Body Weight Training Programs?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys have any resources for good body weight training programs? Like programs that consist of just different types of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, and maybe the addition of some barbell/dumbell shoulder press exercises 9unless there is a really good body weight way to train shoulders/traps, I can't think of one right now)? I have found some but they are usually scarce on what level to start, frequency, when to progress, etc. ? Any thoughts,

Mr.50

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you guys have any resources for good body weight training programs? Like programs that consist of just different types of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, and maybe the addition of some barbell/dumbell shoulder press exercises 9unless there is a really good body weight way to train shoulders/traps, I can't think of one right now)? I have found some but they are usually scarce on what level to start, frequency, when to progress, etc. ? Any thoughts,

Mr.50
look in grappling magazine or mma martial arts. they have alot type in catch wrestling in a search engine and you will find tony cechinne or matt furey they both have great programs bases on body weight. If you get past all their bs sales spiel the exercises work. lots of boxing dvds muay thai also work lots of body wweight exercises

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Check out Ross Enamait's material. Never Gymless would be what you looking for. Awesome info. and he is a true stand up guy.

Aside from that, you are only really limited by your imagination. Handstand pushups are great for yor delts amongst other things. Traps, why not grab a dumbell and do some snatches. Superset with bodyweight squats and chins and you're good to go. Hope this helps.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys thanks for all the great responses. I am possibly going back to school for a year so I want to be able to focus on overally fitness and feeling healthy so I was thinking of putting together a program that will allow me to be fit both aerobically and anaerobically but at a lighter weight and I figure if I start to focus on strength relative to total body weight it will be good for me.

Mr.50

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You can do dips or upside down shoulder presses for shoulders, and do like a reverse row by rowing your body up to a bar in the powerrack with your legs elevated. Pushups in a powerrack with chains or pushups between chairs. Dips will pound traps and shoulders. Bench dips, body weight squats, jump squats, one legged squats, chin ups, pull ups, hyper extensions, reverse hyper extensions, tricep extensions by REALLY leaning forward and grabbing a bar int he powerrack and extend your arms to straighten you body. Ok that's all i can think of for now.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro ver comprehensive. Anyone have anything more specific as far as frequency of times to train each body part per week, volume (reps and sets), rest periods between sets etc. I know i could train the same frequency as usual but becasue the intensity of say push ups to failure (many reps) is not the same as the intensity of say bench press (heavy weight relatively lower reps to failure) I am wondering if all the variables of frequency, duration, volume, etc should really be the same or vastly different?

Thanks guys.

Mr.50

You can do dips or upside down shoulder presses for shoulders, and do like a reverse row by rowing your body up to a bar in the powerrack with your legs elevated. Pushups in a powerrack with chains or pushups between chairs. Dips will pound traps and shoulders. Bench dips, body weight squats, jump squats, one legged squats, chin ups, pull ups, hyper extensions, reverse hyper extensions, tricep extensions by REALLY leaning forward and grabbing a bar int he powerrack and extend your arms to straighten you body. Ok that's all i can think of for now.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You could most likely hit everything twice a week, throw planks and other core stuff in their as well and that should be good.

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Check out Rossboxing.com. He has a lot of info. on the home page as well as a free newsletter with lots of advice. If I seem to be pushing his name, it's only because he is a stand up guy who will answer emails personally and go out of his way to help. I like seeing people like that succeed.

The thing with bodyweight exercises is that you can make them as easy or as difficult as you want. You can do them daily, just vary the intensity, duration etc.

As far as aerobic conditioning, burpees absolutely kick ass. You can do burpees twice a week, and sprints twice week and be done with each session within 10-15 minutes.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ah bro you predicted my next question, any opinions on good resources for the most effective simplified core training regimines? I am not sure but are planks when you are in a push-up position but on your elbows instead of your hands and you hold? Of course there is a side variation for obliques etc.? Or am I thinking of something else?

Mr.50

You could most likely hit everything twice a week, throw planks and other core stuff in their as well and that should be good.