what is a good bench??

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
not a set weight but i mean max bench based on your own weight? 100lbs over your weight. 2x your own weight. I mean we all see the weights the pro's push but what about the average person what do you guys thinks is a good max to push for percentage wise?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the national standard is 1x your weight. 1.5x your weight is above average and 2x is a good sign of someone who hit sthe gym regularly :)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To be honest, I don't consider bench pressing a significant measurement of anything special. My benching is 1.25 times my body weight but I hardly ever bench. My shoulders and other joints don't get along with the bench.

But, with that said...when I see a guy benching twice his weight that is pretty respectable. I never give value to big fat guys benching heavy weight and bouncing it off their stomach. I'm impressed by small guys who look weak that can put up big numbers.

I guess, I really respect well roundedness more than anything. LOL, maybe a little too much verbage.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Jay, and Rage. A nice bench impresses me as long as it's part of a well-rounded, complete routine and the guy isn't a strictly biceps and bench press kind of guy. If the person has never done Squats or Deads and they tell me they bench 315 I tell them to **** off, because I could care less.

ICEBERG

Awards
I would say 1.5-1.75 times bodyweight is respectable and more than likely the weight is lifted with good form - no bouncing off the chest, and feet must be on the bench. Benchpress has never been my specialty either but like Dead-lifts, squats, it is a must exercise. I prefer dumbbell presses because they hit the all the pectoral muscle areas while the flatbench tends to tire the shoulders and triceps quicker thus negating any explosive power for quality reps. I do love close-grip benchpress and my chest gets a better pump with those. To shake things up I have been doing flat dumbbell presses on a ball and I have felt different muscle groups being hit as well as the abdominal region being worked by trying to balance on the ball. I also have been doing arnold presses on the ball and 35 lbs feels like 70 lbs. If you guys try the "ball" exercises let me know what you think. Lastly, (yeah I know I sure can talk,..) I see a lot of workout logs that indicate low reps 4-6 reps on exercises that are more conducive for 10-12 or maybe even 15 reps. I keep the core exercises Squats, Dead Lifts, Benchpress, etc, at the 10-12 rep range and never go lower than 8 if I can help it. Once a month I will do high reps of 15-30 to shock the fast twitch fibers and give the slow twitch a break. This routine has worked out real well and my strength has shot through the roof. Have any of you guys shocked your bodies like that? Any other ideas?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I Can do 1.5 my body for reps and im 215 and 6'3", not powerlifter porportions. If youve added significantly more weight since youve began training then thats a better focus than comparing to others. In grade 11 i benched 135 for 2 with help at 150 pounds, so thats what i worry about. When talking about bodybuilding a bench press is such a small detail and largely genetic, barrel chest and short arms are nice helpers. To many focus on the bench id rather say whats your three lift total, not that im a powerlifter but roundedness is harder to achieve than exploiting genetic gifts soley. In 7 years ive added 200 lbs? or so to my bench since ive stopping growing height wise.

RobDyson

Awards
It all depends on your goal. In high school, I was 155-160, and I maxed out at 375, w/ respectable deads and squats(thats all my coach made us do). I needed alot of raw power for the sports I was in. Now, I'm 185-190, and I never max out, because I never grew much when training like that, and I have a more bodybuilding type mindset. In order for me to grow, I need to switch up the reps, form, speed, weight etc, in order to get the most growth; not to mention I don't just do 1 exercise for chest. So, yeah 1.25-1.75 is good, but it's not a standard and it only matters if you use perfect form, as with any/every exercise.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I think I only do about 1.5x my bodyweight, although it's been a long time since I've actually done flat bench.

My incline was extremely pathetic, and I've been concentrating on that more. I can now incline press more than my bodyweight for around 12 reps. I'm a little over 200lbs.

Honestly, I think bench numbers are only to impress other guys. Girls are not impressed, and typically wouldn't even know what a good number even is (with any lift). Of course, I may just be saying that because benching is one of my weakest lifts, LoL. (I know I'm tricep/deltiod dominanant).

