Sicking to Routine or Switching It Up???

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive developed a theory as far as training specific muscle groups. I understand most people develop training routines to follow for periods of time and use certain exercises to hit a specific muscle group. But how does not sticking to those routines and just doing what feels good and throwing in different excercises for a certain muscle on diff. days sound???

I was thinking that it would train the muscle to adapt in different ways. Not letting it get used to a specific movement. Does this sound good or is it just another crazy theory in my madman brain? Should one just stick to the tried and true way of routines for a couple months and then switch it up?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me personally it is not enough structure, but there are members that do that type of thing. I believe BigPeteFox does something to that tune.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I agree with mullet. With a structured work out I can track my gains much easier, and see what types of training allow me to get stronger and grow. When "doing what feels good" I feel I sometimes want to do my favorite exercises all the time, and often find myself getting bored in the gym.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
a lot of big time powerlifters have a basic layout and play it by ear when they get in the gym.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I usually keep one main staple and then do different exercises I recently switched to a MAX OT style but I still change exercises examples
Chest Flat Bench stays then i might do incline presses incline bench flat flyes decline presses whatever I feel like

BAck Wide grip lat pulldowns always then i could do seated rows dumbell rows whatever

It keeps me from getting bored and as long as I keep one mainstay to gauge strength increases I am good.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i kind of do the same mixed, a main exercise then with the others try to switch it up if i feel i have done one or two exercises often enuff.

i understand the reasoning of keepin it structured and is mainly to gauge gains, but i feel i can tell how much stronger i am getting based on feel...you can say its not accurate but hey as long as i am growing and getting stronger its works for me. when my gains start to slow down or stop then i will be more precise in my training i.e. keeping logs.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i kind of do the same mixed, a main exercise then with the others try to switch it up if i feel i have done one or two exercises often enuff.

i understand the reasoning of keepin it structured and is mainly to gauge gains, but i feel i can tell how much stronger i am getting based on feel...you can say its not accurate but hey as long as i am growing and getting stronger its works for me. when my gains start to slow down or stop then i will be more precise in my training i.e. keeping logs.
Exactly. It is not a very scientific approach, but I feel if it works for you then keep doing it. For me personally, I have to be structured or else I feel like I'm not getting anything done.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
good to see im not crazy
Your not crazy but one thing i do do is keep a log of my workouts even though the exercises may change the log gives me a structure. The one main exercise lets me see changes weekly and monthly but the log also lets me see changes for instance in may i might have done decline presses so the next time i do decline presses I can still see if the weight has changed.
I have actually logged all my workouts since DEC 1st on an excel spreadsheet so i can go back any day any month for the last 7.5 months and see what i did and where I am at. On cycle, Off cycle during PCT.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like something i need to do but not sure if i want to walk in a crowded gym and write in a log....i think i need to develop some structure tho' because in the gym sometimes i dont even count reps i just do them. Like today i was trying 5x5 style but some sets i would go for 8 reps etc. some exercises i went 5x5 some i went 4x10, didnt really feel that good of a workout im thinking i might just respond better to high reps but then again my energy was just not there today.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sounds like something i need to do but not sure if i want to walk in a crowded gym and write in a log....i think i need to develop some structure tho' because in the gym sometimes i dont even count reps i just do them. Like today i was trying 5x5 style but some sets i would go for 8 reps etc. some exercises i went 5x5 some i went 4x10, didnt really feel that good of a workout im thinking i might just respond better to high reps but then again my energy was just not there today.

OH i just log it in when i get back home or back to the office. I know what you mean about writing in a log in the gym I do a max ot style workout so only work 2 body parts at most so it's pretty easy to remember the exercises.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
do you try hard to just stick with a set amount of reps per excersize?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
do you try hard to just stick with a set amount of reps per excersize?

I'm on a max ot workout right now So I need a min of 4 max of 6 If i can get more than 6 I move up in weight. I also like to do a 1 rep max while on cycle.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mixed- can you post me a link or a good site where i can read on details on Max OT??? Im looking to do the same i heard of something else like that i think german something.... I'll give you rep points if you can ;]