squats

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i was squatting (the bar) in the gym few days back and i was going a little past parallel.
in the middle of my set when i was near rep number 5ish some guy stares at me comes over and says to only go 90 because my knees will buckle.
now i know i should ignore people who say to only go 90, but i did notice my knees were kinda buckling when i go below parallel, so what can i do to decrease buckling? im pretty sure i can still go below parallel though, righT?

thanks

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the ab/adductors will help you with that. ignore the guy, too many guys in the gym talk the talk but dont walk the walk

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh haha i see ok thanks yea the good girl/ bad girl machines haha

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haha i didnt make it up guyfromkop referred to em as that lol

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
everyone knows the good girl/bad girl machines :D

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I can't go past parallel because of my knees.

If you don't have joint issues though - do it carefully.

Good form always.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya, good form and working your way up with the weight. Also, if you're a big legged guy, going below 90 can put stress on the knees you don't want.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
what's worse is if you're 6'3" and going past parallel. I don't think us tall guys have it very easy other than maybe pulling with our long limbs. :)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, that's a pain too. I think ataying at 90 or slightly higher, won't kill ya.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually a lot of knee issues come from form problems, if your knees go past your toes when you are down in the hole it puts major strain on your knee joints. if you can go below parallel, do it, once you go past parallel the gluts and hammies play more of a role and everything works together. video taping yourself when you squat is a major eye opening experience, i personally tape myself every squat work to make sure i keep form.

and having big legs is a MAJOR pain in the a$$ when trying to get below parallel, my thighs are 32"s and it's not easy

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
I have found this to be a great article on squatting and may help you with your knee problem. It is written by Dave Tate from WSB: Squat 900 Pounds

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
and having big legs is a MAJOR pain in the a$$ when trying to get below parallel, my thighs are 32"s and it's not easy
I feel your pain. I'm 5'6" with 27" thighs and it sucks trying to get below parallel (as little as I have to squat down :D).

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like mentioned above, if you don't have joint issues then go past parallel.

I, myself, go ass to grass with squats. :D

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea im six foot two lanky so squats suck
especially with a weak core i have to squat the damn bar

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I usually do a really deep set during warmup, but If I try to go ATG with anything over 300lbs it feels like my knees are going to explode. I work hard to get a tight arch and keep my butt back too. Ill usually hit parallel or a little below.

BV

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea im six foot two lanky so squats suck
especially with a weak core i have to squat the damn bar
lol I squat 85 lbs. Don't feel bad. I think I would have a hard time squatting bodyweight without a bar. Legs are my weakest point but that's just more motivation to assassinate them on Leg day

:icon_lol:

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Arse to the grass is the only way to squat:D If somebody tells me I'm squatting to deep (which doesn't happen very often once you can pile a bunch of weight on the bar) I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows. I understand it's not possible for some but if your capable why would you apply stress to your knees by stopping half way in the movement and only work part of your legs, full motion squats will develop your legs much better then half squats!
I only would give crap to those 10-25% or 1/4 squaters though!:squat:

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows.
Really? I never bring the bar all the way down but I stop about 2 inches above my chest. I try to keep the tension thru most of the motion but I always hear people saying to do the full motion and bring it down to your chest..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How dare you question Basso's sarcasm and make him explain himself!?!?!?!?

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Moyer!

Was this always available? I coudn't find it the other day... must have been too early for my brain to completely function.

:hammer:

:squat: :squat: :squat: :squat:

:wave:

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Arse to the grass is the only way to squat:D If somebody tells me I'm squatting to deep (which doesn't happen very often once you can pile a bunch of weight on the bar) I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows. I understand it's not possible for some but if your capable why would you apply stress to your knees by stopping half way in the movement and only work part of your legs, full motion squats will develop your legs much better then half squats!
I only would give crap to those 10-25% or 1/4 squaters though!:squat:

Bump, ATG squats have developed my legs better than when I use to go parallel. It sucks though being 6'3" 6'4ish, seems like it is forever going down and coming up.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the day i can ATG squat 135 for 10 reps is when my legs will be tree trunks.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i go parallel, on the first couple reps a little below but usually parallel that way i can get around 7 reps and i squat the bar

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Keep it up man and it will all pay off sooner than later.

i go parallel, on the first couple reps a little below but usually parallel that way i can get around 7 reps and i squat the bar

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what do you mean stats?
like how much i weigh and stuff?

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
age 15
weight 146 (150 last week until i lost 4-5 pounds this damn week)
1 RM bench: right now probably 120
squat: i dunno i squat the bar
deadlift: i deadlift 85 but its painful (see "this is rediculous" thread)
bb curl; no max but i rep 5 each sid of the EZ bar
skulls: same as curls

uhh anything else?

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Stick with it, be diligent about your diet and you will grow.

age 15

uhh anything else?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Keep it up, starting right will take you farther, faster then following the crowd.

Story time: When I was 21 I was exposed to some real lifters for the first time in my life, and these did squats. I looked down at my chicken legs and realized that I could probably bench double what I could squat so I started squating. Had absolutely no idea what I was doing, I even used Ace bandages around my knees to emulate the other lifters, but I made progress and after a year my squat equaled my bench. Then one day a guy approaced me, he was about 5'6" 180lbs (he had a 600+ to the grass squat) and he told me I was doing it all wrong. For the next 2 years we became partners (mentor/student accually). My squat went from 315x5 to 135x6, but within the next 2 years I entered my first meet and got green lights with 525lbs.

The moral of my little tale is you can do something wrong make a little progress, or you can do it right and make a lot of progress! BTW my legs blew up in those 2 years, and I looked stupid with huge thighs and little upper body, oh yeh deep squats work!
:bb:

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
age 15
bro...stop whining like you're the only one that's weak :icon_lol:

j/k but seriously...

take a look @ my journal lol im on the same boat you are.
BUMP to what Ronin said, it's hard at first but it's all about routine. You'll start growing a bit even if you're diet isnt all that great but IMO your body will ask you for more food and little by little you'll find yourself eating more and it actually being fairly easy to stuff your face.(at least this is how it is for me)

I just started coming off of antibiotics from a surgery I had a while back but the doc has lowered my dosage little by little so I should be done with it by the end of this week (Sunday).

I noticed you don't have a log....why don't you start 1 up next week?

It's all about consistency bro! good luck!

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whats a log?
my ****ing rotator cuffs are weak so i can barely do anything compound for upper

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
whats a log?
my ****ing rotator cuffs are weak so i can barely do anything compound for upper
a log is just something to track your training and progress with the weights and you can talk about how your doing and diet, etc