But I have to admit that I pay more attention to how I look in the mirror as opposed to the actual lift numbers than what I used to. Although reaching a PR always gives me a rush...

RobDyson

Awards
OK, that impresses me. :bruce1:
hah, it's been almost three years since I hit those numbers at such a light weight. But it made me feel big in high school lol, throwing shotput among alot of guys who were alot bigger than I.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
I can honestly say my benchpress numbers are pretty bad. I contribute some of the bad numbers to my freakishly long arms. I'm 6'2, but have a wingspan of 6'9. I think I can bench about 215 right now weighing 185 pounds. But I never try to max out so I'm not really sure. But I'm definitely working on my chest, because it's my weak point. When I used to weigh 300 pounds, I was only able to bench 230max...so I don't feel TOO bad. :p

On a side-note...what would you consider "respectable" Max Squats and Deads for a 6'2 185 pound guy?

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
At the moment i can only bench just over 80% of my body weight which is a bit embarrising.

ICEBERG

Awards
IMO someone who is just starting out should keep feet on the bench and concentrate on proper form. If you are able to kee your feet on the floor and use proper form-then keep doing it. People who start out with bad form don't ever build that foundation that is so pertinent for true progress and strength increases. Benchpress by and large is everyone's first real gym exercise and so many novices use bad form, build false security, and create perpetual bad habits in other exercises. That is why I am so against about- "keeping feet on the floor" I ask you all - Would you build a house foundation with balsa wood?I see so many people excited about benchpressing "impresssive amounts" in the gym but when you really stop and look at how it was done you have to question the form and execution when it is done with feet on the floor. You lie down the bench and place your feet on the floor and use them and your lower back for balance. You feel secure that you you canknow push against the floor which is not moving anywhere. Thus you inadvertently use momentum, your lower back, and legs to push the weight. When your feet are up- the chest area is isolated and you are forced to use more coordination and balance to execute the press. Now, I am not trying to be "the almighty know it all" but again IMO why would you want to take credit for benching weight using legs, lower back, momentum, etc, when you can get more out of less weight and really isolate the pec region. I always see guys that move a lot of weight but their asses come off the bench inadvertently with the legs pushing against the floor and/or I see the bounce off the chest where now moving the weight is done by momentum. There is no control of the weight coming down. If you dare attempt to do that when your feet are up on the bench- you will either fall off because the weight forced you to lean too far in one direction or you will crack your sternum or a rib. See what I mean? The legs, and lowr back with feet on the floor allows for that poor form to exist. But don't be fooled. You are not doing a proper bench press. In fact your form will result in sore shoulders, lower back, calves, abs, but hey your ego is intact. DO THE EXERCISE RIGHT AND YOU WILL SEE MORE RESULTS ON YOUR BODY THAN IN YOUR MIND.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
On a side-note...what would you consider "respectable" Max Squats and Deads for a 6'2 185 pound guy?
Anyone who squats or deadlifts gets my respect. :) The numbers are secondary.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO someone who is just starting out should keep feet on the bench and concentrate on proper form. If you are able to kee your feet on the floor and use proper form-then keep doing it. People who start out with bad form don't ever build that foundation that is so pertinent for true progress and strength increases. Benchpress by and large is everyone's first real gym exercise and so many novices use bad form, build false security, and create perpetual bad habits in other exercises. That is why I am so against about- "keeping feet on the floor" I ask you all - Would you build a house foundation with balsa wood?I see so many people excited about benchpressing "impresssive amounts" in the gym but when you really stop and look at how it was done you have to question the form and execution when it is done with feet on the floor. You lie down the bench and place your feet on the floor and use them and your lower back for balance. You feel secure that you you canknow push against the floor which is not moving anywhere. Thus you inadvertently use momentum, your lower back, and legs to push the weight. When your feet are up- the chest area is isolated and you are forced to use more coordination and balance to execute the press. Now, I am not trying to be "the almighty know it all" but again IMO why would you want to take credit for benching weight using legs, lower back, momentum, etc, when you can get more out of less weight and really isolate the pec region. I always see guys that move a lot of weight but their asses come off the bench inadvertently with the legs pushing against the floor and/or I see the bounce off the chest where now moving the weight is done by momentum. There is no control of the weight coming down. If you dare attempt to do that when your feet are up on the bench- you will either fall off because the weight forced you to lean too far in one direction or you will crack your sternum or a rib. See what I mean? The legs, and lowr back with feet on the floor allows for that poor form to exist. But don't be fooled. You are not doing a proper bench press. In fact your form will result in sore shoulders, lower back, calves, abs, but hey your ego is intact. DO THE EXERCISE RIGHT AND YOU WILL SEE MORE RESULTS ON YOUR BODY THAN IN YOUR MIND.
That's all well and good but I would never teach someone to benchpress the wrong way to start off with. That is an extremely, extremely dangerous way to bench in that you have no stable center of gravity and the bar could tip at any time. If the person is using momentum their concept of the movement is out of whack, the feet placement becomes inconsequential at that point, save for your method makes it more dangerous. I have seen guys that put their feet on the bench that just arc their back and push off the bench instead.

