bent over bb rows

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok so i see these instruction vids for them and they use momentum to get the bar to their abs, then it comes straight down again

then when i do them inn the gym, i do each rep deliberately without momentum, pause at my upper abs while bringing my elbows as high as i can, then lower it under control with perfect form (i have to do the bar with perfect form)

which is better for mass/strength and who is right?

how do u do them?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have the educated answer but I do every exercise with my intentions of not using momentum to move the bar.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I believe both have their place. When you are using momentum, you are able to lift heavier, thus stimulating new growth. Strict form also has it's place to learn the exercise, perfect it, move up in weight as you progress. The short answer is both are fine :)

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do these on back day, which was today, your form must be perfect to work correctly, I call it the duck butt :) you have to arch your back and stick up your booty and pull to the bottom of your rib cage and then down. It a great mass builder for the back if done correctly :)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I believe both have their place. When you are using momentum, you are able to lift heavier, thus stimulating new growth. Strict form also has it's place to learn the exercise, perfect it, move up in weight as you progress. The short answer is both are fine :)
HEY!

Go answer the 100% proper form question over at IM they could use this info :)

CROWLER

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
They probably use bad form to look good in the videos ie. more weight

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
use slow, perfect form and hold at the top for a sec. let the weight down slow and controlled and feel the stretch in the upper/mid back muscles. I'm guessing that you are young and are somewhat novice to lifting so you need to work on your form and build a solid foundation/core before using heavier weights and looser form..

peace!

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established

Agreed, they both are advantages and can be combined. i.e. 8 reps to failure with strict form + 2 additional reps using momentum. I don't disagree that strict form is important, but you strict only people are missing out on a whole dimension of growth!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Viperspit, they both have their place, you have to understand that once you get into some HEAVY HEAVY weights a little body english is ok, fact is big weights build big muscles, i don't mean get sloppy but i'll use explosive form on my heavy rows and it works great for me. Just like with pulldowns once you get into heavier weights literally everyone leans back atleast a little. Just remember only cheat to make the exercise more difficult not less, so by using moment on bb rows you can use heavier weights and their for fatigue more muscle fibers.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
two things quickly:

1) define going "heavy" or lifting "heavy"

2) explain y using momentum would be good for anything, like for example if im swinging a DB up on lateral raises im not working my deltoids well or if im using momentum to get my feet up in leg raises im not working my abs very well.. so explain why it would be different here

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
i.e. with bent-over rows, I can do 275lbs strict for sets of 8, but some days I'll put on 315 and do 6-8 reps the last 3-4 are not strict but I'm still utilizing my lats to raise the weight with momentum from the body, it's a form of overloading. It's not a totally out of control movement but controlled overloading. This does not work well for every exercise obviously that's why bands/chains/boards are tools used to help overload specific areas of a lift.

Failure all the time is not good, but it definitely has it's place, how do you expect to gain if you don't push past what your body can normally handle? I know there is a following behind the no failure crowd, but not to many of them are very big. (I didn't say all) If you've never utilized it how do you know it won't work for you? jmho

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what muscles does the bent over bb row work then if it doesnt directly work lats (which i thought it did) ??

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
what muscles does the bent over bb row work then if it doesnt directly work lats (which i thought it did) ??
It Definately works your lats. It also works your traps, romboids and teres major and minor, rear delts, biceps and forearms.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Lats are primary with several secondaries, it is more of a compound movement, but can be utilized as an isalatory movement. Kind of like Squats, definitely compound but using different foot/bar placement etc. you can isolate different heads.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Good posting Basso, and ya they also work your errectors, but like basso said using looser form only works on some exercises. Like say barbell curls when you can't use perfect form anymore swing the weight up and do a slow controlled negative, this is effectively cheating, but i'm not talking a huge swing where your going to hurt yourself, lol.

tplant

Awards
I'm a moron but which way do you grip the bar when doing it? I used to do it with my wrists facing in(as in reverse curls) but since doing it with wrists out I seem to feel more of a stretch. Just wondering if there is a proper way?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Both are good the palms down way is the standard way, palms up will hit more of the lower lats.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
either way is fine, if you like both switch! Palms facing away from you is going to involve Bis more, palms facing back is going to be your core, heavy lat movement.
You can normally get an idea of which muscles are going to be used by ghost lifting :blink: (yeh I get that look). While you are sitting there take your arm and extend it in front of you, face your palm down, flex everything and bring an imaginary bar toward your chest, then do it with your palms facing the other direction. Feel the difference of the arm/lat involvement?

tplant

Awards
either way is fine, if you like both switch! Palms facing away from you is going to involve Bis more, palms facing back is going to be your core, heavy lat movement.
You can normally get an idea of which muscles are going to be used by ghost lifting :blink: (yeh I get that look). While you are sitting there take your arm and extend it in front of you, face your palm down, flex everything and bring an imaginary bar toward your chest, then do it with your palms facing the other direction. Feel the difference of the arm/lat involvement?
Actually yeah, thanks a lot man.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established

Good advice. I'm in the process of experimenting with palms away grip and my forearms get so freakin sore/pumped from heavy Rows they give out before my Lats. So the palms facing away grip will aid with this.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Good advice. I'm in the process of experimenting with palms away grip and my forearms get so freakin sore/pumped from heavy Rows they give out before my Lats. So the palms facing away grip will aid with this.
I wouldn't normally advise using wrist wraps, but have you tried them to help alleviate this? Another thing that helps is squeezing the bar, I know it sounds like the opposite would be true but give it a try.