Fry Your Tri's

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Fry Your Tri's
by Craig Ballantyne, C.S.C.S.

HERE'S WHY

To make horseshoes, you have to hammer iron. And as much as you love to pump your tri's with set after set on the pushdown, you'll never be able to hit them hard enough to forge the big horseshoe-shaped muscles on your arms that you desire. That's because the pushdown isolates your triceps, preventing them from working in conjunction with bigger muscles to lift heavier weights and thereby hammer out thicker horseshoes. The close-grip bench press accomplishes all that and more-working your chest and shoulder muscles while allowing you to boost your bench-press power at the same time.
HERE'S WHAT YOU DO

Set up as you would for a normal bench press, but grab the bar at shoulder width (hands about 14 inches apart). Take the bar off the support rack [1] and lower it to the lower part of your chest (your sternum) [2]. As you lower the bar, tuck your elbows against your sides so that your upper arms are angled about 45 degrees to your torso at the bottom. Press the bar back up in a straight line.

Men's Fitness: Fry Your Tri's

phasar

Awards
  • Established
if i were to go to the gym 2 days a week. and do delt,bi,tri & legs on one, and back+chest on the other.

how would u recommend incorporating cg benchpress?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
go in the power rack and set the pins about 4" above your chest, load the bar up and do close grip benches, reset each rep, do 2x8 VERY heavy, you're tris will scream like non other.

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dude I do close grip 315 and still there just thick no cuts. I puts some cuts on my letter to Santa though.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what's your bf at? you have cuts they are probably just hidden

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
About 111111 fat BeeaacccHH !!!!!!!!! No I dont know prob in the abs 18% every place else about 9%.

rocketscientist

Awards
Don't know - close grip BP never really hit my tris that hard...

What works for me however are dips, weighted dips. Hits the chest, shoulder, lats (somewhat) and the last two sets have my arms shaking at the top part of the exercise (inching my way up).... Many gyms don't have weight-belts though, so you probably have to get your own.

Am I the only one doing this...

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
No.. I do the weighted dips as well now that my shoulder is fully healed. Always has been the best exercise for me to really :hammer: my tri's. They freaking looked like sides of beef hanging there this time last year. Trying like heck to get back to that point. I actually had to buy my own belt for this though.

What works for me however are dips, weighted dips. Hits the chest, shoulder, lats (somewhat) and the last two sets have my arms shaking at the top part of the exercise (inching my way up).... Many gyms don't have weight-belts though, so you probably have to get your own.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CGs are good, add a doubled mini-band to each side and they are great for triceps.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established

yes i feel doing dips is what really works the triceps the the Max. sometimes skull crushers though but Dips are the way to go.

Reverse Grip Bench Presses work somewhat well too