ICEBERG

Awards
You don't grow if you don't squat, dead-lift, or avoid compound exercises for the isolated and shaping ones. Alright you got me fired up for Back and Biceps! Keep Pumping, and Growing.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I dn't think there is a "formula" for impressive. If you're a 400lbs fatass, I'm still impressed if you're benching 400lbs even though its only your bodyweight and if you're a stick I'm impressed if you can rep your own bodyweight. Just depends on the situation.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Well i weigh 147 lbs and can only bench 120lbs. So i have a long way to go :D

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's horrible advice right there, i'm a powerlifter and bench with one of the top guys in the sport and feet up isnt even an option. your legs arent just there for power, they are there for stability, put 315+ in your hands and keep your feet up and tell me how safe it is, it's not. nothing wrong with using some legs in the momentum, just keep your ass down. if you dont want to use your legs in the movement do floor presses, keeping yoruself balanced on a bench with your feet up is just crazy.

and out of curiosity how much do you bench?

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I would say 1.5-1.75 times bodyweight is respectable and more than likely the weight is lifted with good form - no bouncing off the chest, and feet must be on the bench. Benchpress has never been my specialty either but like Dead-lifts, squats, it is a must exercise. I prefer dumbbell presses because they hit the all the pectoral muscle areas while the flatbench tends to tire the shoulders and triceps quicker thus negating any explosive power for quality reps. I do love close-grip benchpress and my chest gets a better pump with those. To shake things up I have been doing flat dumbbell presses on a ball and I have felt different muscle groups being hit as well as the abdominal region being worked by trying to balance on the ball. I also have been doing arnold presses on the ball and 35 lbs feels like 70 lbs. If you guys try the "ball" exercises let me know what you think. Lastly, (yeah I know I sure can talk,..) I see a lot of workout logs that indicate low reps 4-6 reps on exercises that are more conducive for 10-12 or maybe even 15 reps. I keep the core exercises Squats, Dead Lifts, Benchpress, etc, at the 10-12 rep range and never go lower than 8 if I can help it. Once a month I will do high reps of 15-30 to shock the fast twitch fibers and give the slow twitch a break. This routine has worked out real well and my strength has shot through the roof. Have any of you guys shocked your bodies like that? Any other ideas?
Wow, this is everything against what I do. But I PL and you need your feet on the ground to drive when benching. Along with a nice arch, shoulders pulled together.

