Squat form & pain

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'm having pain in my upper/inner thighs during squats. It usually hits me the hardest when I'm coming back up and I'm almost to the top of the lift. Any guesses as to what's causing this? It's possible that I have too wide of a stance or that I point my toes outward too much. If I use a narrower stance and point my toes forward, it feels a little better, but then it's more awkward for my knees. Is it possible that I somehow strained it and I just need to take a break from squats for a week or two? I'm not even lifting that heavy, it actually feels fairly light, but it still hurts. Any ideas???

:good:

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how much do you weigh? how much are you squatting? when was the last time you took a break?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'm 6'2", 190lbs, 10-12%BF. I've only been squatting seriously for a few months now. I generally start w/ a set of 135 and work up to around 200. I do slow, controlled reps because I've never felt totally comfortable squatting. Almost always 8-12 reps per set. This is my current split:

Mon: Bench, Decline DB Bench, Arnold Raises, Tri's
Tues: Squats, Pull Ups, Leg Curls, Cable Rows, Curls
Wed: Off
Thurs: DB Incline Bench, Dips, Machine Shoulder Press, Tri's
Fri: Leg Press & Ext's, Chins, Leg Curls or SLDLs, Row Machine, Curls
Sat & Sun: Off

I generally add in calves & shrugs twice a week on whatever days I have more energy.

I like the increased frequency, so I keep volume low. Usually 2-3 sets on most exercises, but I do 4 sets of squats. My muscles are sometimes sore a day or two after but always feel good by the next workout day. Friday tends to be my "half-ass day" if I had a long week.

I haven't taken a week off since March, but I've only been doing the 2x/week split for 5 weeks.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I'm having pain in my upper/inner thighs during squats. It usually hits me the hardest when I'm coming back up and I'm almost to the top of the lift. Any guesses as to what's causing this? It's possible that I have too wide of a stance or that I point my toes outward too much. If I use a narrower stance and point my toes forward, it feels a little better, but then it's more awkward for my knees. Is it possible that I somehow strained it and I just need to take a break from squats for a week or two? I'm not even lifting that heavy, it actually feels fairly light, but it still hurts. Any ideas???

:good:
I would've thought that squatting with a wide stance would put more of a strain on your hips than it would your upper and inner thighs. Are you leaning forward at all during your squats? That would be the only thing I could think of because that would change the focus from your glutes and hamstrings to your quads. This is just a guess on my part though, so take it for what it's worth.

rocketscientist

Awards
I'd suggest to take a week or two off from squatting and stretch your hamstrings - do other leg exercises instead.

This happens to me sometimes (rarely) though only on one side, not both and has a specific cause (like 'pulling a muscle' due to cramps or so). And leaning back during squats is usually good... I don't think you can lean back too much (without falling backwards).

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
take a week off, it will help you grow better and you definately need it