a 35 lb plate hanging between my legs.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok, I know where your coming from, but your grip should be stronger then what your back can handle!!

Basso i'm just wondering since the muscles in your fingers hands forearms etc are so much smaller than the back muscles why would your grip be stronger than the bigger muscle group. Ofcourse I am not a PL and I am just trying to understand the mechanics of this all as I have not been using straps but my training partner is telling me I should get some for when we do heavy shrugs etc. I always thought that a smaller muscle would naturally give out before a bigger muscle ie we can bench more than we can curl or we can squat more than we can do calf raises?

moflika

Awards
I use gloves pretty much everyday I train except when I work forearms, abs and other stuff that just doesn't need them at all. My question is, is using gloves all the time going to have any long-term negative effects in my training?

I do farmers walks and BB behind the back wrist curls once a week, so I don't completly abandon my wrist/forearms when it comes to training.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Wrist curls
Reverse Wrist Curls
Behind The Back Wrist Curls
Farms walks (these are the most important)

And don't use straps.

Their is different types of gripe strength the one you want is the strength to maintain your grip, so you need to do farmers walks and also don't use straps on any exercises. So grab a pair of weights lets say the 100's and either stand still or just walk around the gym till your grip fails, if you can hold them for a minute then you should up the weight.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Good site!

This is the one where I purchased mine from:

Weight lifting equipment, Captains of Crush grippers for strength athletes - IronMind

This is probably first and foremost the best grip training information and equipment available.
Captains of Crush definitely help with wrist strength. I was having some problems deadlifting due to lack of wrist strength and COC's definitely helped.

Also, another excercise which has helped me is if your gym has the hexagonal type dumbbells, not the circular weighted dumbbells. Grip the hexagonal part so that the dumbbell is perpendicular to the floor and just hold on to the weight for as long as possible. Sorry if this explanation sucks.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
My question is, is using gloves all the time going to have any long-term negative effects in my training?

Is it going to be a HUGE difference no but I heard that it makes your grip a little weaker. Its a matter of do you want your hands soft or your grip a little stronger? But overall it's not going to make a huge impact or lessen your gains.

moflika

Awards
Ok, thats cool. I do it because I like to focus on the muscles being worked out and not worrying about my grip. I guess that could be fixed by not using gloves anymore and slowly building up my grip, but right now I'm at a point where I'm focusing on getting all my forms down, so I don't want to add anyting else into the mix.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established

Basso i'm just wondering since the muscles in your fingers hands forearms etc are so much smaller than the back muscles why would your grip be stronger than the bigger muscle group. Ofcourse I am not a PL and I am just trying to understand the mechanics of this all as I have not been using straps but my training partner is telling me I should get some for when we do heavy shrugs etc. I always thought that a smaller muscle would naturally give out before a bigger muscle ie we can bench more than we can curl or we can squat more than we can do calf raises?
It's part of the beauty of the human body! We can hang on to really heavy things with all the finger/forearm muscles working in tandem. Obviously this is much more important to a PLer, but I think BBers dumb down the importance of such things and they miss out on a lot because of it. Straps have their place, but grip is important to PLers and BBers alike.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
I would rather my girl love my hands all over her body (smooth hands make women happy :hammer: ) than be concerned about minimal hand strength loss due to wearing gloves..... although I highly doubt using gloves will make any negative difference in grip strength...

I use gloves pretty much everyday I train except when I work forearms, abs and other stuff that just doesn't need them at all. My question is, is using gloves all the time going to have any long-term negative effects in my training?

I do farmers walks and BB behind the back wrist curls once a week, so I don't completly abandon my wrist/forearms when it comes to training.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh great input so my forearm workout is ok to keep doing though right?

krenalor

Awards
So I save it for when Im shopping with my GF :lol:
You must shop at the same place I do, use 4 bags and stuff 8 bags worth of groceries in them. Oh, and my whole wheat bread goes on the bottom of the bag :rofl: .

I go with use straps when you must only!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys how much benefit would just lifting the barbell up and holding it be to grip strength. I was trying that today just put some plates on and held it as loong as I could. or say like at the end of shrugs if i just held it up as long as possible? My grip is pretty weak and sometimes gives out on me when doing rows etc. I really don't want this to happen btw I don't use straps my partner said to get some but after reading here decided against it.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
That's similar to a farmers walk, just without the walking part. It'd be good for grip strength for sure.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys how much benefit would just lifting the barbell up and holding it be to grip strength. I was trying that today just put some plates on and held it as loong as I could. or say like at the end of shrugs if i just held it up as long as possible? My grip is pretty weak and sometimes gives out on me when doing rows etc. I really don't want this to happen btw I don't use straps my partner said to get some but after reading here decided against it.

those are perfect, they're called static holds, do a couple sets and you'll be gold

430hope450

Awards
Hey guys. I no longer compete at the 3 lifts but i do train grip. In fact it is stronger now than ever before. Remember there are three diffeerent kinds of grip strength. Support, crush and pinch. Want to hang on to those rows , etc? One day a week use a fat bar preferably 2.5 inch for partial dl's from the knee in the power rack. Won't overtrain the back and the grip well you will be surprised

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. I no longer compete at the 3 lifts but i do train grip. In fact it is stronger now than ever before. Remember there are three diffeerent kinds of grip strength. Support, crush and pinch. Want to hang on to those rows , etc? One day a week use a fat bar preferably 2.5 inch for partial dl's from the knee in the power rack. Won't overtrain the back and the grip well you will be surprised
First up- Wellkomen!
Sounds like some good advice, I might try to get in some grip work like that into my routine.