ICEBERG

Awards
I was afraid of this... I did not want to come off sounding as my method or technique was the sure-fire way. It's just that I saw better results with my chest workouts with feet-up. As Power-lifters go I understand that the focus is on strength, mass, and power. I do not advise Powerlifters to change their methods- it's obvious that you know the right form and technique, however, as a bodybuilder who is always looking to shock my muscles and weight amounts don't matter to me just as long as I am getting quality 10-15 reps for most exercises excluding Benchpress, Squats, Deadlifts, where I look to hit 8-10 reps. If I had to estimate what my benchpress max would be - I would say 350 lbs. How about yourself?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was afraid of this... I did not want to come off sounding as my method or technique was the sure-fire way. It's just that I saw better results with my chest workouts with feet-up. As Power-lifters go I understand that the focus is on strength, mass, and power. I do not advise Powerlifters to change their methods- it's obvious that you know the right form and technique, however, as a bodybuilder who is always looking to shock my muscles and weight amounts don't matter to me just as long as I am getting quality 10-15 reps for most exercises excluding Benchpress, Squats, Deadlifts, where I look to hit 8-10 reps. If I had to estimate what my benchpress max would be - I would say 350 lbs. How about yourself?

havent maxed out in a while so these are questimates:

raw - 315-330
loose single ply - hit 385 yesterday and had plenty left, will see this weekend what max is
2ply - 495 off 2 board

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
485 feet on the ground!!!!! Hey iceberg, i see pansy ass PT teaching that to clients I go over and ***** slap 'em:trout:
Really though who ever taught you to bench with your feet up is not the brightest bulb. I challenge you to start benching properly and see where your chest development goes.

BTW where do you keep your thumb?

2x BW is respectable in my book!

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
315 is respectable. Its more than most cats in the gym will ever be able to do but should be attainalbe for most that are patient and train and eat properly. Anybody that can bench 2X their bodyweight is impressive. Its really all opinion though and my ultimate goal is 600lbs.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
315 is respectable. Its more than most cats in the gym will ever be able to do but should be attainalbe for most that are patient and train and eat properly. Anybody that can bench 2X their bodyweight is impressive. Its really all opinion though and my ultimate goal is 600lbs.

raw? only a couple people in the world have ever done that, if you can more power to you, with a shirt? will take a lot of work but definately possible

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It took me forever to get up to 1xBW, and that was when I was in the 170's. I almost never do less than 4-5 reps, and that is usually on deads.

My most recent bench max was 225x3 on incline. Not bad considering a year ago I was struggling with 135x6. My shoulders don't like flat BB bench, so I typically avoid it, but I may rotate it into my DC style program in a few months to see how it goes.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on your goal. In high school, I was 155-160, and I maxed out at 375, w/ respectable deads and squats(thats all my coach made us do). I needed alot of raw power for the sports I was in. Now, I'm 185-190, and I never max out, because I never grew much when training like that, and I have a more bodybuilding type mindset. In order for me to grow, I need to switch up the reps, form, speed, weight etc, in order to get the most growth; not to mention I don't just do 1 exercise for chest. So, yeah 1.25-1.75 is good, but it's not a standard and it only matters if you use perfect form, as with any/every exercise.
where you from rob?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't do flat, i do incline and i can do 340lbs for 8 reps, but i care more about squats and deads then bench press, i mainly use dumbbells for chest anyway. Oh and my inclines are done super strict, nice n slow with a pause at the bottom and they are in the smith machine, 340lbs is weight on the bar, i don't count the bar. I expect this and all my weights to go up quite a bit now that i'm training DC style. Flat bench has never agreed with my shoulders and i think it's overrated. I haven't done maxes in a longtime but i just typed in my weight into a 1 rep max calculator and it says i should be able to incline 422lbs for 1 rep, that's cool.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I don't do flat, i do incline and i can do 340lbs for 8 reps, but i care more about squats and deads then bench press, i mainly use dumbbells for chest anyway. Oh and my inclines are done super strict, nice n slow with a pause at the bottom and they are in the smith machine, 340lbs is weight on the bar, i don't count the bar. I expect this and all my weights to go up quite a bit now that i'm training DC style. Flat bench has never agreed with my shoulders and i think it's overrated. I haven't done maxes in a longtime but i just typed in my weight into a 1 rep max calculator and it says i should be able to incline 422lbs for 1 rep, that's cool.
Yeh, my question is how much can you DL, who cares about BP, to many variables!

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

but that's on a smith machine, it's completely different than free weights

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell, variables are there for any lift. You just pick the exercise/lift for the strength or endurance and body part you want.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Hell, variables are there for any lift. You just pick the exercise/lift for the strength or endurance and body part you want.
The only variable for deadlift is how much weight can ya pick up:D

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
AAAH, Smith Machine, man I need to read better, dude get out of that death trap!
the only thing that thing is good for is wrapping the straps of my squat and deadlift suits around to help jack them up

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
the only thing that thing is good for is wrapping the straps of my squat and deadlift suits around to help jack them up
Makes a nice towel rack and it's good for really short people to do pull-ups on.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
I used to use the Smith Machine when I first started lifting weights. It allowed me to familiarize myself with benching and squats. God knows that if I tried to do squats without the Smith Machine at first, I would have fallen over and crushed myself because my form was horrible and I had no experience. It kind of took away some of the danger of lifting without a spotter for me when I was a n00b.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
raw? only a couple people in the world have ever done that, if you can more power to you, with a shirt? will take a lot of work but definately possible
Yep 600lbs raw is my goal. I'm not even close right now though but have been recently started focusing all my efforts into increasing my bench. I think I have a chance to be a good bencher but have had alot of injuries that caused big pauses in my training. Its crazy how I put all my effort into benching and the highest I've gone is 400lbs(really pisses me off I couldn't get the 5 extra lbs to make it 4 wheels.lol). Yet my damn deadlift has been up to 600lbs and I don't even focus on it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, form has a lot to do with deadlifts and the grip plays a role into it as well if you want comparable numbers. And you guys beat the **** out of the smith machine but it can provide some nice exercises.

ICEBERG

Awards
Basso, I extend my thumbs out away from my fingers and never ever use a fist grip unless I am doing pull-ups or dips. I will go back to the "feet planted on floor" benchpress and see what happens. Again, I never profess to be a guru but you don't know what will happen unless you try it. Another example is Squats - some say "ass to the floor" is the proper form, others say "lower until parallel to mat" I learn by doing and if I like something I stick with it and suggest it to others. I think my post was misunderstood and I came off as someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer. Rest assured I truly enjoy engaging in these forums and chatting with people who love weight training as much as I do. I still have a ways to go - and I am starting a 6 month Certification Program this October to become a Personal Trainer. I am impressed by the weight you guys are throwing around- and its guys like you who fuel my fire and inspire me.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
but that's on a smith machine, it's completely different than free weights
Yeah...I'd say that once you get up to the 3 plate range, most smiths are about 30-40lbs shy.

At my best I was doing flat 315 x 9-10 and smith incline for the same reps while my regular incline was probably close to 275-285 for reps.

Right now, I'm recovering from a looooooooooooooooooooooong layoff and may be around 330 x 1. I got 295 x 6 last night, but after being back for only 3 weeks, I'm not too bumbed out...especially after 7 or so months of almost no gym time. haha.

And, I dunno why everyeone is so hard on the smith machine. Its pretty good for most pressing movements and is great for shrugs.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Basso, I extend my thumbs out away from my fingers and never ever use a fist grip unless I am doing pull-ups or dips.
That is kind of what I suspected, that is pretty dangerous and to be honest your losing valuable muscle involvement during the lift. To demonstrate, the next time your in the gym bench press an empty bar how you would normally do so, then grab the bar, squeeze and pull the bar apart as you lift it. You should feel quite a difference in muscle involvement as well as the power that is being left untapped by simply setting the bar on your hands. This holds true with most lifts and will help strengthen your grip, for a couple weeks try squeezing the bar on every movement and I bet your lifts will go up, which is always a good thing.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just take it easy to start. I found myself straining the hell out of my forearms by having too much of a death grip. Gave me good definition though :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 0
Admin Articles 5
Training Forum 32
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
Training Forum 3